Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Are you eligible for noncompetitive appointment?
This includes applicants who are eligible for special or noncompetitive appointment authorities such as 30% or more compensable disabled veterans, persons with disabilities and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers. This also includes applicants who meet the qualifications for this position and who have previously held, or currently hold, a Federal position at the grade of this position.
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 14.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. Please select one response from the responses listed below that best indicates how you meet the education requirement for a Biomedical Engineer, GS-858-14 position.A. You must have successfully completed a full 4 year course of study, bachelor's or higher degree in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships) (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics (d) thermodynamics (e) electrical fields and circuits (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties) and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics OR a combination of education and experience - college level education, training,
You must meet the specialized experience requirement for this position. You must possess at least one year of specialized experience as described below:
2. Please select one response from the responses listed below that best indicates how you meet the specialized experience for a Biomedical Engineer, GS-858-14 position.A. I possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Examples include significant experience with the following: applying advanced engineering theories, principles, concepts, standards, and methods to provide expert advice to senior colleagues and/or agency officials regarding medical device issues. Work with the application of good clinical practices, human subject protections, clinical research, and recent developments allowing to review and provide recommendations to issues and questions related to the regulated industry and medical devices. Work that allowed collaborative working relationships with others at different levels within the organization. Experience presenting findings and recommendations in scientific terms, both verbally and in writing, including identifying and clearly presenting problems, proposals, and making recommendations, providing expert guidance to management and/or other staff at different levels within the
Please select the response that is applicable to you.
3. Are you?A. A current Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Career or Career-Conditional employee with competitive status only. Competitive status refers to employees who are serving on a career or career-conditional appointment.
For each of the following task statements, select one response below (A-E) that best describes your experience level. You must select a response for each question.
4. Participate in the analysis of identified postmarket safety issues.
5. Coordinate timely and effective identification of postmarket safety signal issues within a team or a cross-functional group of experts in the postmarket medical device arena or related fields.
6. Provide recommendations and guidance regarding medical device safety issues to higher level management and other staff.
7. Lead and participate in the design and solution development for postmarket safety issues.
8. Present clinical and other technical information to a variety of audiences.
9. Represent the organization at meetings and conferences.
10. Research, write/create, and edit documents to communicate scientific and technical information to a variety of audiences.
11. Interpret and apply rules, regulations and policies as governed by the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.
12. Coordinate, consult, and facilitate the sharing of information supporting regulatory efforts to ensure the safety of postmarket medical devices.
13. Lead multi-disciplinary team(s) in information gathering, compilation, analysis and solution development for device related safety issues.