BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR OPERATIONS RESEARCH ANALYST
1. Please select one response from the choices below to show how you meet the Basic Qualification Requirements for the Operations Research Analyst GS-1515 series.A. I have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in operations research or equivalent degree which included at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus. NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts (official or unofficial) to verify you meet this educational requirement. Otherwise, your eligibility may be affected.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR GS-13
2. Please select one response from the choices below to show how you meet the Additional Qualification Requirements for this position at the GS-13 level.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-13 level because I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through federal service. For this position, specialized experience is defined as performing all of the following tasks: 1) organize and coordinate the efforts of a team of technical and scientific personnel responsible for establishing databases of systems historical costs, technical and schedule parameters; 2) develop cost models and cost estimating relationships; and perform cost sensitivity and cost risk and uncertainty analysis to determine whether analyses include all appropriate life cycle costs; 3) represent top level management on complex matters involving cost estimating and analysis policies and procedures, involving both written and oral communication; 4) identify areas of cost estimating and analysis; formulating proposals for original studies and justifying and presenting such proposals to appropriate authorities within an agency; and 5) assist programs with the development of cost artifacts (Cost Estimating Baseline Documents and Life Cycle Cost Estimates including modeling and data analysis)
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR
3. Please select one response from the choices below to show how you meet the Selective Placement Requirement for this position at the GS-13 level.
ABILITY TO MANAGE A COST ANALYSIS AND ESTIMATING PROGRAM WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION PROVIDING COUNSEL TO THE SENIOR STAFF ON THE QUALITY AND ADEQUACY OF PROGRAM COST ESTIMATING
PLEASE SELECT THE BEST ANSWER THAT DESCRIBES YOUR EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING FOR EACH OF THE STATEMENTS LISTED BELOW.A- I have not had education, training, or experience in performing this task.
4. Organize, direct and coordinate the efforts of a team of technical and scientific personnel responsible for establishing databases of systems historical costs, technical and schedule parameters.
5. Develop new methods/practices to improve the role cost modeling and cost estimating/analysis functions play in the budgeting and acquisition of systems for an organization.
6. Develop cost database documentation procedures for an organization's cost analysis community.
7. Lead efforts to identify and control cost growth in an organization or nationwide program.
8. Provide policy advice and recommendations to top agency officials on a regular and recurring basis in the area of cost estimating and analysis.
SKILL IN THE APPLICATION OF MATHEMATICS, NUMERICAL ANALYSIS, STATISTICS, ECONOMETRICS, AND OPERATIONS RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF COST MODELS AND COST ESTIMATING RELATIONSHIPS FOR LIFE CYCLE COST ESTIMATES
9. Develop new methods or practices to improve cost modeling and cost estimating/analysis functions for an organization.
10. Establish data collection plans to improve the cost estimating/analysis functions
11. Develop methodologies to extrapolate recurring and non-recurring costs.
12. Apply underlying regression analysis techniques to improve cost estimating/analysis functions.
13. Ensure sound use of statistical principles to establish Cost Estimating Relationships.
14. Develop and use a variety of analytical qualitative and quantitative techniques to conduct studies to acquire the critical business information necessary to improve acquisition decision making and service delivery.
15. Develop cost models that incorporate mathematics, numerical analysis, statistics, econometric and operations research methodologies.
16. Develop cost estimating relationships using mathematics, numerical analysis, statistics, econometric and operations research methodologies.
17. Develop Life Cycle Cost Estimates that include modeling and data analysis.
18. Analyze the relationship between business, industrial practices, market trends and conditions to determine overall impact on complex, multi-year acquisitions.
19. Evaluate relationships among development, testing, product, and marketing costs in order to determine effects on complex multi-year acquisitions.
SKILL IN THE APPLICATION OF COST SENSITIVITY AND COST RISK AND UNCERTAINTY ANALYSES TO LIFE CYCLE COST ESTIMATES
20. Perform cost sensitivity and cost benefit analyses to ensure analyses include all appropriate life cycle costs.
21. Understand the difference between risk and uncertainty and is able to quantify and model the parameters associated with each within a cost model.
22. Assess composite acquisition risk and quantify it in terms of cost and schedule based on assessments of the magnitude of engineering risks, manufacturing methods and risks, the business and financial aspects of alternative procurement approaches, and finally the interaction of all these factors.
23. Perform risk calculations through Latin-Hyper Cube sampling and interpret the outputs containing statistics, confidence levels, correlation matrices, and plots of the resulting probability distributions.
ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE BOTH ORALLY AND IN WRITING WITH HIGH LEVEL MANAGEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION, INDUSTRY AND OTHER GOVERNMENT AGENCIES
24. Prepare and brief oral and written program materials for the organization's leadership and external audiences (including high ranking officials of other government agencies, private sector organizations and the general public).
25. Prepare a wide variety of written documents and briefing materials on various aspects of cost estimating and analysis programs.
26. Prepare materials requiring extensive research and the use of a broad range of sources.
27. Develop materials including program policies; position papers; recommendations; and responses to and testimony for Congressional, Government Accountability Office (GAO), Office of Management and Budget, and other high profile offices.
ABILITY TO DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT NEW POLICIES, STANDARDS, PROCEDURES, BEST PRACTICES, TRAINING AND TECHNIQUES DESIGNED TO IMPROVE THE COST ANALYSIS/ESTIMATING FUNCTIONS AND THE ROLE IT PLAYS IN THE ACQUISITION AND BUDGETING PROCESS
28. Develop and issue training procedures on cost estimating and analysis.
29. Develop training for all levels of acquisition workforce personnel on new policies, procedures, and techniques.
30. Deliver training to acquisition workforce personnel.
31. Develop and issue organization-wide policies and procedures impacting cost estimating/analysis techniques.
32. Develop cutting edge best practices to include tools and templates for use with cost estimating and analysis.
CERTIFICATION OF INFORMATION ACCURACY
33. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance.
Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.
Failure to agree to the statement below will disqualify you from further consideration for this position.