Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Paralegal Specialist (Bankruptcy)
Enter the lowest grade level (09-09) you will accept.
GS-09 Salary Range: $48,529 - $63,083
GS-11 Salary Range: $58,715 - $76,327
This is a multiple grade level recruitment. You are encouraged to identify specifically the grade level(s) for which you wish to be considered by indicating your choice(s) on the application package. If you do not specify a grade level, you will only be considered at the highest level for which you are qualified.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise, you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. Selective Placement Factors are part of the minimum requirements for a position. Please indicate from the below responses if you meet the Selective Placement Factor identified for this: At least six (6) months bankruptcy experience is required which exhibits knowledge of bankruptcy regulations and procedures.
Note: Education cannot be substituted for the six months bankruptcy experience requirement.
2. From the descriptions below, select the letter, which describes your experience as a Paralegal Specialist, GS-09A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level. My experience includes the following: reviewing Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy petitions and schedules for debtor compliance with substantive and procedural requirements and technical accuracy; drafting motions, routine judicial pleadings, various types of memoranda, notices, etc.; and developing draft motions for default of judgment to reopen a case, defer payment of fees, and complaints objecting.
In this part, you will respond to questions about experiences you have had that are related to the requirements of the job for which you are applying. Carefully review the response descriptions listed below. For each question or statement, select the one response description that best describes your experience, education, or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Provide research support to the legal staff ensuring cases comply with applicable laws and regulations.
4. Examine debtor-provided documents, e.g., financial statements, reports, inventories, invoices, and employee data, for the purposes of determining relevance to the case and legal sufficiency.
5. Identify discrepant, missing, or erroneous information that may indicate such issues as fraud or payment of improper fees and expenses.
6. Perform analysis of facts and applicable law and regulations regarding case-related technical issues raised by parties in the bankruptcy process, e.g., debtors and their counsel, and Bankruptcy Court officials.
7. Participate with senior staff in monitoring the performance of panel trustees, e.g., by reviewing Trustee's Final Reports/Accounts and Final Distribution Reports in asset cases to ensure proper administration of the estate.
8. Review and analyze petitions, schedules and statements of financial affairs for procedural compliance, deficiencies and evidence of illegality.
9. Monitor cases including the review of correspondence, motions, objections, and various routine judicial pleadings and papers.
10. Participate in case review meetings.
11. Respond to issues generally settled by interpretation of law, regulation, precedent and agency policy.
12. Keep appropriate staff members informed about the current status of legal cases.
13. Serve as the contact person for assigned cases and provide information and assistance concerning status of relevant procedural issues.
14. Assist attorneys and analysts in administering cases and preparing cases for trial.
15. Advise attorneys and staff members of the results of investigations of allegations of abuse.
16. Analyze research to determine how the results affect the case at hand in order to contribute to the preparation of briefs, memoranda, and related reports and documents.
17. Monitor the progress of pending cases and initiates action to ensure that legal pleadings, forms, reports, correspondence, and other documents are prepared and submitted within established guidelines.
18. Audit a variety of other reports and legal documents to assure adequacy and accuracy.
19. Assist senior staff in developing motions for default of judgment and other legal actions as appropriate, e.g., to defer payment of fees or complaints objecting to discharge.
20. Provide support in the preparation of legal correspondence, including motions, routine pleadings, letters, and various memoranda.
21. Carry out legal research in support of relatively straightforward bankruptcy cases, e.g., those filed under title 7, U.S.C.
22. Conduct factual research related to public corporations, and corporate governance related to a defined segment of a case, or segment of a larger legal issue.
23. Collect documentary evidence and arrange case files and related documents for use in a variety of legal proceedings.
24. Research issues that are novel, ambiguous, or precedent-setting for responses by an appropriate United States Trustee Program official.
25. Access original and online legal resources in order to verify citations and statutory references contained in legal documents.
26. Conduct preliminary analysis of the legal sufficiency of information contained in pleadings, monthly operating reports, disclosure statements, employment and fee applications, and other documents.
This section includes questions related to the verification of your responses and the acknowledgement of your understanding of the selection process. Please respond to the following questions.
27. Your ratings in this questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency, if selected. Please take this opportunity to review your ratings to ensure their accuracy. By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you: 1) understand this warning; 2) have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy; 3) verify that your responses accurately describe your current level of experience and capability.A. Yes, I verify that all of my responses to this questionnaire are true and accurate. I accept that if my supporting documentation and/or later steps in the selection process do not support one or more of my responses to the questionnaire that my application may be rated lower and/or I may be removed from consideration.
28. I understand that in order to be considered for this position, I must submit a completed application package by the closing date of this announcement. I understand that a completed application package includes 1) a completed online application and occupational questionnaire; 2) a resume; 3) and any supporting documentation for other eligibility considerations, if applicable. Additional instructions for submitting application materials are outlined in the Job Opportunity Announcement.A. Yes, I understand the statement above.
29. I understand that I will be eliminated from consideration if I have not followed all of the in instructions and requirements outlined in the Job Opportunity Announcement.A. Yes, I understand the statement above.