Select at least one occupational specialty code. The specialty code(s) for this position are 001, 002 and 003. Please note that you must select at least one specialty code but may select multiple codes if desired. Each code is defined below:
001 - Open to All
002 - Competitive Merit Promotion. This includes current Federal employees who serve under a competitive career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service, reinstatement eligibles (former Federal employees who served under a career appointment in the competitive service) and VEOA eligibles (veterans with preference and veterans who have been honorably discharged and substantially completed at least 3 years of continuous active duty service. You must provide qualifying documentation (i.e. SF-50 or veterans documentation).
003 - Noncompetitive and Special Hiring Authorities. This includes applicants who are eligible for noncompetitive or special appointment authorities such as: 30% or more compensably disabled veterans, Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA - for positions at GS-11 and below), and persons with disabilities (Schedule A), military spouse preference, Federal employees in excepted positions covered under an interchange agreement, and other eligible special hiring authorities (such as Peace Corps, Boren Fellows, etc.). This also includes applicants who previously held, or currently hold, this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this 777460. For more information about special hiring authorities, visit: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp. You must provide qualifying documentation for a noncompetitive or special hiring authority.
Complete this section ONLY IF you are a surplus or displaced Federal employee requesting special priority consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP). To be considered, you must be a surplus or displaced Federal employee as defined in the regulations, be applying for a vacancy at or below the grade level of the position from which you have been or are being separated (and with no greater promotion potential than your position), and be occupying or have been displaced from a position in the same local commuting area as the vacancy.
Note: To receive consideration for the CTAP or ICTAP, you must submit the necessary supporting documentation as specified in the vacancy announcement.
1. From the descriptions below, select one statement that best describes your experience to meet the basic requirements for this position, IT Specialist (SYSANLYSIS), at the GS-11 level. Mark only one response.A. I have one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience must include activities such as: 1) installing, configuring and troubleshooting basic database management problems; 2) gathering information from users for analysis of database problem areas to prepare elementary feasibility studies; and 3) assisting in developing documentation of the system specifications, system installation procedures, system backup and recovery techniques and system test methods. NOTE: The contents of your resume must fully and explicitly support this response in its entirety. Otherwise, you will be found ineligible.
2. From the descriptions below, select one statement that best describes your experience to meet the basic requirements for this position, IT Specialist (SYSANLYSIS), at the GS-12 level. Mark only one response.A. I have one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience must include activities such as: 1) identifying and specifying business requirements for new or enhanced database systems; 2) evaluating established data management systems methods and procedures to prepare recommendations for appropriate changes that improve IT operations; and 3) preparing and updating manuals, instructions, and operating procedures for data management systems. NOTE: The contents of your resume must fully and explicitly support this response in its entirety. Otherwise, you will be found ineligible.
Knowledge of systems analysis concepts, techniques and best practices
For each task listed below, select the statement from A through E that best describes your level of experience, education, and/or training. If you leave any question blank your score will be negatively impacted. ATTENTION: For each question below, you must document your skill level in your resume. This means, for example, that if you rate yourself at the expert level (E) for a skill or task, you must document when you have supervised or trained others doing that skill or task. If you rate yourself at the independent level (D), you must show that you did the task as a regular and recurring part of a job. We will verify that you have documented your skills in your resume and your score will be lowered for skills that are not documented.A- I have not had education, training, or experience in performing this task.
3. Design and develop a program using structured analysis, sampling, data modeling and model building techniques.
4. Monitor information systems to ensure smooth functioning of hardware, software, networking and other database applications and programs.
5. Determine concrete steps for ensuring that IT operations are aligned with business and technology strategies.
6. Document a framework for their desired systems analysis approach including responsibilities, techniques, and interfaces to the rest of the organization.
7. Conduct technical research on systems upgrades to determine feasibility, cost, time required, and compatibility with current system.
Skill in applying IT principles, concepts, methods, standards, and practices
8. Install and configure hardware and software database applications and programs.
9. Assist application developers in translating or mapping functional requirements to technical specifications.
10. Participate in the evaluation and testing of database system upgrades.
11. Provide support to programming staff in planning, designing and implementing the application of databases.
12. Test and correct errors, and refine changes to database to review and correct programs.
13. Maintain data security and integrity by implementing security measures and determining database backup requirements and recovery procedures.
Ability to communicate effectively orally
14. Consult with users, managers, staff and others to gather inputs that define goals for the system.
15. Serve as liaison between system users and information systems staff in the development, implementation, administration and maintenance of information systems, computer programs and software applications.
16. Advise management regarding the selection, purchase and use of database management tools.
17. Work with management, project managers, other IT specialists and programming staff as part of a project team to recommend improvements to existing processes and systems.
18. Coordinate with senior IT specialists to develop data dictionaries, standards and quality assessments.
Ability to communication effectively in writing
19. Prepare detailed flow charts and diagrams outlining systems capabilities and processes.
20. Write and maintain system documentation.
21. Maintain standard recovery and back up procedural manuals for databases.
22. Document systems problems and resolutions for future reference.
23. Prepare documentation for knowledge sharing, training, and presentations.
24. Prepare reports for status of database projects.