Thank you for your interest in the Budget Officer (GS-560-14) position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the Qualifications Requirements of a Budget Officer, GS-0560-14 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-14 level because I have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: providing expert advice to senior level management and program managers on all phases of budget execution and financial management; evaluating organization-wide financial goals, objectives, policies and strategies; developing and implementing guidance, policies, and procedures on budget and financial management; and developing strategic financial operating plans.
The following section is used to determine your eligibility for appointment. Please respond yes or no to the following questions. FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THESE QUESTIONS WILL RESULT IN AN INELIGIBILE RATING. NOTE: You must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated. Failure to provide the required documents WILL render you not eligible for consideration.
1. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Employee – I am a current permanent Title 5 Department of Health and Human Services employee.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you MUST submit a copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional Standard Form-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis. You may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from the eOPF Page.A. Yes
2. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) – I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position within the Department of Health and Human Services in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are considered well qualified. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record. For more information on CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Develop and provide annual budget formulation instructions and guidance.
2. Provide advice and guidance on budget submissions, both narrative and tabular.
3. Work with programs to revise budget submissions, as necessary.
4. Conduct program budget reviews to identify deficiencies and recommend improvements.
5. Provide guidance on the requirements for budget requests.
6. Present budgetary recommendations to management for further action.
7. Analyze submitted data for consistency with budgetary and program objectives.
8. Assemble or compile background and historical data to develop budget estimates and justifications.
9. Assemble or compile background and historical data to identify the cost of operations.
10. Conduct oral presentations of financial data.
11. Write reports analyzing financial data that present the analysis and conclusions.
12. Analyze reports for financial closeout.
13. Monitor obligations for organizational functions to ensure they are within budgetary limits.
14. Compile budgetary data for recurring reports.
15. Prepare budget reports to track on-going funding and expenses.
16. Utilize analytical methods to conduct financial studies of program operations.
17. Analyze program work plans to determine the appropriate financial resources needed.
18. Track financial transactions using an automated accounting system to monitor sufficient funding.
19. Forecast expenditures to ensure they are within budgetary limits.
20. Analyze budgetary data to identify problems and recommend solutions.
21. Write correspondence to justify additional funds.
22. Reconcile reports with office records to track expenditures.
23. Distribute approved allocations and cost centers.
24. Utilize electronic financial systems for receipt and disbursement of funds for a variety of accounts.
25. Ensure obligations and expenditures occur on a timely basis according to the annual work plan.
26. Conduct budget execution analysis to determine if expenditures are within funding limits of approved budgets.
27. Monitor and advise on the rate of expenditure of funds.
28. Notify management officials of trends toward over- and under-obligations of funds.
29. Draft procedural instructions for use in planning and estimating funding needs.
30. Track financial transactions using automated accounting systems to monitor sufficient funding.
31. Forecast expenditures to ensure they are within budgetary limits.
32. Present budgetary recommendations to management for further action.
33. Establish schedules for work completion by subordinate staff members.
34. Guide or coach a team in the selection and application of problem solving methods and techniques.
35. Evaluate the performance of team members or subordinates.
36. Communicate policies, plans and objectives to employees.
37. Interview candidates for positions in the work unit.
38. Plan work assignments for a team.
39. Establish goals and milestones for a program.
For the following questions, please indicate YES or NO to best describe your experience.
40. Have you been a coach, facilitator or negotiator who coordinates team initiatives?A. Yes
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
41. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct and provided in good faith, and I understand the information provided above.