Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice (DOJ). Your response to this assessment questionnaire, in conjunction with other portions of your completed application, will be evaluated in making screening decisions.
This is a DOJ job application system. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this application. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
For each of the following questions, please select the response that best describes your education and/or experience. You may select only one response for each question. If you feel that your education or experience exceeds all of the descriptions for a particular question, choose the description that is the closest level to the experience or education that you possess. Failure to respond to these questions will result in an ineligible rating.
1. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-1410-12, Librarian (Law).A. I have at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-1410-11 level in Federal service. My qualifying experience involves acquiring hardcopy and electronic legal reference materials and approving requisition of such materials; evaluating library needs and recommending changes in physical services (library space, collection, acquisitions, retention), and on-line services (understanding scope of on-line offerings, subscription management, user account management search procedures, etc) and conducting complex and unique legal research. In addition, I also meet (a) or (b) below and either (c), (d), (e), or (f) below.
Identify the specific experience from your resume or cover letter that validates your response. Also list the name and contact information of someone who can verify your response.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.
2. Exercises professional judgment and skills in selecting, maintaining and cataloguing physical collection suitable to work of USAO.
3. Exercises professional judgment and skills in selecting and making available links to on-line resources pertinent to work of USAO.
4. Identifies and maintains selected locally-generated information in databases or other searchable form, e.g., database of jury charges; local brief banks; local forms, and ensures that requisite information is systematically collected and maintained.
5. Capable of directly creating, managing and editing USAO Intranet library and information resource web pages.
6. Manages user accounts for computer-aided legal research (e.g., Westlaw, Lexis-Nexis), and other on-line resources.
7. Complies with, and advises management on, library and information resource budgetary restrictions.
8. Researches and compiles federal, state and local legislative history and regulatory history materials, including locating materials that may be available only in physical form in specialized libraries.
9. Responds to reference questions and locates reference materials in support of USAO mission, particularly criminal and civil litigation, including areas of forensic science, e.g., medical, statistical, economic; identification of experts and verification of background of experts.
10. Can explain, and can perform searches on, information publicly available on social media sites, consistent with restrictions and procedures for retrieving information from such sites for investigative purposes.
11. Trains users on advanced use of on-line legal and informational databases.
12. Maintains collegial relations with Department of Justice library and information resource personnel, and other librarians to obtain and provide assistance in responding to reference requests.
13. Advertises services to, and maintains collegial, customer service-oriented relations with, USAO personnel.
14. Capable of functioning effectively with minimal supervision.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
15. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history and a pre-employment drug screening, is required for this position.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you
provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment
Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all
necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department