Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 08.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. I am able to type 40 words per minute based on a five minute sample with three or fewer errors.A. Yes
2. I have experience and/or training using several computer systems and a variety of software to prepare word processing documents and reports.A. Yes
3. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience that meet the qualification requirements for Secretary (Office Automation), GS-318-8.A. I have at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service, maintaining the office calendar and scheduling meetings; receiving and referring visitors and incoming calls to the appropriate personnel; preparation of correspondence; maintaining automated tracking systems and processes; preparing and consolidating time and attendance data for staff and providing advice and guidance to staff on clerical and administrative matters.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training in that task. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
4. Perform general office work in support of the organization which may include processing mail, filing, maintaining calendars of activities and appointment, travel arrangements, and schedules, answering telephones and greeting visitors.
5. Participate in and assist management and staff in the development and accomplishment of a variety meetings and/or workshops.
6. Control outgoing/incoming correspondence and action documents reviewing correspondence and identifying conflicts or departure from policies resolving and clarifying document before presented for final signature/approval.
7. Formulate recommendations based on background and understanding of policies, regulations, procedures and information.
8. Coordinate work assignments with subordinate components providing specific instructions as needed.
9. Develop, compile, interpret, monitor and evaluate information/data from various sources taking appropriate action or making recommendations as necessary.
10. Tracks and monitors assignments taking initiative to resolve problems ensuring required format and due dates, etc. are met.
11. Research and gather information, extrapolating, coordinating and summarizing data from files and records independently recognizing information relevant or identifying the need to contact outside sources to obtain proper information.
12. Conduct studies of existing procedures and makes recommendations or independently revises and develops alternative procedures.
13. Monitor the status and progress of work and makes day-to-day adjustments in accordance with established priorities, obtaining assistance from supervisor on problems that might arise.
14. Uses software programs such as word processing, database, spreadsheet and electronic mail.
15. Enter and retrieve information from a variety of systems preparing reports and spreadsheets as required.
16. Select the most appropriate software for automating office work based on the nature of the work and results needed.
17. Type a variety of forms, records, and correspondence with a high level of typing proficiency.
18. Ensure finished product meets deadline and supervisor's instruction on work sequence, procedures, and correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation is used.
19. Receive visitors to the office screening all calls determining the nature of the visit or call referring to appropriate staff member for handling.
20. Communicate orally with supervisors, co-workers, visitors and customers concerning related policies, practices, procedures and precedent guidelines.
21. Participate in and assist management and staff in the development and accomplishment of a variety of meetings and/or workshops.
22. Create and/or edits letters, memos, and reports.
23. Request, receive and respond to requests for information and/or data providing status, advice and materials to various internal components and external organizations.
24. Composes non-technical correspondence for signature of supervisor.