1. Please indicate your eligibility to apply under Merit Promotion Procedures.A. I am a current or former civilian Federal employee in the competitive service that has: career or career-conditional status or reinstatement eligibility or are eligible under an interchange agreement. You must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action showing time-in-grade (52 weeks at the next lower grade)
2. Please indicate your eligibility to apply non-competitively.A. You are a current or former civilian Federal employee who has held a permanent position in the competitive service with the same or higher promotion potential as this position or are eligible under an interchange agreement. You must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action.
THE RESUME YOU SUBMIT FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MUST SUPPORT THE ANSWER YOU CLAIM UNDER THIS AND OTHER QUESTIONS. IF NOT, YOU WILL BE FOUND NOT QUALIFIED OR YOUR SCORE WILL BE LOWERED.
3. From the descriptions below, select the letter that describes the education or experience you have that demonstrates your ability to perform GS-0301-12 External Affairs Specialist work.A. I have at least one year of specialized experience that is equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service. Specifically, specialized experience is described as experience developing and applying knowledge of external affairs and crisis communications strategies during disasters and emergencies.
Choose the answer for each task statement from the list below that best describes your knowledge of emergency management systems as it relates to establishing and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders and implementing external affairs activities.
For each of the task statements below, please select the response that best indicates the skill level that you possess for each task listed. Please select only one letter for each item. The task statements were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position. Be sure to describe the experience that supports your responses to the task statements below in your resume. It is important that your application package submitted, including a resume or application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skills levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your resume submitted for this position.
4. Establish, maintain and enhance functional relationships with members of Congress, federal, tribal and state/local governments, news media, private sector organizations, and other appropriate organizations and associations.
5. Ability to coordinate, develop and maintain a working relationship with congressional district offices in the region and track records of all events pertinent to each congressional office.
Choose the answer for each task statement from the list below that best describes your skill in analyzing and developing recommendations from a wide array of conflicting and divergent sources.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
6. Evaluate the impact and effectiveness of informational materials designed to reach various audiences.
7. Experience utilizing a high level of expertise to research, write and/or edit information on programs, policies and functions.
8. Experience preparing probing and innovative analyses that explain complex issues with a broad impact.
9. Experience sorting and compiling information in broad subject fields, where users need specialized and complex information such as reports of advanced scientific research or information on complex, conflicting, incomplete or unclear issues.
Choose the answer for each task statement from the list below that best describes your skill in developing communications plans and products designed to help affected groups understand emergency management issues.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
10. Develops and implements clear, concise and timely communication plans for highly visible agency-wide and regional initiatives related to disaster response and recovery, preparedness, prevention and mitigation.
11. Conceives, develops and implements emergency and hazards awareness campaigns designed to lessen the effects of disasters and other emergencies.
12. Coordinates major press conferences and interviews of agency officials, and assists leadership in handling both crisis and non-crisis special events, using a style that upholds credibility and audience interest.
13. Prepares and reviews all correspondence from congressional offices and develops responses for Regional Administrator's signature or coordinates with appropriate division.
Choose the answer for each task statement from the list below that best describes your skill in oral communication.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
14. Represent the agency as a recognized external affairs authority in a variety of settings, provides interpretation of agency external affairs programs, policies and procedures.
15. Serve as agency contact with counterparts in federal, tribal state/local and voluntary agencies and organizations participating in the operation of External Affairs in the Joint Field Office (JFO) and other field-related activities.
16. Maintains contact and works with public information officers from other federal, tribal and state/local agencies in planning, training and exercising functional plans of External Affairs in disaster response and recovery.
17. Secures and conduct interviews with news organizations on disaster issues and other information.