I have a degree in the physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
1. Do you meet the basic education requirements for this position?
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, applicants must also possess the amounts of education and/or experience required for the applicable grade level as required below.
2. Select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a Chemist, at the GS-11 level.
3. Select the ONE response that BEST describes the experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a Chemist, at the GS-12 level.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. If faxing in the Occupational Questionnaire, Form 1203-FX, darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the form.
4. Interacts with individuals internal and external to an organization at a variety of levels.
5. Provides expert advice to legal counsel issues involving drug chemistry.
6. Testifies in Federal and/or state court as an "expert witness"; presenting technical testimony in layman's terms.
7. Actively participates in discussion groups to obtain and clarify information of a factual nature from a variety of sources both within and outside the organizational unit.
8. Briefs upper management on issues pertaining to scientific and technical matters.
9. Develops comprehensive reports and various other correspondences for senior level managerial staff.
10. Develops and writes policy on scientific issues in support of legal cases of significant public interests.
11. Composes comprehensive documents of a technical nature to explain and summarize detailed research and scientific data or information.
12. Composes adverse findings notices, congressional responses and notices of citations.
13. Creates rough copy responses of letters of seizures, prosecutions, injunctions, regulatory, and warning letters.
14. Composes detailed laboratory reports to illustrate findings on tests performed, calculations, conclusions, and extracted data on status of a simple system or system component.
15. Develops detailed in-depth documents of a technical nature to explain and summarize detailed research, scientific data or information.
16. Performs detailed laboratory tests and analysis of complex samples, requiring modifications of established methods, and interpretations of findings.
17. Determines the presence and nature of unknown, non-controlled substances based on the results of previous examinations or investigations.
18. Compiles facts for studies or research, and selects and evaluates information from a variety of specified sources in accordance with established procedures and criteria.
19. Uses established scientific methods, federal laws, and laboratory guidelines, to coordinate with other agency officials to carry out in-depth technical projects.
20. Uses laboratory instruments and established procedures to perform scientific tests on tablets, capsules, powders, liquids, plant materials, and other substances.
21. Serves as a chemistry expert in regulatory areas involving the Controlled Substances Act.
22. Reviews in-depth scientific and technical data for a variety of regulated drugs or related chemical substances.
23. Uses established procedures and laboratory policies to perform complex evaluations and inspections of regulated chemical.
24. Evaluates technical data submitted in support of regulated chemicals or areas to monitor safety and effectiveness; and to detect regulatory violations.
25. Evaluates routine scientific and technical data and documentation in areas that required substantial interpretation and knowledge of chemistry, as well as related laws, regulations, policies, and/or precedents.
26. Serves as a senior chemist in an accredited forensic laboratory responsible for maintaining compliance records (e.g. reagent logbook, instrument maintenance, method validation).
27. Maintains strict chain of custody and security procedures in handling, analysis, and preservation of evidence.
28. Monitors levels of compliance to regulations to propose appropriate enforcement sanctions for non-compliant entities.
29. Assists in enforcement activities such as clandestine laboratory seizures, ion scans, and vacuum sweep searches for controlled drugs or related chemicals.
30. Evaluates and interprets comprehensive reports and findings of evidence, to recommends changes to policies, procedures service delivery based on reports and evidence to develop in-depth solutions for compliance with Federal, state and local regulations and standards.
31. Reviews complex inspection or investigation reports.
32. Assesses quality control and analyzes reports to develop or modify new techniques, or existing lab processes and procedures.
Past performance is one of the best indicators of your ability to perform effectively in the competency areas described for this position. Review and select the statement below that describes the level of formal PERFORMANCE RECOGNITION you have most recently received.
33. Have you received a performance appraisal in one or more of the competencies described for the position?
Past performance is one of the best indicators of your ability to perform effectively in the competency areas described for this position. Review and select the statement below that describes the AWARDS you have received within the last year.
34. Have you received any awards related to one or more of the competencies described for the position?
35. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.