Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one response that best describes how your background meets the basic experience requirements for an Engineering Equipment Operator, WG-5716-10 position. Read all of the responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these minimum qualifications, you will be considered ineligible and will not receive consideration for this position.
THE RESUME OR APPLICATION MATERIALS YOU SUBMIT FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MUST SUPPORT THE ANSWERS YOU CLAIM UNDER THIS AND OTHER QUESTIONS. IF NOT, YOU WILL BE FOUND TO BE INELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION OR YOUR SCORE WILL BE LOWERED.
2. The duties of this position involve operation of vehicles that require the operator to possess a Commercial Driver's License with endorsements. From the descriptions below, select the one response that best describes your qualifications. If you select more than one response or leave this question blank, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.A. I possess a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank vehicle endorsement and current medical examiner's certificate. (You must provide a copy of your CDL and medical certificate in your application material).
Skill in the operation of engineering equipment and heavy motor vehicles.
For the questions below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The questions were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.
Be sure to describe the experience that supports your answers to the questions below, in your resume or application materials. It is important that your application package, include a resume or application form, and clearly shows how you possess the experience and skills levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
3. Operate road graders on steep and rough terrain to level and grade earth, including roads, to exact specifications.
4. Operate front-end loaders, bulldozers or excavators (or a combination of this heavy construction equipment) on steep slopes, rocky or soft ground or other surfaces with similar rough features to push, pull, pile, excavate, backfill, grade or load earth to specifications.
5. Operate tractor/trailer combination heavy trucks exceeding 50,000 lbs. on winding roads and steep grades.
6. Operate vibratory compactors to compact materials such as sand, gravel, earth or other road maintenance/repair materials.
7. Operate excavator or backhoe to excavate, backfill, grade or level earth to exact specifications for culvert installations.
8. Operate one or more types of engineering equipment to plow snow.
9. Operate straight truck or combination (truck and trailer) tank vehicles hauling liquids.
10. Routinely operate one or more types of the listed heavy equipment and heavy trucks and trailers on snow, ice or slick mud road conditions.
11. Operate one or more types of the listed heavy equipment and heavy trucks and trailers on narrow dirt and gravel one lane roads with soft road edges, intermittent pullouts and two-way traffic.
12. Attach trailers to heavy trucks and tractors and ensure all systems are safe and operational.
13. Load heavy equipment or other items on trailers and properly secure items for transport.
14. Back trucks and truck/trailer combinations in uphill, downhill and difficult terrain situations.
Ability to follow work practices including keeping things neat, clean and in order.
15. Perform and document comprehensive pre-start inspections on heavy equipment, heavy trucks and tractors/trailers including but not limited to formal operating system and airbrake checks.
16. Perform routine maintenance on heavy equipment, heavy trucks, and tractors/trailers such as but not limited to greasing, adding fluids and changing cutting edges/wear surfaces.
17. Maintain work areas, including heavy equipment and truck vehicle cabs in a clean and orderly condition meeting standards and requirements.
18. Adapt work plans to changing conditions; i.e., weather, crew strength, unexpected problems with equipment, tools or projects or other unforeseen circumstances.
19. Plan and assemble tools, materials, and equipment necessary when working in remote locations when return to base is not possible.
20. Use hand and power tools associated with heavy equipment and heavy truck maintenance and repairs such as air actuated equipment, hydraulic jacks, welders, grease guns, wrenches and other tools common to equipment maintenance.
21. Attach slings or chains and prepare unwieldy loads for safe lifting and the lifting and placing of such loads.
Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, and work orders.
22. Follow verbal instructions from supervisor.
23. Follow written instructions, maintenance standards and standard operating procedures to perform tasks.
24. Use computers, spreadsheets, databases, email programs for documenting work or communication.
25. Follow manufacturer's instructions for use of heavy equipment, power tools, trucks and vehicle.
26. Read and follow safety manuals on operation of tools and equipment.
27. Use blue prints, specifications, diagrams or work orders associated with road maintenance or earth moving to produce work meeting such specifications.
Ability to safely operate heavy equipment and motor vehicles.
28. Operate graders performing road grading, application of material to specified depths, building and maintaining road crown, and snow and ice removal/winging on roads up to 16% vertical grade, 6% horizontal grade adjacent to exposed dropoffs of up to 500 feet safely.
29. Operate bulldozers on steep and hilly terrain; plowing heavy snow and ripping ice up to 6 feet deep and operating on icy roads with 16% vertical grade, and an outward sloping sidehill grade up to 6% adjacent to exposed dropoffs from 30 to 500 feet safely.
30. Operate loaders up to 6 cubic yard size on steep and hilly terrain in snow and ice; plowing heavy snow and overboarding ice on icy roads with 16% vertical grade, and an outward sloping sidehill grade up to 6% adjacent to exposed dropoffs from 30 to 500 feet safely.
31. Operate excavators larger than Caterpillar 312 in tight and confined spaces and next to dropoffs while excavating trenches to grade for culvert installations safely.
32. Operate heavy equipment and vehicles safely, recognizing limits of operation for equipment or vehicle operated.
33. Inspect equipment, vehicles and tools on a regular, recurring basis to assure safe working conditions.
34. Assess winter weather, road conditions and methods/strategies for driving/operating vehicles and equipment on overflow and/or black ice.
35. Follow all safety work practices in performing heavy equipment and motor vehicle operator duties.
36. Use proper techniques to lift and carry heavy objects.
37. Assess and analyze work sites for safety issues and design work to mitigate them.
38. Your ratings in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning, 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.A. Yes, I verify that all of my responses to this questionnaire are true and accurate. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my application may be rated lower and/or I may be removed from consideration.