1. From the descriptions below (A through D), please select one response that best describes how your background meets the basic experience or education requirements for a Park Guide, GS-0090-04 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these minimum qualifications, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.
Selective Placement Factor - Handling money
2. In addition to the minimum qualifications described above, selectees must be able collect and account for money. Please select the response below that best describes your qualifications in this area. If you do not meet the requirements of this selective factor, you will be rated ineligible for these positions. You MUST submit documentation of how you meet this requirement, as indicated below, to be considered qualified for this position.
Do you have experience collecting and accounting for monies?
Ability to communicate orally to diverse groups and in a variety of settings.
For the questions below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The questions were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.
Be sure to describe your experience that supports your answers to the questions below, in your resume or application materials. It is important that your application package submitted, including a resume or application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skill levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
3. Provide positive and productive interactions with a diverse public representing a cross-section of the nation and other Countries to include: different cultures; ages; social, ethnic, and economic groups; etc.
4. Present informational talks, guided tours, and demonstrations, following a prescribed outline, to various audiences to inform or educate.
5. Respond verbally to customers' inquiries for information, direction, and/or guidance.
Ability to communicate effectively and provide excellent customer service (Interpersonal skills).
6. Provide direction, information, and orientation about services or activities of interest to the public.
7. Serve as a front-line representative of the organization to greet customers and answer questions.
8. Educate customers regarding rules, regulations, and safety concerns to gain compliance.
9. Direct customers with problems, questions, or complaints to the appropriate person.
10. Interact with others to resolve complaints and conflicts.
11. Work independently handling stressful or controversial situations.
Skill in daily operation of a busy visitor center/information desk, or similar facility to include providing frontline information and support services.
12. Work in a visitor center or information kiosk in a park, historical site, outdoor education center, public gardens, or comparable informational visitor-oriented operation.
13. Explain the significance of an area's facility's natural, cultural, historic, or other resources (for example, provided interesting and informative facts and background about the topic or feature).
14. Stock an information desk and displays with brochures, etc., for visitor handouts and keep information desk orderly.
15. Keep informational bulletin boards up-to-date and in a well-kept, attractive state.
16. Assist the public in planning visits to and recommending activities in the area.
17. Suggest brochures, books, or informational materials in response to visitor interest in a particular resource or historic feature.
18. Respond to mail, email, and telephone information requests.
19. Provide current, accurate information to visitors concerning the surrounding areas of interest, such as the area's recreational opportunities and available interpretive services, activities, or presentations.
20. Operate standard office equipment other than computers (such as telephone, fax, photocopier, calculator) to accomplish work.
21. Ensure supplies, materials, and other support items are available for business operations.
Ability to deliver resource conservation and/or historical information through prescribed talks/demonstrations and provide guide services to parties of small size (up to 20 people).
22. Assist in making interpretive products (such as preparing labels or signs) for natural, historical, or cultural programs, publications, or exhibits.
23. Utilize interpretive techniques (such as metaphors, storytelling, analogies) suggested by others to facilitate intellectual and/or emotional connections between audiences' interests and their surroundings.
24. Conduct limited research for educational purposes to verify obscure facts and answer inquiries.
25. Present pre-established interpretive programs to parties of small size (up to 20 people).
26. As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning, 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.