If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service?
For information on who is required to register for the Selective Service, please visit The Who Must Register Page
Thank you for your interest in the Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-14, position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the Minimum Education requirements for the Mathematical Statistician (Biomedical Research) position as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position because I have a degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics (of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics). Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement.
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-14, as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-14 level because I have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: providing statistical consultation to and collaboration with scientists on research study methodology; providing advice and consultation on a variety of problems involving the theory or application of statistical methods; evaluating new statistical methods for broad and comprehensive research projects; applying a variety of complex statistical and modeling techniques to laboratory and/or clinical data; and serving as lead author on presentations, journal articles, or organization reports.
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) - I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities PageA. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps. For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Develop new statistical and mathematical hypotheses for biomedical research studies using state-of-the-art statistical methods.
2. Develop new methodologies to ensure statistical results are scientifically sound, relevant, valid and reliable.
3. Advise senior officials on initiating new statistical methods or major revisions to current statistical methodology.
4. Develop analytical or mathematical models for use in data collection and reduction.
5. Promote and gain acceptance of new, controversial statistical methodologies.
6. Provide statistical advice to public health professionals, senior scientists or management officials.
7. Provide technical consultation and leadership on complex statistical studies.
8. Evaluate the feasibility of study design and analysis techniques to determine if they meet the objectives of research studies.
9. Review and advise on biomedical research analysis protocol designs.
10. Initiate, formulate, plan and execute health-related statistical studies.
11. Advise senior officials on appropriate study designs, data quality, statistical analysis, or interpretation of study results.
12. Consult or collaborate with other scientists on aspects of study design, analysis, and interpretation.
13. Lead discussions on study design, statistical analysis, and data management aspects of a research project.
14. Make oral presentations as an invited speaker at professional meetings and conferences.
15. Prepare reports documenting progress of statistical studies including methods of analysis, computer programs developed and results of analyses.
16. Prepare technical or scientific papers on findings of statistical investigations.
17. Collaborate with scientists on the preparation of manuscripts and reports on statistical findings of research studies.
18. Prepare technical or scientific papers, reports, chapters, and/or fact sheets that present and analyze statistical or numerical information.
19. Conduct bio-statistical analyses to identify trends associated with determining cause-effect relationships between environment, social, and other health factors with diseases.
20. Apply a variety of analytic strategies (e.g., logistic regression, survival models, generalized risk models, and multivariate models) to laboratory or clinical data.
21. Apply analysis of variance techniques to the evaluation of laboratory or clinical data.
22. Use probability techniques in evaluating laboratory or clinical research data.
23. Perform regression analyses techniques in evaluating laboratory or clinical data.
24. Perform analyses of data using statistical computing packages to resolve scientific problems.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
25. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct and provided in good faith, and I understand the information provided above.