Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Legal Assistant (Bankruptcy/Office Automation)
Enter the lowest grade level (06-07) you will accept.
GS-06 Salary Range: $37,974 - $49,363
GS-07 Salary Range: $42,199 - $54,862
This is a multiple grade level recruitment. You are encouraged to identify specifically the grade level(s) for which you wish to be considered by indicating your choice(s) on the application package. If you do not specify a grade level, you will only be considered at the highest level for which you are qualified.
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. Selective Placement Factors are part of the minimum requirements for a position. Please indicate from the below responses if you meet the Selective Placement Factor identified for this: At least six (6) months bankruptcy experience is required which exhibits knowledge of bankruptcy regulations and procedures.
Note: Education cannot be substituted for the six months bankruptcy experience requirement.
2. Indicate your level of typing proficiency by choosing the appropriate statement from the list below.A. I type 40 or more words per minute with three or fewer errors based on a five minute sample.
Thank you for your interest in the Legal Assistant (Bankruptcy/OA) position with the Department of Justice.
We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
3. Select the one statement that best describes the experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform the Legal Assistant (Bankruptcy/OA) work at the GS-06 grade level or equivalent pay band in the Federal service.A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level. Specialized experience is defined as: Experience receiving and reviewing bankruptcy petitions and related documents for proper form and timeliness; Experience typing pleadings, motions, and other legal documents from rough draft and/or finalizing documents into final format; Experience entering data from bankruptcy petitions, schedules, and office records into a database.
4. Select the one statement that best describes the experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform the Legal Assistant (Bankruptcy/OA) work at the GS-07 grade level or equivalent pay band in the Federal service.A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level. Specialized experience is defined as: Experience reviewing bankruptcy petitions and schedules for conformance with legal and judicial requirements; Experience preparing legal documents such as trustee appointment notice, bonding certificate, section 341 (a) meeting notices, and any other documents needed to administer the debtor's estate; Experience maintaining bankruptcy case files to ensure all documents and correspondence necessary to reflect the current status of the case are available to the attorneys.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. If you are using the Qualifications and Availability Form C to complete this assessment, darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the form. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
5. Process Chapter 7, 11, and 13 Bankruptcy legal documents.
6. Examine statements of affairs to ensure properly scheduled creditors.
7. Examine statements of affairs to ensure properly scheduled exempt assets.
8. Examine schedules to ensure consistency of asset valuations.
9. Prepare motions to dismiss petitions in the event of a failure to present legally sufficient documentation.
10. Prepare trustee appointment notices to administer debtor's estate.
11. Prepare bonding certificates to administer debtor's estate.
12. Compose letters that explain legal procedures of Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 cases.
13. Review written correspondence to ensure proper format, spelling, and grammar.
14. Verify citations or statutory references from legal documents using online legal resources.
15. Update case files through use of automated case tracking system.
16. Create tables with database application to incorporate into legal documents.
17. Create charts or graphs with spreadsheet application to support courtroom presentation.
18. Maintain case files to ensure they contain sufficient information for legal staff to administer case.
19. Assemble exhibits from case file material.
20. Assemble affidavits from case file material.
21. Screen and prepare case files for record depository according to established procedures.
22. Distribute mail to office staff.
23. Maintain law library to keep references up to date.
24. Obtain missing information from petitioners through oral communication to submit completed legal documents to attorney.
25. Relay information of pending or closed cases to office visitors orally.
26. Provide requested information of pending or closed cases to telephone callers.
This section includes questions related to the verification of your responses and the acknowledgement of your understanding of the selection process. Please respond to the following questions.
27. Your ratings in this questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency, if selected. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning; 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy; 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.A. Yes, I verify that all of my responses to this questionnaire are true and accurate. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my application may be rated lower and/or I may be removed from consideration.
28. I understand that in order to be considered for this position, I must submit a completed application package by the closing date of this announcement. I understand that a completed application package includes 1) a completed online application and occupational questionnaire; 2) a resume; 3) and any supporting documentation for other eligibility considerations, if applicable. Additional instructions for submitting application materials are outlined in the Job Opportunity Announcement.A. Yes, I understand the statement above.
29. I understand that I will be eliminated from consideration if I have not followed all of the in instructions and requirements outlined in the Job Opportunity Announcement.A. Yes, I understand the statement above.