Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Paralegal Specialist
Enter the lowest grade level (09-11) you will accept.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise, you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
Select the Occupational Specialty Code that identifies how you would like to receive consideration for this position. Applicants requesting consideration as a merit promotion, Schedule A, or non-competitive eligible candidate must include the appropriate required supporting documents with their application package.
The Specialty code(s) for this position are 001 and 002. Please note that you must select at least one specialty code but may select multiple codes if desired. Each code is defined below:
001 - Merit Promotion. This includes current Federal employees who serve under a competitive career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service, reinstatement eligibles (former Federal employees who served under a career appointment in the competitive service) and VEOA eligibles (veterans with preference and veterans who have been honorably discharged and substantially completed at least 3 years of continuous active duty service. You must provide qualifying documentation (i.e. - SF-50, performance appraisal and/or veterans documentation).
002 - Non competitive and Special Hiring Authorities. This includes applicants who are eligible for non competitive or special appointment authorities such as: 30% or more compensably disabled veterans, Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA - for position at GS-11 and below), and persons with disabilities (Schedule A), military spouse preference, Federal employees in excepted position covered under an interchange agreement, and other eligible special hiring authorities (such as Peace Corps, Boren Fellows, etc.). This also includes applicants who previously held, or currently hold, this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced this 737785. For more information about special hiring authorities, visit: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp. You must provide qualifying documentation for a non competitive or special hiring authority.
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
Thank you for your interest in a Paralegal Specialist position with the Department of Justice.
We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. From the descriptions below, select the letter that describes the education or experience you have that demonstrates your ability to perform GS-09, Paralegal Specialist work.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-09 level because I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service, or comparable experience using hard copy resources and electronic legal databases to verify legal citations, including cases, statutes, and regulations; analyzing and organizing factual, legal and archival records; and providing assistance to attorneys working under tight deadlines.
2. From the descriptions below, select the letter that describes the education or experience you have that demonstrates your ability to perform GS-11, Paralegal Specialist work.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-11 level because I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service, or comparable experience performing factual, legal and archival research; compiling and researching a variety of sources to verify, support or dispute case information; verifying the accuracy and format of legal citations in briefs and other legal documents using hard copy resources and electronic legal databases and The BlueBook: A Uniform System of Citation.
In this part, you will respond to questions about experiences you have had that are related to the requirements of the job for which you are applying. Carefully review the response descriptions listed below. For each question or statement, select the one response description that best describes your experience, education, or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Perform legal research on appellate procedural issues.
4. Research federal, state, local, foreign and international legal authority such as case law, statutes, regulations, and other legal authority using hard copy resources and finding tools.
5. Research federal, state, local, foreign, and international legal authority such as case law, statutes, regulations and other legal authority using electronic resources and finding tools such as Westlaw, Lexis and Hein Online.
6. Update legal authority by using hard copy, electronic and Web-based shepardizing and citechecking resources.
7. Verify the accuracy and format of legal citations in briefs and other court documents or in legal publications, using The BlueBook: A Uniform System of Citation.
8. Edit briefs and other court documents or legal publications, using standard style references.
9. Verify the accuracy of quotations, paraphrasing, and parenthetical information about resources cited in briefs or other court documents or in legal publications.
10. Compile and organize source materials by providing summaries, bibliographies, and indexes or tables of authority.
11. Compile binders of resources for oral argument.
12. Review documents in appellate records.
13. Track and report on the status of relevant cases.
14. Exercise judgment and discretion in determining what information may be provided and to whom.
15. Ask questions and request additional information in order to set priority for and to clarify tasks assigned.
16. Use legal reference sources and finding tools to summarize statutes, court decisions, and other legal documents.
17. Create and edit documents in MS Office applications and in Wordperfect, and in Adobe Acrobat.
18. Use database systems to organize, maintain and retrieve data and information.
19. Maintain database systems to index, number and code individual documents.
20. Use database systems for the input and management of documents produced for discovery, demonstrative case materials and administrative record documents.
CERTIFICATION OF INFORMATION ACCURACY
21. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and verify that your response accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to the statement below will disqualify you from further consideration for this position.A. Yes, I verify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my rating may be lowered and/or I may be removed from further consideration.