Specialized Experience Requirements
1. From the description below, select the one response that best describes how your background meets the specialized experience requirements for the Environmental Protection Specialist GS-0028-11 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these requirements, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.
YOUR RESUME OR APPLICATION MATERIALS YOU SUBMIT FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MUST SUPPORT THE ANSWER YOU CLAIM UNDER THIS AND OTHER QUESTIONS. IF NOT, YOU WILL BE FOUND NOT QUALIFIED OR YOUR SCORE WILL BE LOWERED.
KSA-1. Ability to establish and foster effective partnerships through the environmental planning and compliance process to assure public and other agency participation in order to build support for enhancing and protecting park resources.
For the task statements below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The task statements were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.
Be sure to describe the experience that supports your responses to the task statements below in your resume or application materials. Each of your responses must be supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
2. Perform natural resource management planning, oversight and environmental analysis to ensure appropriate National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance and related regulations or requirements, and address concerns of upper management.
3. Communicate planning and National Environmental Policy Act activities and procedures to customers such as special interest groups, other officials, Indian tribes, and the general public.
4. Use leadership and negotiation techniques when working with a variety of officials and groups of people with diverse backgrounds and differing views on resource management policies and approaches on public lands.
5. Provide technical reports to audiences with different levels of understanding.
6. Maintain close contact with other professional groups to advance the interests of public land planning and environmental activities.
7. Serve as a spokesperson at meetings on public land planning, environmental, or inventory coordination, concepts or problems.
KSA-2. Knowledge of the laws, regulations and policies, including NEPA, related to the protection and management of natural resources within units of the National Park System or other Federal Land Management Agency.
8. Provide planning and NEPA program oversight while leading interdisciplinary teams in the preparation of compliance documents and land management plans.
9. Implement and ensured compliance with the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA).
10. Implement and ensure compliance with the Alaska National Interest Lands Act (ANILCA) and the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA).
11. Communicate assignments, milestones, and deadlines to the team and individuals based on supervisor's instructions.
12. Explain team goals and objectives to assigned team members and assist team members in organizing to accomplish work.
13. Prepare, review, and provide guidance on the development of Categorical Exclusions, Environmental Assessments, Environmental Impact Statements and decision documents.
14. Perform inspections of project sites to ensure compliance with prescribed mitigation measures.
15. Prepare, review, and manage written NEPA-related consultation with Federal, State, and Tribal agencies.
16. Maintain environmental documents, files, memos, and other compliance related documentation for development of a complete administrative record.
17. Serve as a point of contact/Environmental Manager for environmental compliance for diverse projects.
18. Serve as a NEPA compliance agency representative.
19. Work with multiple disciplines such as: wildlife; fisheries; cultural resources; recreation; maintenance; interpretation; through the interdisciplinary resource planning process.
KSA-3. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, including preparation of NEPA and other compliance documentation.
20. Regularly draft general correspondence for the review and signature by supervisor or higher official, with minimal to no substantive required revisions.
21. Write internal documentation for the administrative record in support of proposals, decisions or actions taken.
22. Write specific sections for a NEPA document as the subject matter expert.
23. Write and prepare categorical exclusions.
24. Write and prepare major sections of finalized environmental assessments.
25. Write and prepare major sections of finalized environmental impact statement.
26. Perform data analysis using computer based programs such as Microsoft Access and Geographic Information Systems software to develop products for the NEPA compliance process.
27. Write NEPA decision documents such as finding of no significant impacts and record of decision.
28. Prepare and manage contracts for compliance-related work, and develop contract specifications, including scope of work and government cost estimates for projects.
29. Assemble environmental documentation, files, memos, reports, and presentations related to NEPA compliance for plans, projects, and programs.
30. Review and prepare written comments on NEPA-related documents for other Federal agencies.
31. Maintain a web based agency NEPA website such as the Planning, Environment and Public Comment (PEPC) system or equivalent.
Please answer yes or no
32. Are you willing to travel in a small air craft?A. YES
33. Are you willing to travel by boat?A. YES
34. Are you willing to camp in a remote isolated area?A. YES
35. Do you have a valid driver's licenses?A. YES
36. Are you willing to hike up to 5 miles in a day?A. YES
37. Are you willing to travel in all-terrain vehicle?A. YES