This assessment section includes questions to determine if you are in the area of consideration for this vacancy. FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THESE QUESTIONS MAY RESULT IN AN INELIGIBLE RATING. Please choose A (Yes) or B (No) for each of the following items to identify which of the following descriptions applies to you.A- Yes.
1. Are you a U.S. Citizen or National?
2. Are you a current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago? This includes applicants who have previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered.
3. Are you a Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)? You must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. Eligibility for VRA appointments includes Disabled veterans; Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years. Disabled veterans must provide the SF-15 and supporting documentation from the VA along with DD-214.
4. Are you a 30% or more Disabled Veteran? You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered.
5. Are you a military spouse? Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation as proof to be considered.
6. Are you eligible for a Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule 'A' Appointment? Please submit documentation from a State or Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered.
7. Are you eligible for a Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment? Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
8. Are you eligible under an Interchange Agreement or other Miscellaneous Authorities? Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
1. From the responses below, select the one response that best describes the education and/or experience you possess which shows how you meet the basic requirement for the position.A. I possess a Bachelor's or higher degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent. Note: You must include a copy of your transcripts for verification.
2. Please select the response below that best indicates how you meet the minimum qualifications for a GS-11 Microbiologist.A. I possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service that included performing duties such as: following protocols and methodologies to plan and conduct microbiological research and experimentation; operating a variety of laboratory and field equipment to perform moderately complex microbiological data gathering techniques; analyzing results of microbiological data in order to draw conclusions or generate plausible interpretations; and documenting and summarizing experimental outcomes of completed projects in preparation for scientific journal submission.
The following statements pertain to knowledge of microbiological and chemical principles, theories, research, and practices.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Review and extract information from current scientific literature to apply new concepts and techniques to microbiological research activities
4. Plan and implement experiments and protocols involving molecular biology.
5. Develop new methods for the collection and analysis of infectious disease experimental data.
6. Discuss current research or projects with staff and outside collaborators in order to receive feedback and share best practices.
7. Apply established or modified methods to independently conduct measurements and analyses.
8. Perform collection and organization of microbiological data according to instructions and standardized procedures (e.g., recognition of valid data, data quality assessment and appropriate storage).
The following statements pertain to your ability to observe microbiological methodologies and practices and interpret their implications.
9. Participate in the modification of existing methods of analysis in order to overcome difficulties in dealing with specific systems or microorganisms.
10. Maintain official laboratory recordings in order to document observations and results obtained.
11. Analyze results of microbiological data in order to draw conclusions or generate plausible interpretations.
12. Evaluate the adequacy of results according to established procedures.
13. Summarize experimental results of completed projects in preparation for scientific journal submission.
The following statements pertain to your skill in calibrating and operating microbiological and chemical laboratory equipment.
14. Calibrate and modify specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
15. Conduct field and laboratory analysis of collected biology samples.
16. Utilize complex laboratory equipment to gather observable, empirical and measurable evidence.
17. Undertake routine care and calibration of intricate laboratory instruments (e.g. centrifuges, HPLC instruments).
18. Perform regular preventative maintenance and minor repairs in order to ensure laboratory or field equipment is in top working condition.
The following statements pertain to your ability to initiate experimental design and execute project objectives.
19. Perform a range of experiments which are designed to provide answers for specific research problem areas.
20. Devise and recommend alternative methods of standardized evaluation and analysis to solve specific research or practical problems.
21. Investigate applicable methodologies to carry out experimentations that align with project scope and goals.
22. Review pertinent scientific literature to select methods and procedures most appropriate for research objectives, making adjustments as needed.
23. Modify protocols, when necessary, to optimize the collection of usable data.
The following statements pertain to your ability to obtain, statistically analyze, and summarize research data.
24. Prepare results of findings from experiments conducted, including initial interpretation of significance to the overall project.
25. Use computers and software packages to tabulate, evaluate and interpret research data.
26. Interpret variables, trends, correlations, and interrelationships among research data and conditions.
27. Input and display scientific or technical data into spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel).
28. Enter, maintain, and modify biological data in computer databases (e.g. Access).
Certification of Understanding - Select the appropriate answer to the statement below. Failure to provide an answer will result in your not being considered for this position.
29. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated and that responding "No" or providing no response to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I understand the information provided above and certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith.