Thank you for your interest in the Biological Science Laboratory Technician (Animal), (GS-404-7) position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Biological Science Laboratory Technician GS-404-7 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-7 level because I have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-6 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: monitoring animal health; making and recording close observations of animals; handling animal caging equipment; maintaining records of animal health procedures and results; administering anesthesia and monitoring post-surgical animal conditions; maintaining animal colonies; and taking samples of fluids and tissues.
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) – I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Indhttp://http://www.usajobs.gov/individualswithdisabilitiesividuals with Disabilities Page. A. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps.
For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.A. Yes
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)
I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Monitor the health of laboratory animals.
2. Evaluate laboratory animals for diseases.
3. Monitor caging environments to ensure proper and humane laboratory animal care.
4. Administer food and water to laboratory animals.
5. Update veterinary staff on laboratory animal welfare.
6. Ensure research animals are handled in accordance with regulations and policies on the humane treatment of research animals.
7. Prepare laboratory animals for surgical procedures.
8. Perform physical examinations.
9. Prepare drugs, medicine, and inoculums for laboratory animals.
10. Adjust dosages of drugs, medicine, and inoculums based on animal weight or written instructions.
11. Measure physiological parameters of laboratory animals, such as body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.
12. Administer injections to animals via various routes (e.g. IP, IM, SC, IC or IV).
13. Inject experimental materials in laboratory animals via various routes (e.g. IP, IM, SC, IC or IV).
14. Collect experimental samples from laboratory animals (e.g., blood, urine, saliva, tail snips, and tissue biopsies).
15. Administer laboratory animal behavioral tests.
16. Perform laboratory animal postmortem dissections.
17. Perform whole-body perfusion techniques on laboratory animals.
18. Prepare smear slides or gram stain slides for bacterial analysis from laboratory animal samples.
19. Operate and maintain laboratory equipment in accordance with equipment manuals, standards, and technical text.
20. Determine resources required for the care and maintenance of laboratory animals.
21. Maintain laboratory animal equipment and facilities.
22. Clean and sanitize laboratory animal facilities.
23. Monitor the effectiveness of animal facility sanitation.
24. Calibrate laboratory animal facility equipment.
25. Order laboratory animal facility inventory supplies, chemicals, or equipment.
26. Maintain accurate daily records on animal disposition, health and treatments on individual cage cards.
27. Collect sequential laboratory animal colony laboratory animal health data.
28. Assess the validity of processes and recognize common errors that could affect the results of laboratory animal experiments.
29. Prepare reports regarding laboratory animal census data.
30. Use electronic equipment to record technical data.
31. Maintain animal health and facility records in compliance with Select Agent requirements.
32. Prepare laboratory animal usage reports.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
33. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding “No” to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.