Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
Basic Requirements for Archeologist, GS-0193
1. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the education requirements for an Archeologist, GS-0193 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible.
Additional qualification requirements
2. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the specialized experience or education requirements for an Archeologist GS-0193-09. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these minimum qualifications, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.
Ability to apply laws, regulations, and policies relating to the management and protection of cultural resources.
For each task listed below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The statements were
developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.
Be sure to describe your experience that supports your answers to the statements below, in your resume or application materials. It is important that your application package submitted, including a resume or application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skills levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
3. Understand the various laws and regulations that concern archaeological site protection, and those that are necessary to accurately assess the short-term and long-term effects of a variety of federal undertakings on cultural resources.
4. Apply the requirements of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act to determine compliance of proposed development actions. Plan and conduct compliance activities in accordance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and Review project proposals to determine needed compliance levels.
5. Conduct archeological work in accordance with the Secretary of Interior Guidelines for Historic Preservation.
6. Use appropriate criteria for determining eligibility to the National Register of Historic Places.
Skills in carrying out archaeological investigations for the purposes of identifying and recording prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, including historic ruins, features and isolated artifacts.
7. Lead archeological surveys to discover historic and/or prehistoric sites over large landscapes.
8. Plan and carry out shovel testing or excavations to make determinations of historic significance and Prepare extensive and detailed field notes documenting archeological findings.
9. Assess conditions of archeological and historical sites using set criteria.
10. Analyze or oversee analysis of artifacts and other materials.
11. Apply scientific methodology in planning and undertaking archeological investigations.
12. Identify and use pertinent ecological data in analysis of cultural resources.
13. Conduct cultural resource investigations and inventories to develop and maintain a cultural resource information base.
14. Develop professional research designs, methods, and techniques in planning field studies to continually update and expand the cultural resource information base.
15. Serve as a principal investigator on archeology projects, responsible for planning, budgeting, hiring, directing the work of others and carrying out all aspects of project implementation through report completion and curation of collections.
16. Experience with the use of Geographical Information Systems and Global Positioning Systems in recording, evaluating and the report writing process for cultural resources and experience in processing and archiving these data.
Research and document findings in a scientifically credible manner
17. Conduct literature review and on-site studies to understand history and prehistory of area.
18. Conduct library and archival research in support of field investigations.
19. Conduct research in separate subject areas and subfields of anthropology to inform findings.
20. Research multiple themes and diverse resource types.
21. Use research materials to support scientific conclusions.
22. Write technical reports based on archeological findings.
23. Write popular archeological reports.
24. Write professional publications that are peer reviewed.
Use modern technology in support of archeological investigations.
25. Use computer database programs for tracking archeological information.
26. Use GIS or similar computer mapping programs to document site and feature locations.
27. Use GPS or related technology in collecting site location information.
28. Prepare maps, charts, graphs and other supporting documents for technical reports using GIS or other appropriate software.
29. Geo-reference digital field photos.
Ability to work in a team environment, including collaborating with members of the public, local communities and other professionals.
30. Work with an interdisciplinary team in an office setting.
31. Work with an interdisciplinary team in a backcountry setting.
32. Consults with interdisciplinary team members on projects being undertaken.
33. Make contact with members of the public, local communities and professionals in other organizations.
34. Coordinate and advise on mutual work efforts.
Please answer Yes or No to the following questions. You must document this experience or your score may be lowered.
35. Transport to remote areas using helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, motorized and non-motorized watercraft, or by hiking.A. Yes
36. Live in an outdoor setting in tents or other substandard lodging for long periods of time (2 weeks or more) without modern amenities.A. Yes
37. Hike for long distances with heavy loads in remote locations.A. Yes
38. Survey, shovel test or excavate in inclement weather including wind, rain, cold and heat.A. Yes
39. Hike or camp in areas where wildlife encounters were possible, including those with bears.A. Yes
40. My experience has been obtained working primarily at historic archeological sites.A. Yes
41. My experience has been obtained working primarily at prehistoric archeological sites.A. Yes
42. My experience has been obtained working at both historic and prehistoric archeological sites, and I feel equally qualified to conduct or lead studies at either type of site.A. Yes
43. My experience has been obtained working primarily with NHPS Section 106 compliance driven projects.A. Yes
Please answer Yes or No to the following questions.
44. I have a valid driver's license.A. Yes
45. I am willing to work overtime as required.A. Yes
46. I am willing and able to hike in the backcountry, both on and off trail, in inclement weather, under sometimes hazardous conditions, carrying heavy loads, and over a period of several days or weeks.A. Yes
47. I am willing to acquire a firearm certification and carry a firearm for protection against wildlife if required to do so.A. Yes
48. I am willing to live temporarily in a small, isolated community.A. Yes
49. I have experience hiking in the backcountry, both on and off trail, in inclement weather, under sometimes hazardous conditions, carrying heavy loads, and over a period of several or weeks.A. Yes
50. I have experience in working in remote locations in Alaska.A. Yes
51. I have experience working in remote locations in wilderness.A. Yes