Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice (DOJ). Your response to this assessment questionnaire, in conjunction with other portions of your completed application, will be evaluated in making screening decisions.
This is a DOJ job application system. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this application. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
For each of the following questions, please select the response that best describes your education and/or experience. You may select only one response for each question. If you feel that your education or experience exceeds all of the descriptions for a particular question, choose the description that is the closest level to the experience or education that you possess. Failure to respond to these questions will result in an ineligible rating.
1. All Assistant United States Attorney applicants are required to certify that they are duly licensed to practice law as an attorney at the time of applying and were so licensed for at least one year prior to this application under the laws of a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territorial court established under the United States Constitution. Do you meet this requirement?
The area of consideration is limited to the Executive Office for United States Attorneys and United States Attorney's Offices. Applicants must currently hold a permanent attorney position in either a U.S. Attorney's Office or the Executive Office for United States Attorneys. This includes attorney's currently serving on a 14-month temporary appointment pending the successful completion of their background investigation as well as attorney's currently under the Attorney General's Honors Program.
2. Are you currently employed by the Executive Office for United States Attorney's or a United States Attorney's Office?
If your answer to question 2 was "F," use the text box below to identify the type of appointment you are currently appointed under. If you do not provide sufficient information to determine your appointment type, you will be rated ineligible.
3. How many appellate briefs (opening or answer) have you filed in federal court?
4. How many appellate briefs (opening or answer) have you filed in federal court?
5. How many oral arguments have you delivered in federal court?
6. How many oral arguments have you delivered in state court?
7. Do you have experience consulting with the Department of Justice about adverse district court or appellate decisions?
8. How many cases have you tried in state court?
Please answer Yes, NO, or NOT APPLICABLE to the following condition of employment questions. If you respond Yes to any of these questions please provide an explanation in the narrative box provided below. A Yes answer does not necessarily disqualify a candidate from consideration. However, inaccurate or incomplete information regarding ethics and professionalism may prevent further consideration.
9. Have you failed to file or pay state or federal taxes for any year you were required to file returns or are you currently delinquent in the payment of state or federal taxes? If yes, please use the narrative box at the end of this section to fully describe the circumstances and resolution of the delinquency.
10. Are you delinquent in the payment of any student loans? If yes, please use the narrative box at the end of this section to fully describe the circumstances and resolution of the delinquency.
11. Have you ever had a state bar complaint filed against you or had your conduct referred to a state bar in any jurisdiction? If you respond yes to this question, please use the narrative text box at the end of this section to fully explain the circumstances, disclose the jurisdiction and the resolution.
12. Has your conduct ever been referred to the Office of Professional Responsibility, Department of Justice? If yes, please use the narrative text box at the end of this section to fully describe the circumstances and resolution of the referral.
13. Has any court ever issued any sanctions, monetary or otherwise, against you or your client arising out of your conduct? If yes, please use the narrative text box at the end of this section to fully describe the circumstances and sanctions.
14. Have you or your employer ever reported your conduct or performance to a professional liability carrier? If yes, please use the narrative text box at the end of this section to fully describe the circumstances and resolutions.
In the text box below, provide a thorough explanation of any "Yes" response to questions 9 through 14. Please pay special attention to the instructions for each question concerning specificity and detail.
The current pay structure at DOJ-EOUSA is based on years of experience; thus, depending on your professional experience, we may not be able to meet your current salary. In order to provide a reference for possible future discussions, please answer the following questions.
15. Please indicate your current years of experience.
16. Please indicate your current annual salary.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
17. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history, criminal history, fingerprint check and a pre-employment drug screening, is required for this position.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you
provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment
Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all
necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department