Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Supervisory Security Specialist
Enter the lowest grade level (15-15) you will accept.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise, you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
Select the Occupational Specialty Code that identifies how you would like to receive consideration for this position. Applicants requesting consideration as a merit promotion, Schedule A, or non-competitive eligible candidate must include the appropriate required supporting documents with their application package.
The Specialty code(s) for this position are 001 and 002. Please note that you must select at least one specialty code but may select multiple codes if desired. Each code is defined below:
001 - Merit Promotion. This includes current Federal employees who serve under a competitive career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service, reinstatement eligibles (former Federal employees who served under a career appointment in the competitive service) and VEOA eligibles (veterans with preference and veterans who have been honorably discharged and substantially completed at least 3 years of continuous active duty service. You must provide qualifying documentation (i.e. - SF-50, performance appraisal and/or veterans documentation).
002 - Non competitive and Special Hiring Authorities. This includes applicants who are eligible for non competitive or special appointment authorities such as: 30% or more compensably disabled veterans, Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA - for position at GS-11 and below), and persons with disabilities (Schedule A), military spouse preference, Federal employees in excepted position covered under an interchange agreement, and other eligible special hiring authorities (such as Peace Corps, Boren Fellows, etc.). This also includes applicants who previously held, or currently hold, this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced this 800597. For more information about special hiring authorities, visit: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp. You must provide qualifying documentation for a non competitive or special hiring authority.
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
Thank you for your interest in a Supervisory Security Specialist position with the Department of Justice.
We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Select the one statement that best describes the experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform Supervisory Security Specialist work at the GS-15 grade level or equivalent pay band in the Federal service.A. I have at least one year (52 weeks) of specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service working with classified management policies and regulations; evaluating physical security requirements and classified records management; applying analytical methods to the development of new methods and approaches in planning, integrating, and evaluating security programs for the agency; advising other specialists in and outside the agency on enhancing program matters involving interactions with high level officials inside and outside the agency, both nationally and internationally.
INSTRUCTIONS: In this part, you will respond to questions about supervisory/leadership experiences you have had that are related to the requirements of the job for which you are applying. Carefully review the response descriptions listed below. For each question or statement, select the ONE response description that best describes your experience.A- I have performed this task as a supervisor or director of a work unit/group/division.
2. Plans work to be accomplished by subordinate employees.
3. Sets and adjusts short-term priorities.
4. Assigns work based on priorities, consideration of the difficulty and requirement of assignments, and capabilities of employees.
5. Identifies ways to improve production or increase the quality of the work performed.
6. Develops performance goals standards.
7. Evaluates and coaches work performance of subordinate employees.
8. Gives advice or instruction to subordinate employees on work-related and administrative matters
9. Recommends appointment, promotion, and reassignment of employees.
10. Enforces minor disciplinary measures such as warnings and reprimands.
11. Identifies developmental and training needs of subordinate employees.
12. Analyzes and defends changes in goals, funding, staffing levels and organizational priorities.
13. Reviews and approves the substance of reports, correspondence, operational guidelines and other documents prepared by subordinate staff.
for each item, select the ONE response that most accurately describes your current level of experience and capability using the scale below.A- I do not have experience or demonstrated capability in performing this activity, but I am willing to learn.
14. Plan and provide leadership, oversight, and direction for the Division.
15. Participate in the development and coordination of overall policy regarding security.
16. Serve as the focal point in the development of long-range plans undertaken and designed to increase the effectiveness of the staff.
17. Oversee the development of management plans, including program goals, tactical and strategic plans, and objectives.
18. Oversee the development of plans of action including coordination with the budget office in the development of annual budgets and operating plans.
19. Confer with executives in private industry and with officials in professional societies on matters relating to developments in the security field.
20. Provide authoritative guidance and leadership to programs impacting one or several major agency organizations.
21. Evaluate security systems to ensure that maximum security is in place.
22. Coordinate with other department, agencies and vendors on issues relating to physical security.
23. Contribute to the oversight of national organizational analysis programs that provide recommendations on and resolve precedent-setting issues.
24. Plan, organize, and carry through to completion analytical studies involving the substance of key agency programs.
25. Develop new ways to measure program accomplishments, results, and effectiveness.
26. Oversee the conducting of surveys and analyses to identify the vulnerability of physical and information security.
27. Analyze and evaluate existing, new, and emerging functional requirements of the organization, program standards, and measures of effectiveness.
28. Oversee organizational analysis for key agency-wide organizations or programs or major national missions or functions.
29. As previously explained, your ratings in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you, for rating you ineligible, for lowering your score, or for dismissing you from the position/agency during the probation period. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you:
1. understand this warning,
2. have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and
3. verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.
Failure to agree to the statement below will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.