1. From the following descriptions of experience or education, select the response that best describes how your background meets the minimum qualifications for Biological Science Technician (Fish), GS-0404-07.A. I have one full year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-6 (advanced technician level) which is in or directly related to the line of work of the position. Specialized experience is indicated by experience in all of the following: carried out field or laboratory assignments in support of fisheries-related biology activities without direct supervision; conducted tests and tasks using established work procedures without direct supervision; participated in fisheries projects, performed tasks such as making fish counts, sampling fish and trapping fish; recorded scientific data; and drafted or prepared reports.
KSA-1. Knowledge of the principles and techniques of fisheries management.
The following questions were developed to identify your skill level in the competencies that are needed to perform the duties of this position. Use the A through E scale described below to show the level that most closely matches your experience and skill level related to each question. It is essential that your application package, including the resume or other application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skills levels you claim in this questionnaire. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.A- I have not had experience, education, or training in performing this task.
2. Collected fish habitat quality/quantity data.
3. Collected surface water quality data in a field setting.
4. Identified fish species and monitored fish activities.
5. Made field observations of natural resource conditions. (For example, documented wildlife occurrence and habitat use, visitor use patterns, and environmental parameters).
6. Performed fish inventory and monitoring activities.
7. Used fish capture techniques such as seines, hoop nets, and/or gill nets.
KSA-2. Ability to carry out biological/scientific work in remote locations.
8. Conducted natural resource field work in areas of harsh weather and challenging environments that include rough terrain and biting insects.
9. Drove all terrain vehicles in various field conditions, during all seasons.
10. Hiked/camped for an extended period of time in a backcountry/wilderness environment carrying a heavy backpack.
11. Lived in a primitive, remote field camp to carry out field studies for up to 2 weeks or more.
12. Operated and maintained natural resource management equipment (e.g. sampling and monitoring equipment).
13. Prepared equipment for scientific field trips.
14. Used a shotgun in some situations as a bear management device.
15. Worked at remote locations where there may be potentially dangerous wildlife including bears.
16. Worked within a crew in arduous field work or other comparably stressful situations. (Be sure to specifically describe this experience in your resume.)
KSA-3. Ability to collect biological field data and samples.
17. Collected and organized field data using standard data collection procedures and equipment
18. Evaluated quality assurance compliance and calibrated laboratory equipment as necessary.
19. Installed, operated, and maintained fisheries gear and sampling equipment for field studies.
20. Performed error checking, data backup, and data entry quality control.
21. Recorded data collected and provided preliminary assessment and classification of the information.
22. Set up or helped select field site locations, sampling techniques, appropriate equipment, logistics, etc.
23. Worked as a biological science technician collecting, gathering, and recording field samples.
KSA-4. Ability to collect and compile information using computers and other technical equipment.
24. Entered natural resources data information into a database management system.
25. Maintained and organized computer databases.
26. Summarized field data in tabular, map, and graphic form.
27. Used ArcGIS software or similar to organize and analyze spatial data.
28. Used computer software spreadsheet programs, such as Microsoft Access, Excel, (or comparable) to record, manage and report scientific data.
29. Used GPS equipment such as Trimble or Garmin units.
30. Used word processing software to prepare narrative written documents, such as management reports.
KSA-5. Ability to communicate effectively.
31. Explained management activities, policies, principles and techniques to interested parties.
32. Made oral presentation to small audiences or the general public explaining resource management issues
33. Made formal oral presentations on a technical subject to a group including subject matter professionals.
34. Performed literature searches.
35. Prepared draft sections of scientific management reports.
36. Provided advice, assistance, and/or training to students, volunteers, etc., involved in resource management projects and/or field research.
KSA-6. Ability to operate motorized and non-motorized vessels.
37. Operated/utilized watercraft, including canoes, on a lake or river.
38. Operated motorboats in a marine or large lake environment. (Be sure to specifically describe the boats, and the conditions you operated them in, in your resume.)
39. Conducted aquatic or biological sampling, or resources monitoring utilizing single and/or twin engine motorboats. (Be sure to specifically describe this experience in your resume.)
KSA-7. Ability to work effectively as a senior crew member or leader and resolve conflict.
40. Instructed others about the work to be performed and monitored their progress.
41. Performed as a crew leader in the area of fisheries management.
42. Planned field projects such as selecting site locations, sampling techniques, appropriate equipment, logistics, etc.
43. Proposed solutions to supervisor to resolve monitoring implementation problems. (Be sure to specifically describe this experience in your resume.)
44. Resolved issues/disputes between members of a work unit or field crew. (Be sure to provide examples of this in your application.)
45. Trained others to perform a wide variety of fisheries techniques in a safe and effective manner.
46. VERIFICATION STATEMENT: As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency.
Please review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning, 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.