Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Paralegal Specialist
Enter the lowest grade level (09-09) you will accept.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise, you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
Select the Occupational Specialty Code (OSC) that identifies how you would like to receive consideration for this position. The Specialty code for this position is 001 - Competitive (All U.S. Citizens). This box is automatically checked when only one OSC is listed.
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
Thank you for your interest in a Paralegal Specialist position with the Department of Justice.
We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. From the descriptions below, select the letter that describes the education or experience you have that demonstrates your ability to perform GS-09, Paralegal Specialist work.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-09 level because I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service, or comparable experience utilizing automated legal databases to verify legal citations and statutory references; analyzing and organizing factual, legal and archival records; providing assistance to attorneys in preparation for hearings and/or trials; and creating and maintaining litigation databases for management of case materials.
In this part, you will respond to questions about experiences you have had that are related to the requirements of the job for which you are applying. Carefully review the response descriptions listed below. For each question or statement, select the one response description that best describes your experience, education, or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
2. Perform legal research of particular issues that may arise in trial and pre-trial litigation.
3. Research case law, statutes, regulations and other legal authorities.
4. Compile and organize source materials by providing summaries, bibliographies and indices.
5. Use automated legal reference databases, such as Westlaw and Lexis.
6. Verify the accuracy and format of legal citations in briefs and other documents.
7. Perform legal research of particular issues that may arise in a motions-based practice.
8. Review documents and other materials produced in discovery.
9. Prepare and maintain a variety of trial-related documents, e.g., discovery letters, exhibit lists, jury instructions, and trial subpoenas.
10. Provide litigation case management and organize cases for court presentation by preparing and organizing exhibits using trial presentation software.
11. Review documents in administrative records.
12. Provide information and assistance concerning the status of cases or relevant procedural issues.
13. Exercise discretion and judgment in determining what information may be provided and to whom.
14. Ask questions in order to set priority for tasks assigned.
15. Request additional information in order to clarify tasks assigned.
16. Present legal findings in writing.
17. Prepare summaries of precedent cases, depositions, trial testimony and related case material for the attorney's use.
18. Use legal reference sources to summarize statutes, court decisions, legal opinions, and other legal documents.
19. Create and edit documents, reports and presentations in MS Office, WordPerfect and Adobe Acrobat.
20. Use database systems to organize, maintain and retrieve data and information.
21. Maintain database systems to index, number and code individual documents.
22. Use database systems for the input and management of documents produced for discovery, demonstrative case materials and administrative record documents.
CERTIFICATION OF INFORMATION ACCURACY
23. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and verify that your response accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to the statement below will disqualify you from further consideration for this position.A. Yes, I verify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my rating may be lowered and/or I may be removed from further consideration.