Thank you for your interest in the Biologist (Molecular), GS-0401-09/11/12 position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit your questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes your education or experience as related to the occupational requirements for a Biologist GS-401 position:
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the additional qualification requirements for a Biologist GS-0401-9 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-9 level because I have completed a master’s degree, or at least 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent graduate degree in a related field.
3. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Biologist GS-0401-11 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.
4. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for the Biologist, GS-0401-12 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement:
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) - I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities PageA. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps. For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Plan the sequence, direction, and progress of microbiological experiments and projects in support of biomedical research.
2. Perform biomedical research experiments in accordance with approved methods and procedures in Biosafety Level (BSL) 3 containment conditions.
3. Conduct molecular biology techniques using nucleic acids from human or animal pathogens.
4. Process and triage specimens while maintaining laboratory "chain-of-custody."
5. Review scientific material for incorporation of concepts and techniques into biomedical research activities.
6. Identify methods and procedures used to collect molecular biology data.
7. Evaluate experiments to ensure they are proceeding according to planned methods and procedures.
8. Modify standard study methods, requirements, practices, techniques, or existing guides to address current and evolving problems or issues.
9. Evaluate the progress of biomedical research experiments to determine their validity and accuracy.
10. Compare results with those obtained from previous experiments to verify accuracy.
11. Write analyses and reports of findings for tests and studies.
12. Identify unusual or unexpected results and their probable causes to determine if the experiments must be rerun or conditions modified.
13. Design and troubleshoot protocols or methods designed to examine protein-protein interactions.
14. Develop new methods for collecting, organizing, and recording biomedical research experimental data for publication.
15. Maintain accurate laboratory records to ensure proper retention of scientific data.
16. Write reports where you interpret findings, summarize conclusions, and prepare biomedical research data in final form.
17. Analyze and interpret biomedical research data using statistical applications and data management software.
18. Write a variety of documents including standard operating procedures, technical manuals, and scientific documents.
19. Write instructions of standard laboratory procedures.
20. Assemble data in tabular (e.g., graphs, charts) and narrative form.
21. Organize and maintain biomedical research laboratory facilities and equipment.
22. Maintain and order laboratory supplies such as buffers, reagents, media, and animals.
23. Train laboratory staff in the use of laboratory equipment and instruments.
24. Handle biological or microbiological samples in approved ways to avoid contamination in a biomedical laboratory.
25. Enforce safe laboratory practices and hazardous materials handling and following established guidelines for biomedical laboratories.
26. Develop molecular cloning methods for the construction of viral vectors or full length molecular clones.
27. Use conditional expression methods or reverse genetics to obtain RNA interference or recover infectious virus.
28. Develop methods to examine protein-protein interactions by co-immunoprecipitation.
29. Expand and maintain primary cell lines.
30. Apply anesthesia to laboratory mice or rats.
31. Innoculate or treat laboratory mice or rats.
32. Dissect or surgically take tissue samples from laboratory mice or rats.
33. Use mutagenesis to alter the structure of expressed proteins.
34. Develop methods for transfection and ectopic gene expression in mammalian cells.
35. Propagate and quantify RNA viruses.
36. Prepare chemical reagents and solutions of varying stability for use in tests and analyses.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
37. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding “No” to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.