I have a degree in the physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
1. Do you meet the basic education requirements for this position?
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, applicants must also possess the amounts of education and/or experience required for the applicable grade level as required below.
2. Select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a Forensic Chemist at the GS-05 level.
3. Select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a Forensic Chemist at the GS-07 level.
4. Select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a Forensic Chemist at the GS-09 level.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. If faxing in the Occupational Questionnaire, Form 1203-FX, darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the form.
5. Serves as a liaison on technical issues, in order to communicate clear and concise procedural information to others.
6. Assists in the preparation of presentations and the communication of the facts and issues being addressed.
7. Provides instruction on routine and established matters.
8. Testifies in court as an expert witness, on laboratory findings, data collection and scientific methods and techniques.
9. Explains routine technical procedures and thoughts.
10. Actively participates in formal and informal discussion groups to obtain and clarify information of a factual nature from a variety of sources both within and outside the organizational unit.
11. Composes in depth laboratory reports in a logical and concise matter.
12. Prepares routine letters, emails; reviews correspondence for spelling, grammar, and typographical errors.
13. Composes documents of a non-technical nature to explain and summarize detailed research data or information.
14. Responds to basic questions, inquires and requests on information routine matters.
15. Composes detailed laboratory reports to illustrate findings on tests performed, calculations, conclusions, and extracted data on status of a simple system or system component.
16. Develops detail, in-depth documents of a technical nature to explain and summarize detailed research, scientific data or information.
17. Researches applicable publications, guidelines, and regulations.
18. Interprets data for use in reports or case preparation according to detailed specifications provided by the supervisor or higher-grade employee.
19. Interprets data for use in reports or case preparation according to detailed specifications.
20. Uses established scientific methods, federal laws, and laboratory guidelines, to coordinate with other agency officials to carry out in-depth technical projects.
21. Performs a wide variety of chemical and physical analysis on known substances to determine if the samples contained a known drug or controlled substance
22. Uses laboratory instruments and established procedures to perform scientific tests on tablets, capsules, powders, liquids, plant materials, and other substances.
23. Performs routine fact finding studies to evaluate information from an array specified sources
24. Using standardized methods assist senior chemist in analyzing chemical properties and reaction of such properties by performing toxicology tests a variety of sample substances.
25. Prepares routine documents by using a variety of common sources and disseminated to targeted program groups.
26. Participates in scientific studies of an analytical nature.
27. Participates in special projects, operations preparations and performing standardized tests.
28. Uses established scientific methods, federal laws, and laboratory guidelines, to coordinate with other agency officials to carry out in-depth technical projects.
29. Performs in scientific investigations completing routine maintenance, calibration, testing, and operation of equipment.
Past performance is one of the best indicators of your ability to perform effectively in the competency areas described for this position. Review and select the statement below that describes the level of formal PERFORMANCE RECOGNITION you have most recently received.
30. Have you received a performance appraisal in one or more of the competencies described for the position?
Past performance is one of the best indicators of your ability to perform effectively in the competency areas described for this position. Review and select the statement below that describes the AWARDS you have received within the last year.
31. Have you received any awards related to one or more of the competencies described for the position?
32. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.