Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 12.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your education and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-12.A. Degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
2. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-12.A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience conducting laboratory work in the area of molecular pathology.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Plan, organizes and conduct molecular biology assays/techniques to identify and characterize various bacterial and viral agents in formalin-fixed and/or other tissue specimens.
4. Develop and validates various molecular diagnostic assays and techniques such as real-time PCR/RT-PCR, in-situ hybridization probes, and Luminex-based assays.
5. Acquire and organizes materials and information necessary to carry out study procedures for assigned projects.
6. Calibrate and operates laboratory instruments that are necessary to independently perform tests, analyses and other procedures in conducting experiments and studies.
7. Prepare standard operating procedures and maintains laboratory equipment in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment of 1988 (CLIA) regulations.
8. Record study results in accordance with established procedures and maintains complete, detailed records of all experiments performed.
9. Interpret data and prepares results for publication in scientific journals, monographs, presentations at scientific conferences/meetings and other formats.
10. Comply with guidelines and regulations related to the proper handling, storage and disposal of potential infectious biological material/chemicals in accordance with OHS.
11. Perform molecular pathology diagnostic work in a BSL-3 laboratory.
12. Derive calculations from mathematical equations to describe data.
13. Communicate scientific findings or ideas orally to peers and to the general community.
14. Represent the organization at professional meetings and conferences on clinical research, epidemiology, and laboratory science as related to public health or policy issues related to public health.
15. Author or co-authors articles, research findings and/or public health relevant position papers in peer-reviewed publications, scholarly journals or national reports.
16. Develop scientific publications and other documents communicating scientific findings.
17. Prepare written communications sufficient to prepare scientific and technical reports, papers, journal articles, etc.
18. Present research findings at public meetings, interagency science forums, national or international meetings or at briefings of high-level officials.
19. Provide scientific consultative services to difficult programs or projects that have unusually demanding scientific problems or issues.
20. Communicate technical and non-technical information to persons with diverse backgrounds and knowledge.
21. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.