1. Select the ONE response that BEST describes the specialized experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform the work of a Legal Assistant, GS-7.A. I have at least one year of specialized experience providing assistance to attorneys by preparing complaints, motions, subpoenas, orders, or other hearing and/or trial documents accurately and in proper format; verifying citations and statutory references contained in legal documents; assisting with discovery, hearing or trial preparation by performing duties such as compiling trial notebooks, assembling jury instructions, and compiling witness and exhibit lists; and using automated software to produce legal related reports and documents, including developing tables of contents and indices to briefs. This experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-6 level in the Federal service and could have been gained in the federal, public, or private sector.
List the specific position/dates from your resume or cover letter that validates your response. Also list the name and contact information of someone who can verify your response.
2. Indicate your level of typing proficiency by choosing the appropriate statement below. A typing test may be administered at a later time in the process.A. I type 40 or more words per minute.
SECTION II. SPECIALIZED LEGAL EXPERIENCE.
Instructions: For each of the specialized legal tasks below, select the one statement that best describes your training and experience using the scale provided.
3. Indicate the extent of your training and experience retrieving documents from legal files for attorney use.
4. Indicate the extent of your training and experience assembling exhibits, affidavits, and other legal documents from file material.
5. Indicate the extent of your training and experience verifying citation and statutory references using original and online legal resources (e.g., Lexis-Nexis, Westlaw, Blue Book, Federal regulations) to assist attorneys with discovery, hearing, or trial preparation.
6. Indicate the extent of your training and experience responding to routine telephone and in-person inquiries in a legal environment (e.g., from attorneys, opposing counsel, witnesses, pro se individuals).
7. Indicate the extent of your training and experience communicating with attorneys or court staff to set-up court dates and meetings, arrange travel, or to handle other administrative issues.
8. Indicate the extent of your training and experience explaining or clarifying legal policies and procedures to co-workers or attorneys.
9. Indicate your level of training and experience completing routine information on legal forms (e.g., names, addresses, dates, billing information).
10. Indicate your level of training and experience drafting legal form letters and other routine correspondence according to rules and regulations governing their style and format (e.g., based on legal reference materials and style manuals).
11. Indicate your level of training and experience drafting legal documents (e.g., complaints, motions/notices, applications, subpoenas) in conformance with established standards.
12. Indicate the extent of your training and experience preparing, maintaining, and/or closing legal case files in accordance with established procedures.
13. Indicate the extent of your training and experience calendaring and tracking legal deadlines and court appearances.
14. Indicate the extent of your training and experience managing a large volume of legal documents, including scanning and Bates stamping the documents, to ensure the integrity of the source.
SECTION III. GENERAL EXPERIENCE.
Instructions: Legal Assistants must demonstrate proficiency in a variety of general skill areas in order to be successful on the job. For each of the general skill areas below, select the one statement that best describes your experience and demonstrated capability using the scale provided. In determining which option best reflects your own experience and capability, consider your past experience in various work- and education-related settings, including paid work, educational pursuits, volunteer service, professional organization membership, task forces, or committees.
15. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability using correct English grammar, punctuation and spelling to communicate thoughts, ideas, and information in writing.A. I have completed standard forms or form letters without assistance from others.
16. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability proofreading and editing letters, documents, or records.A. I have had no experience proofreading or editing documents.
17. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability using correct English grammar to organize and communicate ideas in words that are appropriate to listeners and situations.A. I have communicated basic ideas and factual information to others and responded to routine inquiries. (For example, answered questions from co-workers or teachers.)
18. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability using computers and computer software to communicate information in the appropriate format.A. I have limited experience using computers and computer software.
19. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability gathering, organizing and maintaining information.A. I have limited experience retrieving, organizing or maintaining information for others.
20. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability in setting goals and managing your time.A. I have limited experience setting my own goals or managing my own time.
21. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability adapting to changes in work or educational settings.A. I have limited experience adapting to changes in work or educational settings.
22. Indicate the extent of your experience and demonstrated capability working with others to accomplish goals.A. I have limited experience working with others to achieve goals.
SECTION IV. CERTIFICATION OF INFORMATION ACCURACY.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
Certification of Information Accuracy
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
23. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history and a pre-employment drug screening is required for this position.
A. Yes, I certify/understand the information provided above.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice.