Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Secretary (Office Automation) GS-318 6/7/8
Enter the lowest grade level (06-08) you will accept.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise, you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
If you are applying under Merit Promotion procedures, please select one of the following:
Select the Occupational Specialty Code that identifies how you would like to receive consideration for this position. Applicants requesting consideration as a merit promotion, Schedule A, or non-competitive eligible candidate must include the appropriate required supporting documents with their application package.
The Specialty code(s) for this position are 001 and 002. Please note that you must select at least one specialty code but may select multiple codes if desired. Each code is defined below:
001 - Merit Promotion. This includes current Federal employees who serve under a competitive career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service, reinstatement eligibles (former Federal employees who served under a career appointment in the competitive service) and VEOA eligibles (veterans with preference and veterans who have been honorably discharged and substantially completed at least 3 years of continuous active duty service. You must provide qualifying documentation (i.e. - SF-50, performance appraisal and/or veterans documentation).
002 - Non competitive and Special Hiring Authorities. This includes applicants who are eligible for non competitive or special appointment authorities such as: 30% or more compensably disabled veterans, Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA - for position at GS-11 and below), and persons with disabilities (Schedule A), military spouse preference, Federal employees in excepted position covered under an interchange agreement, and other eligible special hiring authorities (such as Peace Corps, Boren Fellows, etc.). This also includes applicants who previously held, or currently hold, this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced this 739140. For more information about special hiring authorities, visit: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp. You must provide qualifying documentation for a non competitive or special hiring authority.
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. Please select the response below that best indicates your experience in relation to the minimum qualifications for the GS-06 level.A. I possess one year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal Service maintaining office attendance records or scheduling; making arrangements for meetings; typing correspondence using correct grammar, punctuation and format; screening incoming correspondence; receiving phone calls or visitors; and filing office documents.
2. Please select the response below that best indicates your experience in relation to the minimum qualifications for the GS-07 level.A. I possess one year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-06 level in the Federal Service maintaining and scheduling appointments or meetings for management; preparing agendas or other background materials for meetings; proofreading outgoing correspondence to ensure correct grammar, spelling, and formatting errors; typing final draft of correspondence and reports; reviewing incoming documentation to determine the appropriate action; providing receptionist services; and maintaining an office filing system.
3. Please select the response below that best indicates your experience in relation to the minimum qualifications for the GS-08 level.A. I possess one year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service creating presentations, reports, memos, and briefings on own initiative, based on the knowledge of the supervisors views and needs; editing documents or correspondence to ensure proper use of grammar, spelling, and syntax; maintaining an office calendar, including independently scheduling appointments for staff; arranging travel for staff, including booking transportation and accommodations; procuring supplies and services for an office using established procedures; screening incoming calls and visitors to determine the nature of their visit and the appropriate party to which to direct their inquiry; and providing advice and guidance to staff on administrative matters to staff.
4. Are you able to type 40 words per minute with three or fewer errors in a five minute sample?A. Yes, I can.
In this part, you will respond to questions about experiences you have had that are related to the requirements of the job for which you are applying. Carefully review the response descriptions listed below. For each question or statement, select the one response description that best describes your experience, education, or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
5. Schedule or reassign clerical staff to ensure administrative needs of an office are covered when priorities or workload changes
6. Prepare travel and/or transportation arrangements for staff
7. Provide advice to staff on new or revised administrative policies and procedures
8. Use office automation software (word processing, database management, electronic spreadsheet, electronic mail, electronic calendar) for composing, drafting and finalizing documents, accessing files, formatting reports, tracking time and attendance, and creating directories and logs.
9. Screen phone calls/visitors to direct the individual to the appropriate party for resolving the inquiry
10. Schedule appointments for supervisor which includes establishing, rescheduling or refusing appointments, and accepting or declining invitations to meetings.
11. Set up material and conference room in preparation for meetings
12. Process requisitions for services or supplies according to established procurement procedures
13. Reconcile office credit card against monthly statements in accordance with established procedures
14. Develop procedures for the handling of day-to-day administrative matters in an office
15. Maintain administrative files to ensure materials are current and correct
16. Develop tracking system to ensure recurring reports are completed on time
17. Track correspondence to ensure deadlines/suspense dates are met
18. Conduct legal research to assist staff in responding to technical questions
19. Organize filing systems to ensure the access and storage of office documents.
20. Schedule conferences to include space time, contacting people, and sending out notices.
21. Research information or data to compile into correspondence, reports or summaries
22. Track incoming and outgoing office information or correspondence
23. Proofread and edit outgoing correspondence to ensure the use of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
24. Review correspondence to ensure compliance with organizational procedures and proper formatting
25. Write tracking or other administrative/management reports in final form for submission to management
26. Write reports based on general instructions from supervisor and/or summaries of information in office files and documents
27. Assemble background or other pertinent materials for use at briefings and conferences
28. Summarize meeting proceedings to prepare written minutes for distribution to meeting participants
29. Use software to create graphics for publications, including presentations and/or briefing books
30. Prepare final draft of correspondence, forms or reports to incorporate proper spelling, grammar and format
31. Design forms or charts used in documents, reports or summaries
32. Respond in writing to requests for information
33. Communicate verbally with others in order to exchange substantive information regarding such matters as rules, procedures, regulations, programs or benefits.
34. Inform staff of commitments made by and views of supervisor/manager.
35. Act as liaison between supervisor and administrative office.
36. Train other clerical staff on office policies and procedures.
37. Contact organizations or individuals to resolve problems in schedules, deliveries or commitments for goods or services.
38. Represent clerical staff at meetings.
39. Your responses to this Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your answers. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may result in your score being adjusted negatively, disqualification from consideration or dismissal from employment following acceptance.
Please review your answers to ensure accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you:
- understand this warning
- have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and
- verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of education (if applicable), experience and capability.
Failure to agree to the statement below (answer A) will withdraw your application. You WILL NOT be considered for this position.