Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Are you eligible for noncompetitive appointment?
This includes applicants who are eligible for special or noncompetitive appointment authorities such as 30% or more compensable disabled veterans, persons with disabilities and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers. This also includes applicants who meet the qualifications for this position and who have previously held, or currently hold, a Federal position at the grade of this position.
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 09.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your education and/or experience and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for a Microbiologist, GS-0403.A. I have a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
2. I am current employee of Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of the Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Southeast Region.A. Yes
3. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-0403-09.A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service, analyzing scientific samples; determining the general approach necessary to obtain requested information; and calibrating and using various laboratory instruments and computer systems.
4. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-0403-11.A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service, analyzing scientific samples; determining the general approach necessary to obtain requested information; calibrating and using various laboratory instruments and computer systems; and interpreting and evaluating the results of scientific analyses to determine the validity and scientific significance to ensure necessary information is obtained.
5. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-12.A. I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level that has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
Responsible for the interpretation and application of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act, related industry practices, and laws, and regulations to ensure accuracy and completeness of objectives.
Develops or modifies existing guidelines and protocols for testing specific types of devices.
Ensures applicable laws; guidance and policies are implemented in accomplishing assigned tasks.
Responsible for the interpretation of established operating policies and procedures.
Provides advice concerning methodology problems to scientists in other Federal agencies.
Confirm results and findings of other scientist's analyses.
Interpret microbiological analytical results/calculations independently.
Operate laboratory equipments; autoclave, pH meters, centrifuges, PCR, etc....
14. Reviews background material such as the collection Reports, labeling, Establishment Inspection Reports, pertinent Agency, regulations, Federal Law, and other relevant material.
Interpret and evaluate the result of analysis to determine the validity.
16. Determines the approach, methods, and procedures to use in order to obtain the information requested.
17. Analyze difficult, novel and complex samples.
Ability to modify or develop methods to satisfy special requirements..
19. Conducts as warranted method development or modification of existing or modification to analyze and provide appropriate validation
Perform microbiological analyses .
Conduct method development if no existing method to analyze exists.
Ability to regularly participate in collaborative efforts with other scientist s and laboratories.
23. Determine the approach, methods, and procedures to use in order to obtain the information requested.
Performs independent scientific official methods and procedures and then carry out analyses to make determination for regulatory monitoring and enforcement.
25. Prepares samples from FDA regulated commodities.
Prepares priority reports stating the results and conclusions documenting the nature of any regulatory violations.
27. Prepare scientific reports to support regulatory monitoring and enforcement actions.
28. Prepares written reports in support of the quality assurance program.
Presents training to lesser-experienced scientists.
Testify in court concerning the science produced.
31. Advise other scientists concerning methodology problems encountered in the analysis of samples
32. Makes presentations to the medical and scientific experts who serve as panel member on the various advisory committees which have the responsibility for the classification and premarket review.