Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Are you eligible for noncompetitive appointment?
This includes applicants who are eligible for special or noncompetitive appointment authorities such as 30% or more compensable disabled veterans, persons with disabilities and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers. This also includes applicants who meet the qualifications for this position and who have previously held, or currently hold, a Federal position at the grade of this position.
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 15.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your education and/or experience and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Supervisory Health Scientist, GS-0601-15.A. I have successfully completed a full four-year course of study at an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
2. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Supervisory Health Scientist, GS-601-15.A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience in providing scientific leadership in formulating, planning, directing, and organizing research, surveillance or programmatic activities in the area of STD control and prevention.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Formulate, develop, and direct broad programs of active research in immunology, genotyping, and molecular genetics which lead to advances in the field of STDs.
4. Conduct applied and operational research on STD laboratory topics.
5. Provide laboratory support for outbreak investigations, surveillance activities, and public health laboratories.
6. Insure critical review of all evaluation reports.
7. Represent the program before the scientific and medical community for laboratory issues.
8. Mentor team members on the application of laboratory theories and practices.
9. Serve as the Branch Chief and is responsible for providing leadership during the planning, directing, and execution of the activities and services.
10. Serve as a principal advisor to senior staff and other program officials regarding STD laboratory issues.
11. Directly or indirectly oversees the performance and activities of approximately 29 laboratory members working in a biosafety level two laboratory.
12. Interact with other internal senior staff and other Federal agencies regarding joint approaches to program development.
13. Work with other senior staff and program managers to develop strategies for integrating STD laboratory activities and research.
14. Work closely with scientific researchers from academia, public health laboratories, and other research institutions to carry out the assigned mission.
15. Formulate policies and programs and perform all administrative and supervisory responsibilities.
16. Interview, recommend appointments, promotions, and reassignments for employees and potential employees.
17. Assure short and long-term training for staff.
18. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.