Applications for this vacancy will be accepted from U.S. Citizens, current and
former competitive service Federal employees, and candidates eligible under
special hiring authorities. Please indicate below how you would like to be
considered for this position. You may make more than one selection as
applicable. You will only be considered under the options you have selected, so
please choose carefully.
ALL U.S. CITIZENS - You may apply under open competitive procedures if you meet
the requirements for one of the following categories:
1. U.S. citizens with no prior Federal status
2. Applicants eligible for Veterans' Preference (Documentation Required for Veterans'
3. Applicants with Federal status (as defined below) who would like to be considered under
competitive examining procedures. Note: Federal status applicants selected
under competitive examining procedures will be required to serve a new
MERIT PROMOTION You may apply under Merit Promotion procedures if you meet the
requirements for one of the following categories:
1. Applicants with Federal status (i.e. current competitive service
Federal employee with career or career-conditional status; or former competitive
service Federal employee with reinstatement eligibility.) Your status is
identified in block 24 on your SF-50 and the position occupied may be found in
block 34 . You must provide a copy of the SF-50, Notification of Personnel
Action. Do not submit SF-50s for awards. You should also submit your most
recent performance appraisal.
2. Veterans eligible under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act
(VEOA). To be eligible, your latest discharge must be issued under honorable
conditions (honorable or general discharge), AND you must be either: a
preference eligible OR a veteran who substantially completed 3 or more years of
continuous active service. You must submit a copy of your DD-214.
NON-COMPETITIVE AUTHORITY - You may apply under Non-Competitive procedures if
you meet the requirements for one of the following categories:
1. Current competitive service Federal employees with career or
career-conditional status who hold a position with the same or higher promotion
potential as the position applying for; OR former competitive service
Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility who held a position with the
same or higher promotion potential as the position applying for. You must
provide a copy of the SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, showing the same
or higher promotion potential as that of the position applying for (i.e. initial
hire action, promotion action or reassignment action.) Do not submit SF-50s for
awards, within grade increases or pay adjustments.
2. Veterans eligible for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA). You are
eligible for a VRA appointment if you: are in receipt of a campaign badge for
service during a war or in a campaign or expedition, OR are a disabled veteran,
OR are in receipt of an Armed forces Service Medal for participation in a
military operation, OR are a recently separated veteran (within the last 3
years), AND separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or
general discharge). You must submit a copy of your DD-214. NOTE: VRA only
applies to positions at the GS-11 level and below.
3. 30% or more disabled veterans. You are eligible if you retired from active
military service with a service-connected disability rating of 30% or more OR
you have a rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs showing a compensable
service-connected disability of 30% or more. You must submit your DD-214, a
completed SF-15, and required documentation.
4. Military spouses whose active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent
Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while
on active duty. For further information, eligibility criteria and documentation
requirements, please visit:
5. Persons with Mental Retardation, Severe Physical Disabilities, or Psychiatric
Disabilities eligible for a Schedule A appointment. You must provide proof of
disability and certification of job readiness. For further information, please
6. Former Peace Corps or VISTA volunteers. You must provide documentation as
proof of non-competitive eligibility.
7. Employees in the excepted service under an OPM approved Interchange
1. Select the answer below that describes your education and/or experience as it relates to the basic qualification requirements for this position. If you select A, B, C or D, please submit a copy of your transcripts for verification.A. I have completed a bachelor's degree (or higher) in the biological sciences, agriculture, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Your responses to the questions below will be used in the evaluation of your qualifications for the Program Specialist (Agricultural Systems) position. Your resume and application materials must support the level of experience and/or education you claim in this questionnaire. If, after a complete review of your application package, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications, you may be rated ineligible for this position.
2. Choose one answer that best describes your experience for the GS-09 grade level.A. I have a master's degree in a field appropriate to this position or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent degree.
3. Choose one answer that best describes your experience for the GS-11 grade level.A. I have a Ph.D. in a field appropriate to this position or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a doctoral degree or equivalent degree.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
4. Participate as a member of a team conducting research, education or extension in plant or animal production.
5. Provide support to a research, education, or extension program in plant or animal production.
6. Participate in the development of a research, education, or extension program related to plant or animal production.
7. Contribute to the development of solicitations, programs, regulations, application kits, or special instructions pertaining to grant programs in plant or animal production.
8. Develop written reports, briefing papers, and/or presentation documents covering complex issues for recipients both within and outside of my organization.
9. Develop or revise policies, procedures, and schedules.
10. Contact individuals by telephone to request and obtain specific information, and recognize cultural differences and sensitivities when communicating with stakeholders.
11. Coordinate and collaborate with others to exchange program-related information and resolve problems.
12. Use basic office software programs (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) for business purposes to enter, store, track, manipulate, and retrieve information.
13. Assess the quality and accuracy of scientific data and information to present sound findings and/or recommendation to professional colleagues.
14. Prepare reports, collate information, track programs and projects, and ensure the accuracy and completeness of information transfer among documents and database systems.
15. Provide advice to applicants and administrative officials on technical procedures for submission of grant proposals and program process requirements.
16. Serve in a lead role in the research, education, or extension grants process, specifically as related to the biological sciences or economics. Such participation should include two or more of the following: solicitation development, proposal development, proposal evaluation, funding administration, or related activities.
17. Serve as an information source for applicants, grantees, user groups and other Federal agencies about the program goals, policies, and practices.
18. Advise applicants and grantees about the merit evaluation process and anticipated time frames for completing review and award process.
19. Develop and implement processes for monitoring post-award performance.