This assessment section includes questions to determine if you are in the area of consideration for this vacancy. FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THESE QUESTIONS MAY RESULT IN AN INELIGIBLE RATING. Please choose A (Yes) or B (No) for each of the following items to identify which of the following descriptions applies to you.A- Yes.
1. Are you a U.S. Citizen or National?
2. Are you a current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago? This includes applicants who have previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered.
3. Are you a Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)? You must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. Eligibility for VRA appointments includes Disabled veterans; Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years. Disabled veterans must provide the SF-15 and supporting documentation from the VA along with DD-214.
4. Are you a 30% or more Disabled Veteran? You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered.
5. Are you a military spouse? Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation as proof to be considered.
6. Are you eligible for a Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule 'A' Appointment? Please submit documentation from a State or Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered.
7. Are you eligible for a Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment? Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
8. Are you eligible under an Interchange Agreement or other Miscellaneous Authorities? Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
1. From the descriptions below, please select the one response that best describes how your experience and/or education meets the requirements for the Range Technician at the GS-5 grade level. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY 1 RESPONSE. IF YOU SELECT MORE THAN ONE RESPONSE OR LEAVE THE QUESTION BLANK YOU WILL BE RATED INELIGIBLE. NOTE: Your application materials must support your responses to the following questionnaire.A. I have one year (12-months) of full-time specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service performing the following duties: collecting and analyzing rangeland vegetation and soil characteristics data for a rangeland research project; using hand tools, ATVs, and/or heavy equipment in a rangeland environment; identifying plants using taxonomy keys and measure vegetation cover, density, and biomass; collecting, preparing, evaluating, and verifying samples and supporting records; and keeping detailed records of experimental data.
2. From the descriptions below, please select the one response that best describes how your experience and/or education meets the requirements for the Range Technician at the GS-7 grade level. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY 1 RESPONSE. IF YOU SELECT MORE THAN ONE RESPONSE OR LEAVE THE QUESTION BLANK YOU WILL BE RATED INELIGIBLE. NOTE: Your application materials must support your responses to the following questionnaire.A. I have at least one year (12-months) of full-time specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-06 grade level in the Federal service performing the following duties: participating in multiple phases of the research process by performing a variety of complex technical duties in a rangeline environment; adapting, modifying, or developing new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of a research project; collecting, preparing, evaluating, and verifying samples and supporting records; tabulating, statistically analyzing, and summarizing data using personal computers and software packages; initiating action to resolve or correct technical difficulties and results; and researching literature pertinent to the area of study for new procedures or techniques to use in a laboratory, field, or greenhouse.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Participate in one or more phases of research process by performing a variety of standardized or routine duties in a rangeland environment
4. Identify plants using taxonomy keys and measure vegetation cover, density, and biomass.
5. Ensure all work areas within a laboratory, greenhouse, or field environment are orderly, clean, functional, and operated safely.
6. Initiate action to resolve or correct technical research difficulties and/or results.
7. Determine appropriate methods and procedures for conducting research.
8. Contribute ideas to the planning and sequencing of the technical aspects of experimental design and execution.
9. Follow detailed sampling and laboratory procedures to ensure compliance with quality control/quality assurance guidelines.
10. Adapt, modify or develop new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project.
11. Research literature pertinent to area of study for new procedures or techniques to use in rangeline.
12. Adapt information from published literature for use as guidelines for new procedures.
13. Test new research techniques and/or procedures to determine viability of use.
14. Assist with preparing preliminary data for a project report.
15. Maintain detailed records of experimental protocols and/or procedures.
16. Use computers and software packages to tabulate, statistically analyze and summarize research data (e.g. SAS).
17. Interpret variables, trends, correlations, and interrelationships among research data and conditions.
18. Create worksheets and graphic displays using spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel and Sigmaplot).
19. Enter, maintain, and modify biological data in computer databases (e.g. Access).
20. Utilize specialized instruments such as quadrats, line-intercept, and belt-transect to measure herbaceous and shrub vegetation cover and density.
21. Measure vegetation biomass and livestock utilization using rangeland sampling procedures.
22. Determine the types and frequency of tests, observations, etc., to be made and the type of data to be recorded.
23. Utilize equipment to measure soil water content, soil texture, elevation, slope, and aspect.
24. Manage an inventory of equipment and supplies for use in rangeland research.
Certification of Understanding - Select the appropriate answer to the statement below. Failure to provide an answer will result in your not being considered for this position.
25. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated and that responding "No" or providing no response to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I understand the information provided above and certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith.