Public Affairs Specialist (External Affairs Liaison)
Vacancy ID: 823064 Announcement Number: M009-13-COMM-823064 USAJOBS Control Number: 335440200Occupational/Assessment Questions:
1. Carefully read the following statements and mark only one response that bestA. I am a current Federal Employee with career or career-conditional status.
describes your Federal Status.
B. I am a former Federal employee with career status.
C. I am a former Federal employee with career-conditional status who left
Federal service within the past three years.
D. I am a former Federal employee with a career-conditional status and am
entitled to Veteran's Preference status.
E. I am eligible to apply under the Veterans' Employment Opportunities Act of
1998 (VEOA). (See instructions in the Qualification and Evaluation tab of this
F. I am eligible to apply under a non-competitive special appointing authority
(See instructions in the Qualification and Evaluation tab of this announcement.)
G. None of the above applies to me.
2. Are you willing to work in Washington D.C. and accept this position without relocation incentive? A. Yes
3. From the descriptions below, select the option which best describes your education and/or experience to perform the duties of a Public Affairs Specialist (External Affairs Liaison), GS-11 level. Make sure your resume supports the response that you select. Mark only 1 response.A. I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service or its equivalent. Specialized experience may include: 1) Scheduling, designing, planning, and making arrangement for events 2) Creating and maintaining a long-range calendar of events and coordinating with internal and external contacts. 3) Engaging in positive exchanges with customers, event guests, etc. 4) Reporting key takeaways and conclusions from meetings or briefings to team leaders and senior management.
B. I have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.M. degree from an accredited college or university in Communication, Public Affairs, or a closely related field that provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do the work of a Public Affairs Specialist (External Affairs Liaison).
C. I have a combination of graduate level education and appropriate specialized experience as described in A and B above that together meet requirements for this grade level. Experience and education should be computed as percentages of the overall requirements and must equal 100% when combined.
D. I do not possess the experience or education described above.
For each question, choose the statement from the respective list that best describes your experience and/or training. Mark your selection to that statement in Section 25 of OPM Form 1203-FX. Please select only one letter for each item.
4. Event Planning and Execution - Organizes work, sets priorities, and determines resource requirements; coordinates with other organizations or parts of the organization to accomplish goals; monitors progress and evaluates outcomes.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have reviewed event details, guidelines, or information related to event planning.
C. I have coordinated an internal meeting for organizational leadership including scheduling, room set-up, audio/visual equipment, and facility services.
D. I have planned a large scale event requiring the coordination of internal stakeholders including pre-event meetings, pre-event site inspection, and post-event meetings.
E. I have collaborated with external organizations to plan a large conference or event, including budget, resource requirements, security, and other requirements.
5. Interpersonal skills - Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, disabilities, and other individual differences.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have arranged the proper flags, ceremonial display items, and other requirements for the receiving of a foreign dignitary.
C. I have knowledge of the customs and protocol required to receive foreign dignitaries.
D. I have acted as the point of contact for official visits and special functions either domestically or internationally.
E. I have coordinated the arrival of and acted as an organization's host to foreign dignitaries.
6. Administration and Management - Knowledge of the principles involved in strategic event planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have coordinated events with others within my organization utilizing the support of my supervisor.
C. I have independently coordinated event planning for seminars or conferences within my organization.
D. I have independently coordinated event planning including working with external individuals/groups to complete a project.
E. I have successfully coordinated events/seminars for both large and small groups independently.
7. Problem solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have identified that a problem exists, but needed assistance in resolving the issue.
C. I have recognized a problem and provided options to others for how to address the issue.
D. I have discovered that a problem exists and weighed each possible plan of action before determining how to proceed.
E. I have discovered a problem and considered the possible consequences of each action before determining how to progress.
8. Interpersonal skills - Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, disabilities, and other individual differences.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have built relationships with others through regular interaction.
C. I have acted as the departmental representative to other groups within the organization.
D. I have served as a single point of contact for those external to an organization such as public organizations and trade associations.
E. I have served as an organization's liaison to industry and other outside groups.
9. Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I can be attentive in order to listen to others.
C. I have observed others to obtain relevant information to provide to my team.
D. I have given my full attention in order to understand what others are saying to be able to provide notes to others.
E. I have given my full attention to hear and understand another's point of view, asking questions to clarify my understanding.
10. Negotiating - Works with others towards an agreement; negotiates to find mutually acceptable solutions.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have negotiated with a vendor for an event with the support of a supervisor.
C. I have negotiated with a vendor for an event including equipment, supplies, and facility services.
D. I have experience negotiating with a variety of vendors in order to plan an organizational event from the federal and private sectors.
E. I have altered tactics while negotiating with vendors in order to adapt to changing conditions including dates, number of guests, or event locations.
11. Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, ability to multi-task and deal with unexpected obstacles; effectively deals with ambiguity.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have worked with my supervisor to adapt plans in the presence of issues or changing conditions.
C. I have worked independently to think on the spot and adjust plans when issues or obstacles arise due to changing conditions or new information.
D. I have identified alternatives and delegated actions when unexpected changes or obstacles require a change in plans.
E. I have collaborated with others involved in an event to ensure that the solutions I implement to deal with changes are coordinated with other parts of the event.
12. Oral communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have communicated orally with others to obtain or verify information or to provide routine information.
C. I have communicated orally with internal contacts to coordinate plans or notify them of decisions.
D. I have communicated orally with external organizations to maintain contact and manage the flow of information.
E. I have communicated orally with public organizations or associations to filter and distribute the appropriate information to the appropriate audience.
13. Reading - Understands and interprets written material, as it relates to Protocol issues and other rules and has the ability to apply what is learned from written material to specific situations.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have required the support of others to understand written materials including policies and informational brochures concerning gifts and protocols.
C. I have understood and interpreted organizational policies and programs concerning protocols in order to share the information with others within my organization.
D. I have read and interpreted organizational programs, procedures, and law concerning protocols in order to convey the information with others outside of my organization.
E. I have interpreted pertinent federal laws and regulations concerning gifts and protocols in order to assure that my organization complies.
14. Customer service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have recognized key stakeholders, elicited their input, and understood their feedback while working to complete a project.
C. I have recognized stakeholder feedback, but have needed guidance to understand how to act in order to satisfy their expectations.
D. I have handled complex stakeholder feedback in order to assess their needs and satisfy their expectations.
E. I have followed up with stakeholders after receiving their feedback to ensure that my actions satisfied their expectations.
15. Writing - Recognizes or uses correct English grammar, punctuation, and spelling; communicates information (for example, facts, ideas, or messages) in a succinct and organized manner; produces written information, which may include technical material, that is appropriate for the intended audience.A. I have had no training or experience related to this activity.
B. I have provided written notes summarizing information to my work team.
C. I have prepared written notes or reports that provide status updates to senior leadership.
D. I have prepared speeches that provide organizational information to those external of my organization.
E. I have created new releases, statements, or other informational materials for dissemination and publication.