ASSOCIATE CHIEF (LER), SUPERVISORY HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST
Vacancy ID: 793204 Announcement Number: CIS-793204-HCT USAJOBS Control Number: 331922600Occupational/Assessment Questions:
Your responses to the on-line questionnaire must be supported by your resume. Failure to do so may result in an ineligible rating.
FAILURE TO SELECT A RESPONSE TO THIS QUESTION WILL DEFAULT IN A NEGATIVE RESPONSE, WHICH WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FOR THIS POSITION.
1. There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position(s); (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity; OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas. Do you meet these requirements?A. Yes
C. The residency requirement does not apply to me because I am currently a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services employee.
D. No, however I do fall under the EXCEPTION of state-side coverage. I understand that I must submit complete state-side coverage information required to make a suitability/security determination at a later time if deemed necessary.
2. Select the statement that best describes your Federal employment status.A. I am a Federal employee with competitive status or a reinstatement eligible. (Proof is required: a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action or equivalent, as stated in the announcement.)
B. I am a current or former Federal employee eligible for a status appointment under an Interchange Agreement. (Proof is required: a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, a separation notice or other appropriate documentation, as stated in the announcement.)
C. I’m eligible for noncompetitive consideration since I’ve held, or currently hold, a permanent competitive service position in the federal government with equal or higher promotion potential as this position. (Proof is required: a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action or equivalent, as stated in the announcement.)
D. I’m applying under a Program that affords me noncompetitive eligibility. (Proof is required, as stated in the announcement.)
E. I am eligible for a VEOA appointment (i.e., a veteran who is a preference eligible or who has been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.) (Proof is required: a copy of your DD-214 and VA letter, if applicable, as stated in the announcement.)
F. I am applying as an individual with a disability. (Proof is required from a licensed medical professional, a vocational rehabilitation specialist, or from a U.S. territory agency that provides disability benefits, as stated in the announcement.)
G. None of the above.
The following questions will only be used to determine whether or not you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position. You may wish to consult the vacancy announcement for a description of those requirements.
3. Which of the following statements best describes your experience?A. I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level reviewing agency employee and labor relations policies and procedures to ensure consistency in their application and recommending modifications; analyzing and resolving particularly complex and sensitive employee and labor relations problems and issues such as those involving apparently conflicting laws or other requirements and those involving vague and untested areas of case law; recommending employee and labor relations case strategies that have agency-wide impact; developing valid techniques for measuring the success of an agency employee and labor relations program; providing staff advisory services on agency-wide issues pertaining to the impact of negotiations and third-party decisions on management rights; assessing the impact and implication of pending disputes before third party authorities; or providing labor relations advice on strategic plans and complex organizational issues such as multiple reductions-in-force, outsourcing, reconfigurations of mission workload, and union representation issues.
B. I do not possess the experience described above.
You must provide the position title(s) and dates of employment referenced in your resume that demonstrates the experience related to your response.
4. There is a time-in-grade (TIG) requirement for promotion into this position. Have you completed one year in a position at or above the GS-13 grade level?A. Yes, I have completed one year in a position at or above the GS-13 grade level.
B. No. I have not completed one year in a position at or above the GS-13 grade level.
C. Not Applicable. TIG does not apply to me because I currently occupy (or have previously occupied) a position at or above the GS-14 grade level OR I am eligible under a Program that affords me noncompetitive consideration.
D. Not applicable. I am applying as an individual with a disability under a special hiring authority.
E. Not Applicable. TIG does not apply to me because I am a VEOA applicant and not a current Federal employee.
The following questions will be used to rate applicants who meet the minimum eligibility and qualification requirements.
5. Indicate the extent of your experience in developing plans for a program or an organization.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. Under the close guidance of others, I have developed short-range plans for a program (for example, set timelines, established milestones, identified needed resources).
C. I have independently developed both short- and long-range plans for a program or organization (for example, set timelines, established milestones, identified needed resources).
D. I have overseen the development of plans that were broad in scope or were complex, involving multiple entities.
6. Indicate the extent of your experience in translating goals into action plans.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have participated in a local process/project to develop action items for an action plan that supported established goals for a specific program area.
C. I have led a local process/project to develop action items for an action plan that supported established goals for a specific program area.
D. I have led a process/project for the conversion of agency goals to an action plan for a primary organizational unit or equivalent.
E. I have overseen the process/project for the conversion of agency goals to action plans. I have monitored these action plans, made appropriate adjustments, and measured goal accomplishment.
7. Indicate the extent of your experience in assigning work to subordinates based on priorities, requirements of assignments, and capabilities of the employees.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have had some experience in assigning work as a team leader or an acting supervisor.
C. I have had experience as a supervisor in assigning work to subordinates and adjusting those assignments based on changing priorities and demonstrated skills of employees.
D. I have had experience as a second- or third-level supervisor in assigning program and project responsibilities to subordinate units.
8. Have you met/negotiated with various parties to help resolve grievances/appeals?A. Yes
9. Do you have experience in interpreting and applying negotiated employee-management agreements?A. Yes
10. Have you analyzed grievances, arbitration cases, appeals (for example, MSPB), or unfair labor practices to identify trends, make improvements, or provide briefings to upper management?A. Yes
11. Indicate the extent of your knowledge and experience in labor and employee relations.A. I have had no training or experience in labor and employee relations.
B. I have had some experience in dealing with labor and employee relations issues (for example, performance and conduct issues), and I am knowledgeable of relevant contract provisions and personnel regulations.
C. I have had experience in dealing with contract and/or administrative grievances, or I have participated in negotiations with the local union officials.
D. I have had extensive experience with grievances, arbitrations, negotiations, performance or conduct issues, or non-bargaining unit appeal procedures.
12. Indicate the extent of your experience in improving the efficiency and quality of the work performed.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have made specific changes that have improved my efficiency and the quality of my work.
C. I have recommended changes that have been adopted by multiple work units and have improved their efficiency and the quality of their work.
D. I have recommended specific changes that have improved my work unit's efficiency and the quality of its work.
13. Select the choice which best describes your ability to establish and maintain effective working relations outside of the organization.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have provided routine information, resolved simple problems, questions, or complaints, and directed nonroutine problems, questions, or complaints to the appropriate person/office.
C. I have maintained relationships with members of the public who have diverse needs, assessed their needs, and provided moderately complex information to them. I have resolved fairly complex or nonroutine problems, questions, or complaints.
D. I have developed and maintained relationships with interest groups with diverse needs, anticipated and assessed their needs, and provided complex information to them. I have resolved complex or nonroutine problems, questions, or complaints.
14. Indicate the extent of your experience in responding to Congressional, interagency, or intra-agency inquiries/complaints.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have drafted portions of responses for higher-level review on Congressional, interagency, or intra-agency inquiries based on my understanding of Federal laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
C. I have written responses/testimony and represented the organization on Congressional, interagency, or intra-agency inquiries based on knowledge of Federal laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
15. Indicate the extent of your experience in developing and interpreting policy on designated programs.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have assisted and provided input to my superiors or subject-matter experts concerning the development of a new policy or the application of a new policy to a specific program.
C. I have drafted and/or studied proposals for the implementation of new policies or provided recommendations for the application of policies to a specific program.
D. I have independently developed and implemented new policies that impacted a specific program or interpreted the program response to farreaching policy directives.
16. Select the choice which best describes your ability to negotiate with internal and external groups.A. I have conferred with others on an individual basis to resolve workrelated problems and/or held discussions aimed at persuading others to agree with my viewpoint.
B. I have conferred and negotiated with internal groups to facilitate program implementation and/or find mutually acceptable approaches to workrelated problems.
C. I have successfully conducted negotiations about sensitive, workrelated subjects with both internal and external groups.
17. Indicate the extent of your experience in defusing potentially volatile/difficult situations and providing interested parties with opportunities to voice their concerns.A. I have had no experience in performing this task.
B. I have had experience in defusing potentially volatile/difficult situations involving one or two individuals.
C. I have had experience in defusing potentially volatile/difficult situations involving a group.
D. I have had extensive experience in defusing potentially volatile/difficult situations involving multiple groups.
18. Select the choice which best describes your ability to communicate with all levels of managers, staff members, and outside groups.A. I have communicated with other staff members and managers in the routine performance of my duties.
B. I have conducted meetings with and provided training for staff members or outside groups.
C. I have presented briefings on program areas to higher level managers or internal/external organizations or agencies.
D. I have represented a program or organization in high level conferences and/or meetings or acted as a liaison to other internal/external organizations or agencies.
19. Select the choice which best describes your ability to communicate in writing.A. I have written responses to requests for information, or I have edited non-technical writing from others.
B. I have written policies, procedures, training manuals, and/or other technical materials.
C. I have explained in writing the application of laws, regulations, precedents, covering legal actions, or I have written congressional testimony that presented sensitive or controversial information.
Applicants who have permanently held a position with promotion potential equivalent to GS-14 or higher in the competitive service can be referred for selection without competition under our agency merit promotion procedures. Details and temporary promotions do not count. Your responses to the following questions will be used to determine whether or not you can be categorized as a non-competitive eligible. If you are referred non-competitively based on your responses and that information is later found to be incorrect, you may lose further consideration under this announcement.
20. Have you ever held (or do you currently hold) a competitive service position on a permanent basis in the federal government with promotion potential equivalent to GS-14 or higher that does not require further competition?A. Yes
21. If you are a Federal employee, is your most recent performance rating equivalent to a "pass," "satisfactory," or better?A. Yes
C. I am a Federal employee but have not received a performance rating.
D. Not applicable. I am not a Federal employee.
As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency.A. Yes, I verify that all of my responses to this questionnaire are true and accurate. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that I may be removed from consideration.
Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning, 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.
Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.
B. No, I do not accept this agreement and/or I no longer wish to be considered for this position.