Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you an ICTAP Eligible?
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification?
Are you eligible for preference based on being a Public Law 94-437 Indian Health Service Scholarship recipient? For more information, please click here.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Are you a PHS Commissioned Officer (This includes active duty officers, inactive reserve officers, and applicants who have been approved for commissioning in the USPHS Commissioned Corps)?
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 11.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your education and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Research Microbiologist, GS-403-11.A. Degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
2. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Research Microbiologist, GS-403-11.A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience in organizing and maintaining a laboratory, maintaining inventories and protocols; experience in laboratory biosafety level 3 and 4; concepts of molecular virology, replication and genetics and evolution of poxviruses.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Perform various techniques to rapidly identify and characterize microbiological agents that cause a number of diseases.
4. Has completed training and certifications to conduct work within Biosafety Level 3 and 4 laboratories.
5. Perform manipulations of infectious microbiological agents within Biosafety Level 3 laboratories in a safe manner.
6. Perform manipulations of infectious microbiological agents within Biosafety Level 4 laboratories in a safe manner.
7. Experience with handling/sampling animals infected with microbiological agents within Biosafety Level 3 or 4 laboratories.
8. Plan the sequence, direction, and progress of work.
9. Modify standard study methods and requirements, practices, or techniques or existing guide to address current and evolving problems or issues.
10. Identify methods and procedures to collect data, and conducts experiments and studies.
11. Ensure that incoming specimens are processed and triaged maintaining "chain-of-custody."
12. Apply knowledge of the technical rules and procedures applying to scientific projects and programs to document and prepare analyses and reports of findings for tests and studies.
13. Investigate, analyze, and evaluate problems and situations involving a wide variety of circumstances or unusual conditions for activities carried out in the scientific area.
14. Use standard technology.
15. Perform experiments in accordance with approved methods and procedures.
16. Adapt at following standard operating procedures and documenting GLP-like experiments.
17. Evaluate progress of the experiment to determine whether data generated are accurate and valid.
18. Identify unusual or unexpected results and their probable causes.
19. Respond to questions for inclusion in a comprehensive report on study findings.
20. Provide training in the use of laboratory equipment and proper laboratory procedures.
21. Brief colleagues and higher level managers and executive on technical topics.
22. Prepare reports on scientific investigations, studies and projects.
23. Prepare a wide variety of charts, graphs, manuscripts, spreadsheets, etc. to report on study results and note any inconsistencies or area where the data appears inconclusive.
24. Write articles, position papers, summaries, answers to frequently asked questions, or briefs on findings from scientific research for scientific and non-scientific audiences.
25. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.