Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
The Vacancy Identification Number is: 784494
Forestry Technician (Fire) GS-0462-04/05
Please answer the following Employment Availability Questions by selecting either Yes or No.
Enter the lowest grade level (04-05) you will accept.
The occupational specialty will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one occupational specialty code for this position. The specialty code for this position is:
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are intrested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and demonstrated capability. You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification based on the résumé, and other relevant documents you submit, as well as through verification of references as appropriate. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your stated level of experience and demonstrated capability. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position following acceptance.
1. Are you submitting Form BIA-4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to claim Indian Preference? Note: You must include and upload your Form BIA-4432. As outlined in the vacancy announcement, this is the ONLY Indian Preference Verification Form that will be accepted.
2. Are you a veteran and submitting a DD-214, Certificate of Release or Honorable Discharge from Active Duty, to verify Veteran's Preference claimed? Note: You must include and upload your DD-214, if claiming 5 pt. or 10 pt. preference and Standard Form 15 including the required supporting documentation, if claiming 10 pt. preference.
3. Are you submitting your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, to verify you are a current status employee or a former employee with Reinstatement eligibility? Note: You must include and upload your latest SF-50 to verify transfer or reinstatement eligibility.
The incumbent must possess a valid state Driver's License AND may be required to obtain and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
4. Do you possess a valid Driver's License?A. Yes, I certify that I possess a valid Driver's License.
MAXIMUM ENTRY AGE (MEA) RESTRICTION
5. This position is a primary firefighter position and covered under the special retirement provisions for firefighters subject to maximum entry age and mandatory retirement. In accordance with Public Law 107-27, applicants must meet age and/or service requirements. The maximum entry age is the date immediately preceding your 37th birthday. Please mark only one response below.A. I have not reached this date OR I have reached this date AND I have previously served in a Federal civilian position covered by special fire-fighter retirement provisions, including early or mandatory retirement.
6. This position requires a minimum of 90 days previous wildland firefighting experience which provided knowledge of the techniques, policies, and practices of wildland fire management. Wildland fires are categorized into two distinct types: 1) Wildfires - unplanned ignitions or prescribed fires that are declared wildfires; 2) Prescribed Fires - Planned ignitions. This description includes only fireline experience on a Prescribed Fire; it does not include experience in the planning stages.
Do you have wildland firefighting experience as described above?
This position is one of the key fire management positions under the Interagency Fire Program Management (IFPM) Standard. This position has been categorized as a Senior Wildland Firefighter, and requires the following IFPM qualifications: Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1) and completion of S-290 "Intermediate Fire Behavior" training. Please indicate which of the following qualifications or training certificates you possess. Provide a current copy of your Incident Qualification and Certification System (IQCS) Master Record or other agency equivalent documentation which verifies you meet the required NWCG qualifications for this IFPM position when submitting your application.
7. I have held or currently hold the NWCG qualification Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1) or higher. I will provide a copy of my IQCS master record or equivalent documentation as instructed in the vacancy announcement.A. YES
8. I have completed the NWCG course S-290 "Intermediate Fire Behavior" course. I will provide a copy of my IQCS master record or equivalent documentation as instructed in the vacancy announcement.A. YES
9. Carefully read the following descriptions of experience and education. Select the one that best describes your qualifications for Forestry Technician (Fire) GS-04 level. Make sure your resume supports your response that you select. If qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college or university transcript(s).A. I have at least 6 months of general experience and 6 months of specialized experience.
10. Carefully read the following descriptions of experience and education. Select the one that best describes your qualifications for Forestry Technician (Fire), GS-05 level. Make sure your resume supports your response that you select. If qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college or university transcript(s).A. I have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service which involved work in forestry aid or technician work; engineering, range, or soil conservation technician work that involved the application of cultural, resource conservation, or land management practices on nonforest or ranch lands when combined with knowledge of forestry operations and equipment; farming or ranching work that involved application of cultural and soil and water conservation practices, including safety and use of equipment, and that provided a basic understanding of land use; or forest or range fire control, prevent on, or suppression work.
For each task listed below, select the statement from A through E that best describes your level of experience, education, and/or training. Your application and/or resume must be able to support your claim; otherwise, you may receive a lowered or ineligible rating. Please select only one letter for each statement.A- I have not had experience, education, or training in performing this task.
11. Serve as a crew boss responsible for the leadership of crew personnel on planned or unplanned ignitions, or fuels treatment projects.
12. Serve as an engine boss responsible for the leadership of engine personnel on planned or unplanned ignitions.
13. Serve as a helicopter manager responsible for the leadership of helitack personnel on planned or unplanned ignitions.
14. Conduct the initial size-up of unplanned ignitions and files reports with dispatch and the hosting unit.
15. Consider the effects of humidity, temperature, wind, topography, slope, fuels, and fuel moisture on planned or unplanned ignitions.
16. Determine suppression (or ignition) methods, point of initial attack, types of tools to use and application of water given fire rate of spread and potential hazards.
17. Determine and prescribes safe work practices of subordinates, recognizing when and where tactics need to be modified to mitigate risk exposure.
18. Skill in the use and application of a variety of hand tools used on wildfires and prescribed fires.
19. Perform duties under stressful and adverse conditions including long work hours, heavy workloads, emergencies, and adverse environmental conditions.
20. Certified as a Journeyman Faller, FALB (Include copy of IQCS Master Record with supporting documentation).
21. Prepares or receives helicopter sling loads at established helipads or remote helispots.
22. Construct progressive hose lays utilizing engines or small pumps (e.g. Mark-III), ensuring consistent water delivery to fireline personnel for use in holding and mop-up operations.
23. Conduct tree or brush thinning based on specifications provided by natural resource specialists.
24. Install erosion control structures within burned areas.
25. Maintain vehicle and equipment and provides for the completion of maintenance records.
26. Conduct measurements and surveys to inventory a variety of natural resources including trees, shrubs, grasses, soils, or historic or prehistoric artifacts.
27. Utilize the Wildland Fire Qualification System Guide (PMS 310-1) as policy for required training, position task book maintenance, experience and certification.
28. Participate in NWCG training and proficiency tests and drills.
29. Complete position task books for self and as an evaluator for others.
30. Maintain qualification records and training files
31. Explain fire behavior characteristics, safety regulations and work procedures to followers, peers, and leaders.
32. Communicate tactical and logistical needs to higher level management.
33. Conduct briefings and after action reviews.
34. Utilize and programs radios and communicate with others during incidents and project work.
As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency during the probation period. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning; 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy; and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.
35. Failure to agree to the statement below will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.A. Yes, I verify that all of my responses to this questionnaire are true and accurate. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my application may be rated lower and/or I may be removed from further consideration.
NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume, veterans or Indian preference documentation, assessment questions and answers, and SF 50s) is received and is accurate.