Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the choices below, please select the response that best describes your eligibility for this position.
Basic Education Requirement
2. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the basic education requirements for Historian, GS-0170. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these minimum qualifications, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.
YOUR RESUME OR APPLICATION MATERIALS YOU SUBMIT FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MUST SUPPORT THE ANSWER YOU CLAIM UNDER THIS AND OTHER QUESTIONS. IF NOT, YOU WILL BE FOUND NOT QUALIFIED OR YOUR SCORE WILL BE LOWERED.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE: If you are using education to qualify you must document your course work and/or degree completed in your resume or other application materials you submit. You must submit a copy of your transcripts or a complete list of college courses taken that identifies for each course the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade received, and date completed. If you are qualifying based on education and you do not submit specific course work information as described previously, your application will be rated not qualified for consideration. (A copy of your official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty, if selected).
3. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the specialized experience or education requirements for a Historian, GS-0170-09, position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank, you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these requirements, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.
4. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the specialized experience or education requirements for a Historian, GS-0170-11, position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank, you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these requirements, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position at the GS-11 level.
Knowledge of the history of American architecture, history of technology, or landscape architecture studies, including typologies, materials, building technologies, and industrial processes, and demonstrating familiarity with the scholarly literature and sources for research in the field.
For the questions below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The questions were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.
Be sure to describe your experience that supports your answers to the questions below, in your resume or application materials. It is important that your application package submitted, including a resume or application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skills levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
5. Research the background of historic structures and sites typical of the United States, and prepare specific descriptions of those structures or sites using on-site analysis and the relevant literature, properly cited, as part of class assignments and/or internships.
6. Determine adequacy of existing literature as it relates to a specific site, structure or cultural resources topic in the course of research. Experience gained either through coursework or internships.
7. Identify and analyze documents explaining the architectural and cultural history of historic structures typical of the United States.
Ability to conduct field research and analyze physical evidence relating to American architectural history, history of technology, or landscape history topics.
8. Perform historic inventory field work, such as that done on cultural resources survey or as part of a field school (Be sure to specifically describe this classroom and/or internship experience in your resume).
9. Evaluate and document the significance, integrity, and physical condition of historic structures and sites as part of a class assignment and/or internship.
10. Evaluate historic structures of the United States to determine structure evolution and fabric integrity, as part of a class assignment and/or internship. (Be sure to specifically describe this experience in your resume).
11. Write and prepare reports to HABS/HAER/HALS standards, or write and prepare a National Register nomination, Historic Structure Report, cultural resource inventory or survey, or an academic thesis that demonstrates familiarity with material evidence and an ability to discuss the alterations and evolution of a historic building or site. This also may include work done as part of a class seminar or field school.
Ability to communicate in writing on the topics of American architectural history, technology or landscape architecture studies using both primary and secondary sources.
12. Apply academic and professional expertise in the architecture of the U.S. in the preparation of HABS/HAER/HALS reports, Historic Structure Reports, and/or class assignments. (Be sure to specifically describe this experience in your resume).
13. Perform historical and technical research of historic structures and sites of the United States. Experience gained either through coursework or internships.
14. Analyze and evaluate historical documents and materials to determine their historic significance, including primary and secondary sources. Experience gained through writing papers as class assignments can be used.
15. Organize historical documents and materials for inclusion in report citations and bibliography, using the format outlined in The Chicago Manual of Style. Experience gained through writing papers as class assignments can be used.
16. Research and synthesize data for HABS/HAER/HALS reports, National Register nominations and Determinations of Eligibility, historic structure reports, and/or academic papers as part of coursework and/or internship projects.
17. Write text for and prepare HABS/HAER/HALS reports, National Register nominations and Determinations of Eligibility, Historic Structure Reports, and/or a class paper.
18. Prepare papers using desktop software. Use various software programs, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Photoshop.
19. Present historical research findings at academic and professional conferences and workshops, as well as in academic seminars.
20. Work cooperatively on a team with other professionals, such as historical architects, historical landscape architects, archaeologists, or other historians, or with other students, such as part of a class project or as part of the field team, to conduct condition assessments, prepare Historic Structure Reports, and oversee building preservation tasks.
Do not overstate or understate your level of education/experience and demonstrated capability. As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency.
21. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: understand this warning, have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.