Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
The Vacancy Identification Number is: 837132
Legal Assistant (OA)
Enter the lowest grade level (05-07) you will accept.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
The occupational specialty will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one occupational specialty code for this position. The specialty code for this position is:
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are intrested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice (DOJ). Your response to this assessment questionnaire, in conjunction with other portions of your completed application, will be evaluated in making screening decisions.
This is a DOJ job application system. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this application. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
For each of the following three questions, please select the response that best describes your education and/or experience. You may select only one response for each question. If you feel that your education or experience exceeds all of the descriptions for a particular question, choose the description that is the closest level to the experience or education that you possess. Failure to respond to these questions will result in an ineligible rating.
1. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-5 Legal Assistant (Office Automation)
2. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-6 Legal Assistant (Office Automation)
3. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-7 Legal Assistant (Office Automation)
Identify the specific experience from your resume or cover letter that validates your response. Also list the name and contact information of someone who can verify your response.
4. Indicate your level of typing proficiency by choosing the appropriate statement below. A typing test may be administered at a later time in the hiring process.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.
5. Makes recommendations and revisions of office procedures to improve the docketing functions and to expedite case processing.
6. Accepts service of legal documents from opposing counsel or representatives, enters pertinent information into the database, and routes appropriately.
7. Retrieves information from automated database using query routines, or from hard copy reports to respond to telephone calls on case status.
8. Provides assistance in obtaining and interpreting information from data base systems.
9. Maintains a docketing calendar for an attorney's office.
10. Identifies omissions, inconsistencies and/or inaccuracies within existing automated case records and research in order to correct entries.
11. Utilizes automation to extracts statistical data on a regularly or ad hoc basis.
12. Maintains and extracts data from an automated docketing data base.
13. Reviews case files ensuring information in an automated system is accurate and complete.
14. Produces a variety of written documents and materials utilizing a wide range of office automation applications.
15. Utilizes a computerized case tracking and record-keeping system to develop and perform docketing and legal report.
16. Utilizes computers and computer software to communicate information in the appropriate format.
17. Gathers, organizes and maintains confidential information pertaining to criminal and/or civil cases.
18. Develops and maintains automated records for criminal or civil workloads from initial referral to final disposition.
19. Ensures proper format, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar on legal correspondence.
20. Utilizes a database system to identify relevant information on cases, (e.g. assigned attorney, receipt data and status of the case).
21. Maintains calendars and tracks legal deadlines and court appearances.
22. Maintains filing or information management systems to meet organizational standards.
23. Maintains an automated record system for civil cases.
24. Maintains an automated record system for civil cases.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
25. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history and a pre-employment drug screening, is required for this position.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you
provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment
Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all
necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department