Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
The Vacancy Identification Number is: 684370
CIVIL ENGINEER, GS-0810-12
Please answer the following Employment Availability Questions by selecting either Yes or No.
Enter the lowest grade level (12-12) you will accept.
The occupational specialty will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one occupational specialty code for this position. The specialty code for this position is:
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are intrested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. Are you submitting Form BIA-4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to claim Indian Preference? Note: You must include your Form BIA-4432. As outlined in the vacancy announcement, this is the ONLY Indian Preference Verification Form that will be accepted.A. Yes.
2. Are you a veteran and submitting a DD-214, Certificate of Release or Honorable Discharge from Active Duty, to verify Veteran's Preference claimed? You must include your DD-214, if claiming 5 pt. or 10 pt. preference and Standard Form 15 including the required supporting documentation, if claiming 10 pt. preference.A. Yes.
3. Are you submitting your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, to verify you are a current status employee or a former employee with Reinstatement eligibility? Note: You must include your latest SF-50 to verify transfer or reinstatement eligibility.A. Yes.
4. Incumbent will be required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Do you possess a valid Drivers License?A. Yes, I certify that I possess a valid State Drivers License.
In addition to the qualification requirements, candidates must possess registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) determined to be essential to the position for making highly technical engineering decisions for high hazard dams and irrigation structures. The requirement is due to the position's impact on public health, safety and interaction with private consultants, A & E firms, and engineering professionals from states, Indian tribes, and federal agencies. These interactions and related decisions require a level of technical authority and professional standing obtained only by registration as a professional engineer. Selective factors are knowledges, skills, abilities, or special qualifications that are in addition to the minimum requirements in a qualification standard, but are determined to be essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. Applicants who do not meet the selective factor are ineligible for further consideration.
5. Do you possess a current certification of Professional Engineering Registration? Note: You must include a copy of current certification of professional engineering registration.A. I certify that I possess a current Professional Engineering Registration and a copy is included with my application.
Please note that your answers may be verified against the information you provide in your resume/application and information your references provide. (Note: The quality, type, and scope of your experience and/or training must demonstrate that you are fully qualified to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Be sure you describe your background as it relates to the duties of this position since your narrative application or resume must support the response you select.) Copies of transcripts or a listing of completed coursework must be submitted to document educational accomplishments.
6. Please select one response below that best reflects your education and/or experience in meeting the Basic Requirements for this position. Please read all responses prior to making your selection. Mark only 1 response.A. Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statistics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. NOTE: Transcripts MUST be submitted to document your educational accomplishments.
Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and demonstrated capability. You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification based on the resume, and other relevant documents you submit, as well as through verification of references as appropriate. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your stated level of experience and demonstrated capability. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position following acceptance. You must meet the minimum basic educational/experience requirements for professional engineering positions in the Federal government. In addition, you must have at least one year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the next lower level (comparable to GS-11) in the federal service.
7. From the list below, select the best response that best describes your qualifications for GS-12 Civil EngineerA. I meet the basic requirement and have 1 year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. including experience in: dam and dam safety projects, irrigation construction, irrigation operations and maintenance, power utility construction, utility operation and maintenance, dam construction, operation and maintenance, safety issues of irrigation and power projects, dams, and conducting evaluations concerning program activities, organizing and directing investigations as a team lead or principal investigator to resolve complex engineering problems, and utilizing technical studies employing advanced computer software and analytical methods to investigate and resolve engineering problems. These examples are not all inclusive (refer to the summary of duties for specialized experience).
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task. (0 points)
8. Provide technical engineering support to Safety of Dams, DWP, Regional and Project staff for various construction and rehabilitation projects at irrigation and dam facilities.
9. Perform on-site construction quality assurance and quality control duties
10. Provide engineering technical assistance as needed to Safety of Dams, DWP and program staff throughout the nation in areas of safety of dams.
11. Review budgets submitted from the field and develop budget estimates for Safety of Dams and DWP construction, operations, maintenance, and rehabilitation.
12. Prepare quarterly deferred maintenance reports, safety reports, environmental reports, and ensures the all such reports are timely in meeting required submission schedules.
13. Summarize and manage regional Safety of Dams Program reporting requirements.
14. Ensure technical accuracy of historical, legal, economic, engineering, hydrologic, hydraulic, and geologic data produced for dam projects.
15. Assist senior Safety of Dams and DWP staff in reviewing and reporting work by tribes and contractors conducting irrigation or dam construction projects.
16. Comply with health, safety, and environmental rules and procedures and performs work in a manner that enhances the safety of the work environment.
17. Ensure federal, state, and local codes concerning health, safety, and the environment are strictly adhered to in the programming, design, and construction of real property facilities.
18. Use personal protective equipment as appropriate and complies with Bureau and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) directives.
19. Prepare transmittals of recommendations and corrective actions, and represents the Region in all Safety of Dams matters at the local, tribal, Federal and State levels.
20. Perform and monitor field inspections and examinations of dams for the safety of dams program.
21. Assist the Regional Safety of Dams Officer as required on the planning, designing, constructing, rehabilitating, betterment, operation and maintenance.
22. Ensure contracted work complies with plans and specifications.
23. Recommend proper operation and maintenance and construction practices and procedures for conformance with applicable laws and regulations.
24. Ensure compliance with Bureau policies and procedures and guidelines and procedures for dam safety, operations and maintenance, and special initiatives (e.g., Risk assessments, failure modes, Comprehensive Review guide, etc.).
affecting the safety of dams.
25. Comply with Federal Guidelines for Dam Safety, DM 753, IAM Part 50, BIA Safety of Dams Handbook and Operations and Maintenance Guidelines for respective dam projects.
26. Ensure compliance with OMB Circular A-123, Internal Control Systems and other directives, which ensure control of waste, fraud, and abuse.
27. Assist and advise senior staff of the Safety of Dams and DWP Program, in the development, implementation, and oversight of guidelines for the dam safety and security.
28. Develop and assist the Contracting Officer in negotiating service contracts and agreements for planning, designing, and specifying construction and maintenance activities for dam projects.
29. Assist in selecting desirable A & E firms, contractors and suppliers.
30. Serve as Contracting Officer's Representatives as assigned.
31. Plan and track contractual and financial matters and administrative functions related to irrigation and dam construction projects.
32. Assist irrigation and power project managers and Regional Safety of Dams staff with implementation and utilization of the BIA maintenance management system at dams.
33. Make oral presentations to governmental conferences, Tribal groups, and other organizations as related to the Safety of Dams program.
34. Make trips to field sites to provide technical guidance and assistance to Area and field Safety of Dams personnel.
35. Meet, cooperate, and consults with personnel in the other bureaus/services regarding Safety of Dams and DWP issues of common interest and makes specific recommendations to achieve program goals.
As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency during the probation period. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning; 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy; and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.
36. Failure to agree to the statement below will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.A. Yes, I verify that all of my responses to this questionnaire are true and accurate. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my application may be rated lower and/or I may be removed from further consideration.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume, veteran's or Indian preference documentation, assessment questions and answers, and SF 50's) is received and is accurate.