If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service?
For information on who is required to register for the Selective Service, please visit The Who Must Register Page
Thank you for your interest in the Health Scientist Administrator, GS-601-13/14 position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic requirements for a Health Scientist Administrator as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position because I have completed all of the requirements for a Ph.D. (or equivalent doctoral degree), in an accredited college or university, including acceptance of the dissertation, in an academic field of the health or pertinent sciences (i.e., biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, etc.) allied to health or health related research.
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic requirements for a Health Scientist Administrator as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position because I have worked independently in planning, organizing, and conducting biomedical behavioral health, or health-related research; served effectively, in research program administration in these fields; and acquired an understanding of the history, interests, internal dynamics, and relationships of organizations in which health research is conducted.
3. Do you have at least one year of independent health research beyond the doctoral degree and one year of health research program administration experience?A. Yes
4. Select the response that best reflects the highest level of education you have attained.A. Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree
5. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the qualification requirements for a Health Scientist Administrator GS-601-13 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. Academic Environment - the management of significant independent research projects (analogous to an R01 and R29 grant) and supervision of graduate researcher or technicians; publications in refereed journals, presenting published work to scientific organizations and teaching graduate level courses in biomedical/behavioral or health-related disciplines; served as a reviewer on peer-review panels or journals; held position of Assistant or Associate Professor or equivalent.
6. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the qualification requirements for a Health Scientist Administrator GS-601-14 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. Academic Environment - served as an appointed member of a scientific peer-review panel or editorial board; held position of Associate Professor, Professor, or equivalent.
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) - I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities PageA. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps. For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
Please indicate your area(s) of scientific expertise.
Please list the major field of study for the highest level of education you have attained.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Provide advice to government agencies, private firms, or other organizations regarding basic, clinical, or biomedical research involving HIV/AIDS.
2. Manage the development of organizational or research group policies in response to changes in levels of funding or legislative/ program changes.
3. Analyze trends and new scientific fields to assess the adequacy of research being conducted and/or proposed in a given area.
4. Analyze the scientific merit of current and/or projected research programs.
5. Establish or participate in panels to review research proposals or reports, including the criteria and standards for the panel to follow.
6. Direct a group or team conducting research in HIV/AIDS or a related field.
7. Identify and recommend the program direction of new research related to HIV/AIDS.
8. Recommend funding levels for new research.
9. Monitor scientific progress of research or clinical programs to assure that objectives are met.
10. Manage research fund distribution amongst competing interests within an organization.
11. Propose a comprehensive and cohesive research plan outlining the direction and long term goals to be accomplished.
12. Prepare major components of original research papers or reviews related to HIV/AIDS research.
13. Write reports, evaluations, summary statements, or correspondence as a part of a review process.
14. Identify gaps in existing scientific knowledge and provide recommendations for future research efforts in written reports.
15. Present briefings on research to high level officials providing multiple alternatives and advice on the best course of action.
16. Present scientific papers or reports at national and/or international conferences as an invited speaker.
17. Review scientific papers, reports, or manuscripts prior to submission.
For the following questions, please indicate YES or NO to best describe your experience.
18. Have you provided guidance or interpreted regulations and funding policies regarding biomedical, behavioral health, or health-related research?A. Yes
19. Have you functioned as an organizational liaison by explaining policies and procedures to scientific staff in federal agencies, private companies, or academia?A. Yes
20. Have you planned work assignments for colleagues or team members?A. Yes
21. Have you coached or mentored staff, students, or post-doctoral fellows to achieve desired goals?A. Yes
22. Have you organized and facilitated scientific meetings, conferences or workshops?A. Yes
23. Have you reported on the progress of research programs, studies, or trials to senior management?A. Yes
24. Have you managed and directed multiple projects concurrently in progress?A. Yes
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
25. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.