OCCUPATIONAL QUESTIONS - Mark only 1 response for each question.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND AND WORK EXPERIENCE
This section asks you to describe your educational background, your work, and other experiences in specific factors which relate to job performance. ALL QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED. Record your answers in Section 25.
1. From the descriptions below, select the letter that describes the education or experience you have that demonstrates your ability to perform GS-5, General Inspection work. If your highest level of education is not described below, choose the letter that describes experience or lower level education that you do have. Mark only 1 response.A. I have at least 3 years of progressively responsible experience, one year of which was experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level that demonstrates the ability to analyze problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
2. From the descriptions below, select the letter that describes the education or experience you have that demonstrates your ability to perform GS-7, General Inspection work. If your highest level of education is not described below, choose the letter that describes experience or lower level education that you do have. Mark only 1 response.A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 grade level performing preliminary examination of applications/petitions for immigration benefits; ensuring required supporting documentation is included; and applying immigration laws, policies and procedures.
3. Please respond "A" for this question.A. This is the correct response.
4. Please respond "A" for this question.A. This is the correct response.
5. Please respond "A" for this question.A. This is the correct response.
The following questions ask you to describe your educational background, your work, and other experiences in specific areas which relate to successful job performance.
You are to choose one answer to each question from among the alternatives presented. Then, record your answers in Section 25 on OPM Form 1203-FX beginning at Item 6. Do not mark more than one answer for each question. Multiple answers will not be counted. Do not omit answers unless instructed to do so. Other omissions may decrease your score.
1. During high school (grades 9 - 12), I made the semester honor roll:
2. The high school grade I most often received was:
IF YOU DID NOT ATTEND COLLEGE, PLEASE SKIP TO ITEM 4.
3. The college grade I most often received was:
4. In the past three years the number of different paying jobs I have held for more than two weeks is:
5. I have been employed in work similar to that of the job covered by this examination:
6. In the past three years, my primary work experience has been in:
7. On my present or most recent job, my supervisor rated me as:
8. In the past three years the number of jobs I have been fired from is:
9. The number of civic or social organizations (which have regular meetings and a defined membership) that I belong to is:
10. In organizations to which I belong, my participation is best described as:
11. My previous supervisors (or teachers if not previously employed) would most likely describe my basic math skills as:
The questions in this part relate to fundamental competencies, such as problem solving, that are required for the job for which you are applying.
Please answer each question "A" for YES or "B" for NO.
Keep in mind the following:
1) Some questions refer to “work” experience. Unless otherwise stated, this includes experience you have gained through:
· Volunteer work,
· Military service,
· Paid employment,
· Hobbies, or
· Professional, charitable, religious, community, social, or other organizations.
12. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved composing letters or writing reports containing several short paragraphs, such as investigation reports, accident reports, performance evaluations, etc.?
13. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved discussing sensitive information with others, or interviewing or surveying people, either in person or by telephone, to gather information they were reluctant to give?
14. Have you successfully done work of an emergency nature that required you to be flexible about being on call, working for indefinite periods of time, etc. (for example, worked as a criminal investigator, emergency medical technician, firefighter, etc.)?
15. Have you successfully done work that involved deciding which supplies, equipment, or merchandise to purchase for a group or organization?
16. Have you worked on several major assignments or projects at the same time with minimal supervision and completed the work on time or ahead of schedule?
17. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved answering questions, gathering nonsensitive information, or providing assistance to others, either in person or by telephone?
18. Have you successfully remained polite and tactful while doing work where one of your primary responsibilities was to handle customer problems or complaints (for example, worked as a customer service representative)?
19. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved deciding how best to use the strengths of team members (for example, deciding who to assign to various projects, which player to put in each position, etc.)?
20. Have you identified and solved a problem with a procedure, product, or service that benefited the organization (for example, saved the organization time or money, increased sales, reduced errors, etc.)?
21. In high school, did you have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, belong to an honor society, or graduate with honors?
22. Have you successfully worked in a newly created organization that was still in the process of establishing its policies and procedures?
23. Do you have a professional license or certificate issued by a state or other official or professional licensing board indicating your mastery of a specialized body of knowledge (for example, cosmetology, real estate, certified public accounting, etc.)?
24. Have you received formal recognition (for example, received an award, letter of commendation, etc.) or been given certain assignments because of your ability to work well in a group?
25. Have you participated in training classes, workshops, or seminars outside of school that helped you improve your teamwork skills?
26. Have you successfully done work that only occasionally required you to present information at briefings, meetings, conferences, or hearings?
27. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved making decisions about disclosure of sensitive or confidential information?
28. Have you successfully completed a highly structured, formal training program, not including an apprenticeship for a trade or craft, that required you to learn a complex body of information (for example, training for jobs in insurance, law enforcement, real estate, etc.)?
29. Do you regularly monitor your progress toward achieving your career goals (for example, by initiating discussions about your career goals with your supervisor, employee counselor, mentor, etc.)?
30. Have you successfully completed a long-term project outside of work where you were solely responsible for doing the work (for example, completed a thesis, wrote a book that was published, prepared a horse for competition that won a ribbon, restored an antique car, etc.)?
31. Have you successfully persuaded others to volunteer time, money, or resources to a cause, or recruited others to join an organization (for example, college, community groups, charities, etc.)?
32. Have you devised a strategy to overcome a major setback that successfully enabled you to complete a project on time or within budget?
33. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved verifying the accuracy of information or the relevance of information to a problem or a situation (for example, investigative work)?
34. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved negotiating with customers or clients to modify products or to resolve problems or disputes?
35. Since high school, have you received a grade of B or above in oral communication classes (for example, speech, public speaking, theater, etc.) or participated in activities that improved your oral communication skills (for example, training classes, workshops, seminars, debate team, speech club, etc.)?
36. Have you successfully written reports that presented facts, findings, logical conclusions, and persuasive arguments (for example, wrote a thesis, briefing papers, policy papers, complex research papers, etc.)?
37. Have you received favorable feedback for oral presentations you have given to management or other officials, or to the public (for example, for speaking at religious services, performing in theatrical productions, etc.)?
38. Have you willingly changed routine tasks to accommodate new systems, policies, or procedures (for example, changed to a new filing system, computer system, financial record-keeping system, etc.)?
39. Have you participated in training classes, workshops, or seminars outside of school that helped you improve your self-management skills (for example, time management, goal setting, career development, etc.)?
40. Have you designed or developed something, on your own initiative, to help you or other employees better complete assignments (for example, designed a training manual)?
41. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved determining appropriate products or services for customers or clients?
42. Have you served on a decision-making board or committee (for example, student governing board, planning board, homeowners' association board, etc.)?
43. Have you broken a sales record or a similar record, regularly exceeded quotas or similar productivity standards, or received formal recognition for doing work that surpassed what was expected (for example, received a certificate of appreciation, bonus, etc.)?
44. Have you successfully done work of a nonemergency nature that required you to be flexible about being on call, frequently changing work hours or locations, etc. (for example, worked as a substitute teacher, worked as a "temp" for a temporary agency, etc.)?
45. Have you often been asked to proofread or edit the writing of others for content, punctuation, spelling, and grammar?
46. Have you successfully done work where you played a key role in keeping morale up, fostering team spirit or cooperation, or making a group more productive (for example, worked as a coach, supervisor, campaign manager, etc.)?
47. Have you successfully done work that involved making personnel decisions (for example, who to hire, promote, or discipline) or deciding how to allocate equipment, materials, staff, etc.?
48. Have you successfully learned a hobby or leisure activity requiring extensive study or use of complex directions (for example, constructing stereo or computer systems, making stained glass objects, etc.)?
49. Have you worked on a team that produced measurable improvements (for example, an increase in production, quality, customer satisfaction, or a decrease in costs, number of injuries, complaints, etc.)?
50. Have you successfully reviewed and evaluated forms, applications, documents, or other information, not including contract proposals or bids, to make determinations (for example, to determine approval or denial of loans, eligibility for claims, etc.)?
51. Have you willingly rearranged many of your priorities and much of your schedule to accommodate a major, planned change that had a long-term impact on you (for example, worked overtime for several months to implement a new system on schedule, had extensive renovations done on your house that required you to live elsewhere, etc.)?
52. Have you effectively worked on a team that was quickly established to function in a crisis situation (for example, worked on a search and rescue mission)?
53. Have you successfully completed a complex research project that included collecting and analyzing information, and reporting conclusions or recommendations?
54. Have you learned a hobby or leisure activity well enough that others have paid you to do it?
55. Have you effectively participated as a member of an extracurricular school team or community team (for example, sports, cheerleading, debate, theater, neighborhood watch, etc.)?
56. Have you successfully done work that regularly required you to lead or facilitate briefings, meetings, or conferences, or formally present technical or other complex information to others?
57. Have you readily rearranged virtually all of your priorities and much of your schedule to accommodate a sudden major change, problem, or setback that had a relatively long-term impact on you (for example, assumed the duties of another staff member who quit unexpectedly, took in an elderly parent who suddenly became ill, etc.)?
58. Have you successfully persuaded management, other members of your group, customers, or clients to accept a proposal?
59. Have you successfully done work where you had to coordinate vacation schedules, lunch breaks, etc., with other workers?
60. Have you successfully dealt with a disruption to regular operations in a way that allowed for completion of the work or continuation of a noncritical service?
61. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved deciding how to handle disorderly people or situations?
62. Have you successfully done work that involved writing technical or legal reports, or translating technical or other complex material into language that was more easily understood?
63. Have you received formal recognition for your written work (for example, received an award, letter of commendation, excellent performance appraisal rating, etc.)?
64. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved interacting or coordinating with people outside of your immediate work group (for example, people from other offices, departments, organizations, etc.)?
65. Have you developed a formal mechanism to learn more about a problem (for example, developed a survey, conducted interviews or focus groups, etc.)?
66. Have you received favorable feedback about your ability to provide oral instructions or on-the-job training to others, or about your ability to instruct or coach others in athletic, leisure, or community activities?
67. Have you done work where regularly you were responsible for dealing with disruptions that impacted a group of people (for example, rowdy behavior at a public pool, weather changes at a camp, altercations in a prison, etc.)?
68. Have you successfully remained friendly and polite while briefly interacting with many different clients or customers (for example, worked as a receptionist, bank teller, cashier, waiter/waitress, sales clerk, etc.)?
69. Have you received formal recognition for your ability to work well with others (for example, received a letter of recommendation or appreciation, an excellent performance appraisal rating, etc.)?
70. Have you successfully completed a large-scale project (lasting several months or longer) on or ahead of schedule with minimal supervision?
71. Have you effectively served on a problem-solving, planning, or goal-setting committee or team?
72. Have you written procedures or instructions that others have followed successfully (for example, instruction manuals, survey instructions, training materials, etc.)?
73. Have you successfully done work that frequently required you to present nontechnical information at briefings, meetings, conferences, or hearings?
74. Have you done work that involved writing brochures, press releases, or speeches?
75. Have you received formal recognition for solving a work-related problem (for example, received an award, a letter of commendation, etc.)?
76. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved using negotiation or persuasion to help others avoid trouble or conflict or make positive changes in their lives (for example, worked for a crisis hotline, worked as a resident advisor, substance abuse counselor, etc.)?
77. Have you successfully remained courteous and tactful while enforcing laws or policies or helping customers, clients, or members of the public who were hostile or upset, not including handling customer complaints (for example, worked in a crisis center, worked as a police officer, parole officer, park ranger, etc.)?
78. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved persuading customers or clients to purchase a product or service?
79. Have you successfully negotiated with another person sharing the same resources (for example, negotiated for employees, space, equipment, etc.)?
80. Have you taught yourself skills that improved your performance in school or at work (for example, taught yourself typing, computer skills, a foreign language, etc.)?
81. Have you successfully negotiated contracts, leases, or prices for services, supplies, equipment, property, etc.?
82. Have you learned a hobby or leisure activity well enough that you have been asked to do it for others on a voluntary basis?
83. Have you successfully done work that regularly involved informally providing oral explanations of technical information or other complex information, such as regulations, policies, or procedures?