Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 11.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your education and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-11.
2. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-11.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Carry out culture and isolation of the bacterial respiratory agents M. pneumoniae, C. pneumoniae, C. psittaci, and L. pneumophila. Knowledge and skill of elementary body purification for C. pneumoniae and C. psittaci.
4. Perform various techniques to rapidly identify and characterize the microbiological agents M. pneumoniae, C. pneumoniae, C. psittaci, and L. pneumophila.
5. Identify methods and procedures to collect data and conduct experiments and studies.
6. Ensure that incoming specimens are processed, correctly entered in to a lab data management system, reviewed, and reported out following a set of defined guidelines and procedures for accuracy and confidentiality
7. Apply knowledge of the technical rules and procedures for conducting scientific projects and programs including technical analyses, documentation and preparation of reports and presentation of findings.
8. Proficient with the ABI ViiA7, ABI 7500, and Qiagen Rotorgene real-time PCR instruments for the identification and characterization of respiratory bacterial pathogens.
9. Design, validate, and optimize real-time PCR diagnostic and subtyping assays.
10. Generate, analyze and manages whole genome sequence data. Applies basic bioinformatics to support public health is desirable.
11. Develop, provides, and/or assists with training to enhance the capacity of the local/international public health partners in the use of TaqMan Array Card (TAC) technology.
12. Provide outbreak response and laboratory expertise during national and international respiratory disease outbreaks, including those involving M. pneumoniae, C. pneumoniae, and L. pneumophila.
13. Make adaptations to procedures and accepted practices.
14. Handle unexpected conditions arising during the normal course of the work.
15. Operate technical laboratory instruments including the nanodrop, bioanalyzer and magnapure compact.
16. Perform experiments in accordance with approved methods and procedures.
17. Evaluate progress of the experiment to determine whether data generated are accurate and valid.
18. Demonstrate the ability to clearly communicate scientific data in oral presentations.
19. Provide training in the use of laboratory equipment and proper laboratory procedures.
20. Present laboratory findings and data among peers at local, national or international settings.
21. Prepare reports on scientific investigations, studies and projects.
22. Prepare a wide variety of charts, graphs, manuscripts, spreadsheets, etc. to report on study results and note any inconsistencies or area where the data appears inconclusive.
23. Authored or co-authored peer-reviewed scientific publications related to the field of microbiology.
24. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.