1. From the descriptions below (A through D), select one response that best describes how your background meets the basic experience or education requirements for a Park Ranger (Interpretation), GS-0025-05, position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these minimum qualifications, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.
Ability to communicate orally to diverse groups and in a variety of settings.
For the questions below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The questions were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.
Be sure to describe your experience that supports your answers to the questions below, in your resume or application materials. It is important that your application package submitted, including a resume or application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skill levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
2. Present informational talks, guided tours, briefings, and/or lectures to various audiences to inform or educate.
3. Respond verbally to customers' inquiries for information, direction, and/or guidance.
4. Initiate verbal communication with customers in a variety of settings to inform, educate, and/or guide.
5. Promote an organization's programs and services to encourage public interest.
6. Negotiate with individuals or organizations to resolve conflicts, disputes, or grievances.
Ability to communicate in writing.
7. Respond in writing to customers' inquiries for information, direction, and/or guidance
8. Write letters, reports, program/presentation outlines, or other documents for information purposes.
9. Draft bulletins, brochures, or articles for eventual publication.
: Ability to research, develop, and present a variety of formal, structured, and impromptu thematic interpretive programs such as talks, guided walks and off-site programs to diverse audiences.
10. Research scientific, technical, and/or historical sources to develop information and educational programs.
11. Translate scientific, technical, and/or historical information into understandable concepts for diverse audiences.
12. Provide information to the public about cultural, historical or natural science oriented topics to answer questions, stimulate their interest and appreciation.
13. Utilize a variety of interpretive techniques (such as metaphors, storytelling, analogies) to deliver information to diverse audiences.
14. Develop or upgrade interpretive products (such as exhibit text, trail guide, web cast), for natural, historical, or cultural programs, publications, or exhibits.
15. Utilize interpretive principles (such as tangible resources, intangible resources, universal concepts) to facilitate intellectual and/or emotional connections between audiences' interests and their surroundings.
16. Develop interpretive programs (such as activities, short talks, presentations) using interpretive techniques, products and principles.
: Ability to communicate effectively and provide excellent customer service (Interpersonal skills).
17. Assess customer needs to provide appropriate level of information or assistance.
18. Provide direction to, information on, and orientation regarding services or activities of interest to the public.
19. Serve as a front-line representative of an organization to greet customers and answer questions.
20. Direct customers with problems, questions, or complaints to the appropriate person.
21. Educate customers regarding rules, regulations, and safety concerns to gain compliance.
: Skill in daily operation of a busy visitor center/information desk, sales outlet, bookstore, or similar facility to include providing frontline information and support services.
22. Perform opening and closing procedures for an information center or place of business according to established procedures.
23. Fill out daily reports to account for sales.
24. Operate cash register or credit card machines to accomplish work in business operations.
25. Maintain inventory, stock, and accountable property.
26. Collect cash or other payments in high volume sales operation (such as a busy entrance station, sales outlet, or visitor contact station).
: Skill in operating computers, various computer programs, and office equipment.
27. Use multimedia (such as, audio-visual equipment, computer software) to create informational presentations or products.
28. Use computer software for internet research, word processing and data entry to accomplish work.
29. Operate standard office equipment other than computers (such as telephone, fax, photocopier, calculator) to accomplish work.
30. As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to e4valuation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency.
Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning, 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.
Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.