Thank you for your interest in the Health Specialist (GS-601-14) position at our agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Do you possess a degree in a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position?A. Yes
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Health Specialist, GS-0601-14 position as described in the Qualifications section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I possess at least one year of qualifying experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in Federal Government obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following tasks: developing and implementing changes to improve a biomedical research organization's research structure, organization, and staff; planning and conducting research related to infectious disease pathogens; coordinating the development and internal review of research solicitations; ensuring effective communication and information exchanges with staff at research institutions and/or clinical trial sites; writing and editing memoranda, correspondence, and other documents of a biomedical research nature; managing, developing or assisting in the design of clinical trials management system.
The following section is used to determine your eligibility for appointment in the Federal Government or Status for referral consideration. Please respond yes or no to the following questions. FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THESE QUESTIONS WILL RESULT IN AN INELIGIBILE RATING. NOTE: You must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated. Failure to provide the required documents WILL render you not eligible for consideration.
1. Reinstatement – I am a former Federal government employee who served as a civilian on a permanent competitive appointment. Please note: not all former Federal government employees are eligible for Reinstatement. For more information on who is eligible for Reinstatement, please visit the USAJobs Reinstatement Eligibility Page.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you MUST submit a copy of your separation Standard Form--50 (SF-50) and a copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis. If you separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via Federal Records Center, National Archives and Records Administration, 111 Winnebago Street, St. Louis, MO 63118-4126, or visit The National Archives Page.A. Yes
2. Status Candidate– I am a current Federal government employee, serving on a career or career-conditional appointment who has served at least 90 days after competitive appointment. NOTE:If you select "yes" in response to this question, you MUST submit a copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis. You may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from your HR Office or, if you are an HHS employee, from the eOPF Page. If you separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via Federal Records Center, National Archives and Records Administration, 111 Winnebago Street, St. Louis, MO 63118-4126 or visit The National Archives Page.
Status Candidate– I am a current Federal government employee, serving on a career or career-conditional appointment who has served at least 90 days after competitive appointment.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you MUST submit a copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis. You may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from your HR Office or, if you are an HHS employee, from the eOPF Page. If you separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via Federal Records Center, National Archives and Records Administration, 111 Winnebago Street, St. Louis, MO 63118-4126 or visit The National Archives Page.A. Yes
3. The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA)– I am an individual who is eligible for VEOA. The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) of 1998 provides that agencies must allow preference eligibles or eligible veterans to apply for positions announced under merit promotion procedures when the agency is recruiting from outside its own workforce.
To be eligible for consideration under VEOA, you must: Be a preference eligible, OR a veteran separated from the armed forces after three or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Veterans released shortly before completing a three-year tour are eligible. ("Active service" defined in title 37, United States Code, means active duty in the uniformed services and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary of the military department concerned.).
NOTE: If you select "yes" to this statement, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214 documenting final military discharge, release, or retirement (your DD Form 214 must reflect the dates of service, character of discharge, and time lost, if any).
Please visit the VetGuide Page for more information on VEOA.A. Yes
4. Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)– I am an individual who is eligible for appointment under the VRA authority.
The VRA is a special authority by which agencies can appoint eligible veterans without competition to positions at any grade level through General Schedule (GS) 11 or equivalent.
To be eligible for appointment under VRA, you must: Be a disabled veteran; OR a veteran who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; OR a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; OR I have separated from active duty within the past three years under honorable conditions.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of DD-214s and proof of any preference eligibility along with your application/resume package.
Please visit the the VetGuide Page for more information on VRA.A. Yes
5. 30% Disabled Veteran– I am a disabled veteran rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as having a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more; OR a disabled veteran who retired from active military service with a disability rating of 30 percent or more, and my discharge was under conditions other than dishonorable.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this statement, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214 documenting final military discharge, release or retirement (your DD Form 214 must reflect the dates of service, character of discharge, and time lost, if any) and an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Dept of Veterans Affairs (VA), or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying that you have a service-connected disability of 30% or more along with your application/resume package.
Please visit the the VetGuide Page for more information on non-competitive appointments for 30% or more disabled veterans.A. Yes
6. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities)– I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities Page.A. Yes
7. Non-Competitive (Other)– I am eligible to be considered under a special non-competitive appointing authority (e.g., Peace Corps volunteer service, current career Postal Service personnel, conversion from service in the Presidential Management Fellows Program, Commissioned Corps, etc.) that was established by law or Executive Order.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit a copy of your non-competitive eligibility documentation to receive consideration.A. Yes
If you answered "yes" to the previous question, please enter the type of non-competitive eligibility you are claiming.
8. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)
I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Advise government agencies, private firms or other organizations on biomedical, behavioral health or health related research.
2. Evaluate the technical and scientific merit of funding grant/contract applications and proposals.
3. Develop criteria and standards to plan, review and evaluate research projects.
4. Recommend new research initiative program direction.
5. Evaluate scientific research project progress to ensure attainment of established objectives.
6. Evaluate grantee/contractor research project performance.
7. Evaluate grantee/contractor project implementation.
8. Identify research gaps by reviewing research project portfolios.
9. Develop scientific initiatives by reviewing research project portfolios.
10. Conduct infectious disease pathogenesis research.
11. Conduct immunology infectious disease pathogenesis research
12. Conduct vaccine infectious disease pathogenesis research.
13. Conduct epidemiological infectious disease pathogenesis research.
14. Conduct animal model development infectious disease pathogenesis research.
15. Write reports, evaluations, summary statements or correspondence as part of the peer review process.
16. Identify gaps in existing scientific knowledge to recommend future research efforts in written reports.
17. Develop program announcements based on identification of new research initiatives..
18. Present scientific papers or reports at national and international conferences.
19. Present scientific papers or reports at local seminar/workshops.
20. Report review program progress status to senior management.
21. Explain grant and contract management objectives or policy and procedures changes to staff and others.
22. Review offer or responses/grant applications for technical/scientific adequacy.
23. Manage large projects including direct interactions with different stakeholders.
24. Interpret regulations and funding policies regarding biomedical, behavioral health or health related research.
25. Resolve colleague or team member conflicts, differences, or problems.
26. Plan colleague or team member work assignments. Coach or mentor staff, students, or post-doctoral fellows to assist them in achieving desired research project goals.
27. Lead site visits to evaluate the progress of grant/contract funded programs.
28. Develop clinical information or clinical knowledge management systems.
29. Maintain clinical research information database system.
30. Maintain data systems and clinical management system parameters.
31. Develop workflow or information models in support of clinical trials.
32. Develop workflow or information models in support of translational science.
33. Provide clinical management system technical assistance and training.
34. Design clinical information system architecture.
35. Lead development of enterprise information architecture.
36. Develop data and clinical management system parameters.
37. Write clinical management system design control guidelines and terminology standards.
38. Manage clinical management systems business requirements, development and implementation needs.
39. Resolve clinical information systems development processing issues.
40. Work with a team to implement a clinical information database system.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
41. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct and provided in good faith, and I understand the information provided above.