Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice (DOJ). Your response to this assessment questionnaire, in conjunction with other portions of your completed application, will be evaluated in making screening decisions.
This is a DOJ job application system. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this application. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
For each of the following questions, please select the response that best describes your education and/or experience. You may select only one response for each question. If you feel that your education or experience exceeds all of the descriptions for a particular question, choose the description that is the closest level to the experience or education that you possess. Failure to respond to these questions will result in an ineligible rating.
1. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the experience you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-0950-12, Lead Paralegal Specialist.
Identify the specific experience from your resume or cover letter that validates your response. Also list the name and contact information of someone who can verify your response.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.
2. Verify citations and references contained in legal documents using sources or databases such as LexisNexis, Westlaw, or Federal regulations.
3. Prepare feedback on the content of legal documents such as case files, dockets, legal briefs, or court opinions.
4. Skill in locating, indexing, and retrieving materials in order to develop an effective system for the purpose of discovery and exhibit lists.
5. Attend pre-trial hearings and conferences to assist in gathering necessary facts.
6. Act as a consultant at trial by coordinating pre-trial preparation and courtroom set-up.
7. Oversee a diverse staff to coordinate assignments and ensure adequate coverage when called upon by the supervisor.
8. Shadow and mentor new employees by providing guidance on electronic discovery, desktop overview, case management, legal research and cite/record checking.
9. Assign and coordinate work assignments for a team of paralegals, interns and students.
10. Provide advice to attorney and other legal support staff on efficient ways to prepare, present and maintain a variety of legal documents.
11. Coordinate actions with other Federal agencies involved in cases in order to facilitate investigation and prosecution.
12. Prepare exhibits for trial which involve visual materials such as charts, diagrams, photographs and models.
13. Identify and coordinate training needs such as Westlaw, LexisNexis, NAC and IT training classes.
14. Train staff on using legal research tools and databases such as Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, Concordance and Sanctions.
15. Train and assist staff conducting legal research, cite/record checking, and drafting legal pleadings.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
16. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history and a pre-employment drug screening, is required for this position.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you
provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment
Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all
necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department