Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice (DOJ). Your response to this assessment questionnaire, in conjunction with other portions of your completed application, will be evaluated in making screening decisions.
This is a DOJ job application system. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this application. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
For each of the following questions, please select the response that best describes your education and/or experience. You may select only one response for each question. If you feel that your education or experience exceeds all of the descriptions for a particular question, choose the description that is the closest level to the experience or education that you possess. Failure to respond to these questions will result in an ineligible rating.
1. From the description below, select the response that BEST describes the experience you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS08 Legal Assistant (OA).A. I have at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS07 level in Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of duties: examining, preparing and processing legal forms and documents; preparing indictments, prosecution memoranda, complaints, motions, pleadings, subpoenas or other hearing and/or trial documents accurately and in proper format; verifying citations and statutory references contained in legal forms/documents; conducting research of records, references or historical material; assisting with discovery, hearing or trial preparations by compiling trial notebooks or witness/exhibit lists; and using automated software to produce legal related reports and documents, such as developing tables of contents and indices of briefs.
2. Indicated your level of typing proficiency by choosing the appropriate statement below. A typing test may be administered at a later time in the process.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have no experience in performing this work behavior.
3. Using knowledge of laws, regulations and guidelines to process legal actions.
4. Drafting legal documents, e.g. indictments, pleadings, prosecution memoranda, subpoenas.
5. Reviewing incoming material and determining need for correspondence or legal documents, e.g. motions, orders, pleadings, subpoenas.
6. Determining format and required content based on applicable rules and regulations governing documents involved.
7. Initiating actions based on analysis of case situation or circumstances of documentation submitted.
8. Exercising discretion and judgment in determining what information may be released and to whom.
9. Composing original letters to transmit pleadings, notices to defense attorneys and other case matters.
10. Using correct English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling to communicate thoughts, ideas, and information in writing.
11. Using correct English grammar to organize and communicate ideas in words appropriate to listeners and situations.
12. Requesting evidence and obtaining needed information.
13. Serving as liaison between internal and external agencies/organizations or individuals.
14. Adapting to changes in work settings.
15. Working with others to accomplish goals.
16. Recommending internal procedures pertinent to legal assistance functions.
17. Making extensive searches of records, references, or historical material.
18. Assisting with case management through maintaining calendars, tracking case timelines and status reports.
19. Preparing materials needed for planning strategies on cases selected for prosecution.
20. Compiling and indexing bibliographies of source material, and verifying citations and statutory references.
21. Compiling, organizing, and indexing various evidentiary exhibits.
22. Setting goals and managing time.
23. Examining various legal documents and making processing determinations based on review.
24. Analyzing and reviewing investigative reports and evidence received in comparison with case needs.
25. Using various office automation software applications to prepare documents with tables, graphs, or graphics.
26. Using online legal resources to obtain information accessible over internet from various sources.
27. Using database applications to enter, update, or close out stored data.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
28. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history and a pre-employment drug screening, is required for this position.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Top of Form
Bottom of Form