Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Are you eligible for noncompetitive appointment?
This includes applicants who are eligible for special or noncompetitive appointment authorities such as 30% or more compensable disabled veterans, persons with disabilities and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers. This also includes applicants who meet the qualifications for this position and who have previously held, or currently hold, a Federal position at the grade of this position.
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 15.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and/or education which meets the Minimum Qualification Requirements for Public Affairs Specialist, GS-1035-15A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience planning, developing, and executing a broad/complex public affairs program in support of public health initiatives.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from
the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the
oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and
Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.
2. Provide consultation on news media strategies, activities and responses in the area of disease prevention and control.
3. Plan and lead long range policy-public affairs issue monitoring, planning and evaluation efforts, including convening and participating on work groups to create suggestions and changes.
4. Conduct evaluation of news media communication efforts, activities and strategies to identify accomplishments and needed improvements.
5. Coordinate communication with national and international organizations.
6. Develop and implement communication strategies to respond to and resolve controversial public issues, influence public attitude and perception and support and promote the business of public health.
7. Prepare communication plans for various audiences, including members of Congress, administration officials, disease awareness groups, and the general public.
8. Provide input to Congressional hearings and briefings, budget testimony and other communications that advance agency programs or public policy initiatives.
9. Develop, implement and execute various communication and public affairs materials that effectively transmit information: including but not limited to news releases, statements, and letters to the editor, content for news media, speeches, and communication materials for executives, white papers and reports.
10. Plan, organize, oversee and direct news media activities ensuring that media communication activities comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
11. Establish and interpret policies and determine priorities for communicating scientific and public health related information.
12. Provide strategic media guidance and messaging to senior management.
13. Oversee media response activities and respond to request from the media.
14. Serve as spokesperson, responding orally to inquiries, criticism and/or skepticism of the organization's policies or research, and also educate media and outside groups about public health studies, programs, activities, and functions.
15. Respond to urgent public affairs issues as they emerge and analyze a range of information to proactively identify and propose responses to issues before they become urgent concerns.
16. Work collaboratively to facilitate meetings with agency staff and members of the public to gather information and develop issue management strategies.
17. Help solve public affairs problems or clarify information roles and/or responsibilities.
18. Help solve impact of negative public opinion by writing messages and suggesting the communication forum and media.
19. Provide written guidance and editorial services on requesting consultation and assistance in working with the media.
20. Prepare and issue decision papers relating to public health communication strategies.
21. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.