Minimum Qualifications GS-04
1. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the basic experience and/or education requirements for a Visitor Services Assistant, GS-0303-04 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these minimum qualifications, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position. Your application materials must support the answers you claim in this assessment. If not, you will be found not qualified or your score will be lowered.
Interpersonal Skills - Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations.
For each of the following tasks, choose the statement from the list below that best describe your experience and/or training. Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and demonstrated capability. You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification based on the resume, narratives, and other relevant documents you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your stated level of experience and demonstrated capability. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position following acceptance.A- I have not had education, training, or experience in performing this task.
2. Provide information to the public concerning an area or location (e.g., points of interest, available services, rules and guidelines, maps or directions, etc.).
3. Provide public orientation to a park or recreation area (e.g., current events, resource management or environmental projects, and overview of areas natural, cultural, and/or historical resources).
4. Initiate resource-related conversations with park or recreation area visitors to encourage compliance with resource regulations.
5. Work on job related tasks with co-workers in confined areas.
6. Share new and important information with other co-workers.
7. Deal with a high volume of customer and visitor contacts while maintaining a professional demeanor.
8. Answer recurring visitor questions while maintaining a professional demeanor.
9. Resolve customer or visitor complaints by taking corrective action or referring the issue to a supervisor when appropriate.
10. Demonstrate job tasks to new employees.
11. Guide activities for a small group of employees or volunteers (5-10 people).
Speaking - Uses correct English grammar to organize and communicate ideas in words that are appropriate to listeners and situations; uses body language appropriately.
12. Provide information to the public using information or materials on management policies, and legislative updates on issues affecting the natural, historical, and/or cultural preservation of the area.
13. Explain the significance and encourage stewardship of the area's natural, cultural, and/or historical resources for public awareness.
14. Provide procedure or technique training to the public to preserve the area's natural, historical and cultural resources (e.g., Leave No Trace).
15. Communicate orally in person, and/or over the phone to provide information to the public or others within the organization.
16. Explain the importance of rules or regulations concerning the protection of the area's resources, and/or the safety of visitors.
17. Promote an organization's program and services to encourage public interest.
Technology Application - Uses machines, tools, or equipment effectively; uses computers and computer applications to analyze and communicate information in the appropriate format.
18. Operate audiovisual and electronic equipment (e.g., film projectors, DVD players, computers, etc.) to provide information to others.
19. Use internet for research and email application.
20. Operate general computer software programs such as, word processing, spreadsheet, or database (e.g., Excel, Access, Word, or similar operating systems).
Flexibility - Adapts quickly to changes. Is open to change and new information.
21. Gather information from reporting parties concerning accidents/incidents within the area to notify appropriate personnel.
22. Restrict access to an area during emergency situations (e.g., roping off areas, directing traffic, crowd control, etc).
23. Conduct patrols and projects in extreme environmental conditions using navigational aides such as, GPS, maps, and a compass.
24. Perform emergency medical treatment appropriate for current level of training and responsibility.
Arithmetic - Performs computations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division correctly using whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percentages.
25. Collect cooperating association fees at a visitor center and/or other visitor contact stations following established guidelines for handling funds.
26. Perform mathematical calculations to make change during sales transactions.
27. Operate equipment (e.g., electronic cash register, credit card machine, calculator, typewriters, computers, and/or point of sale systems) to collect and track various forms of payment (e.g., cash, credit cards, checks, etc.).
28. Verify transaction records, including money collected and stock sold, to complete shift reports.
29. Verify accountability of funds or stock during shift changes.
30. Take precautions with funds collected or stock to safeguard from theft, fraud, and misuse.
31. As previously explained, your ratings in this Occupational Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning, 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy, and 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability. Failure to agree to this statement will disqualify you from further consideration for the position.