Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Are you eligible for noncompetitive appointment?
This includes applicants who are eligible for special or noncompetitive appointment authorities such as 30% or more compensable disabled veterans, persons with disabilities and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers. This also includes applicants who meet the qualifications for this position and who have previously held, or currently hold, a Federal position at the grade of this position.
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 12.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, choose one answer that best describes your experience and/or education which meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-12.A. I have completed the requirements for a bachelor's (or graduate) degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
2. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403-12.A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service, providing technical direction and scientific proficiency on biological agents and toxins policy matters, in identifying and analyzing biosafety and security issues in biomedical laboratories.
Instructions: For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Plan sequence, direction, and progress of microbiological work.
4. Modify standard study methods, requirements, practices, or techniques or existing guides to address current and evolving problems or issues.
5. Identify methods and procedures to collect data and conduct experiments and studies.
6. Enforce technical rules and procedures that apply to scientific projects and programs.
7. Prepare analyses and reports of findings for tests and studies.
8. Conduct or prepare for regulatory inspections at scientific institutions.
9. Perform safety inspections, surveys, compliance inspections and development of risk assessments.
10. Prepare and/or evaluate biosafety or biosecurity plans for microbiological work.
11. Work with biological toxins.
12. Investigate, analyze, and evaluate problems and situations involving circumstances or unusual conditions for activities carried out in the scientific area.
13. Identify unusual or unexpected results and their probable causes.
14. Evaluate progress of activities to determine accuracy.
15. Inform supervisors and managers of new policies, processes, and management practices, and effect changes.
16. Present research findings at professional meetings.
17. Participate in oral discussions for planning, coordinating, or consulting on work efforts.
18. Convey information about a project to colleagues within the organization.
19. Serve as point of contact for other personnel specific matters of science or policy.
20. Prepare reports for scientific investigations, studies and projects.
21. Prepare charts, graphs, manuscripts, and spreadsheets to report results and inconsistencies.
22. Prepares a variety of documents including standard operating procedures, technical manuals, and scientific documents.
23. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct and provided in good faith, and I understand the information provided above.