The following are requirements for appointment as a psychologist in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA). Psychologists engage in professional and scientific work which relates to behavior, capacities, traits, interests, and emotions. These requirements apply to all VHA psychologists in the GS-180 series, including those assigned to VA medical centers, Community-based Outpatient Clinical (CBOCs), Vet Centers, Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) offices, the VHA National Center for Organizational Development and VHA Central Office. This work may include any one or a combination of the following: providing professional clinical services, conducting research, carrying out education and training activities, clinical consultation, supervision, and administration.
The basic requirements for employment as a VHA psychologist are prescribed by: Public Law 96-151 codified in Title 38, U.S.C. § 7402. To qualify for appointment, all applicants for the position of psychologist in VHA must meet the following:
The following question pertains to your citizenship.
1. Are you a Citizen of the United States?A. Yes
The following question pertains to your education.
2. Do you have a doctoral degree in psychology from a graduate program in psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) AND have you successfully completed a professional psychology internship training program that has been accredited by APA? The specialty area of the degree must be consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed.A. Yes
The following question pertains to your current licensure.
3. Do you hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia?A. Yes
The following question pertains to the physical requirements for this position.
4. Applicants must be willing to successfully complete a pre-employment physical, including the possibility of a drug screen. Are you willing to take a pre-employment physical, including the possibility of a drug screen?A. Yes
In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), no person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English. Psychologist must be proficient in basic written and spoken English in order to perform the duties of this position.
5. Are you proficient in basic written and spoken English?A. Yes
At this level psychologists are licensed at the doctoral level to practice independently in the provision of psychological services consulting with peers and supervisors as appropriate. They are assigned to any VHA program and setting, including inpatient or outpatient medicine, surgery, mental health, neurology, rehabilitation medicine, geriatrics, Vet Centers, and the VHA National Center for Organizational Development. In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates:
The following question pertains to your current licensure.
6. Do you hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia?A. Yes
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, applicants must have two years of post-doctoral degree experience as a professional psychologist that is directly related to the duties of this position. One year of this experience must be equivalent to the next lower grade level. To be creditable, the experience must be post-doctoral degree and must have required the use of knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics associated with current professional psychology practice. Creditable post-doctoral degree experience can be obtained through employment as a psychologist or through participating in a supervised post-doctoral psychology training program. This may be evidenced by an active professional practice, which means paid/non-paid employment as a professional psychologist and/or a full, current, and unrestricted license.
7. Do you have two years of post-doctoral degree experience as a professional psychologist that is directly related to the duties of this position as described in the above paragraph?A. Yes
In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following professional KSAs. In the space provided below, you must also include information to support your possession of each of the required professional KSAs. This information will be used by the Professional Standards Board to determine your salary.
KSA #1: Knowledge of, and ability to apply, advanced professional psychological theories and techniques to the full range of patient populations.
KSA #2: Ability to provide professional advice and consultation in areas related to professional psychology and behavioral health.
KSA #3: Knowledge of clinical research literature.
KSA #4: Ability to provide supervision in areas related to behavioral health and social services provision in order to accomplish the organizational goals and objectives.
KSA #5: Ability to provide fair, principled and decisive leadership for a work environment that promotes shared accountability.
Certification of Understanding - Select the appropriate answer to the statement below. Failure to provide an answer will result in your not being considered for this position.
8. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated and that responding "No" or providing no response to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I understand the information provided above and certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith.
REMINDER- you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
CV or Resume
VA Form 10-2850c (Application for Associated Health Occupations)
Copy of college transcript reflecting your doctoral degree in psychology.
If current or former Federal employee, submit a copy of your most recent SF-50b, Notification of Personnel Action, that shows your position title, series, grade, step, salary and tenure group.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION REMINDER-You must submit proper documentation if you are claiming eligibility for veteran's preference, which includes a copy of your DD-214 (member copy 4 or earlier version that shows character of service). Applicant's claiming 10-Point preference must also submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference along with the required documentation listed on the form (such as verification of service-connected disability percentage).