Enter your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however, we can not process your application without it.
Enter Librarian (Law)
Enter the lowest grade level (09-12) you will accept.
You may omit the availability date if you can begin work immediately. Otherwise, you must provide the date you will be available for employment. Please use this format: (mm/dd/yyyy)
Select the Occupational Specialty Code that identifies how you would like to receive consideration for this position. Applicants requesting consideration as a merit promotion, Schedule A, or non-competitive eligible candidate must include the appropriate required supporting documents with their application package.
The Specialty code(s) for this position are 001 and 002. Please note that you must select at least one specialty code but may select multiple codes if desired. Each code is defined below:
001 - Merit Promotion. This includes current Federal employees who serve under a competitive career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service, reinstatement eligibles (former Federal employees who served under a career appointment in the competitive service) and VEOA eligibles (veterans with preference and veterans who have been honorably discharged and substantially completed at least 3 years of continuous active duty service. You must provide qualifying documentation (i.e. - SF-50, performance appraisal and/or veterans documentation).
002 - Non competitive and Special Hiring Authorities. This includes applicants who are eligible for non competitive or special appointment authorities such as: 30% or more compensably disabled veterans, Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA - for position at GS-11 and below), and persons with disabilities (Schedule A), military spouse preference, Federal employees in excepted position covered under an interchange agreement, and other eligible special hiring authorities (such as Peace Corps, Boren Fellows, etc.). This also includes applicants who previously held, or currently hold, this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced this 841922. For more information about special hiring authorities, visit: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp. You must provide qualifying documentation for a non competitive or special hiring authority.
The geographic location code will be selected for you if there is only one, otherwise, select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the descriptions below, choose the letter beside the statement that BEST describes your education relevant to this position. SELECT ONE LETTER ONLY. NOTE (See "Are You Using Your Education to Qualify" Section to meet the education requirement.)A. I possess 1 full academic year of graduate study in library science in an accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor's degree;
2. From the descriptions below, choose the letter beside the statement that BEST describes your education or experience relevant to the GS-1410-09 . SELECT ONE LETTER ONLY. NOTE (See "Are You Using Your Education to Qualify" Section to meet the education requirement.)A. I possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to that of the GS-07 level, demonstrating a knowledge of the standard methods, techniques, concepts and principles of one or more specialty areas of librarianship to perform independent assignments in locating, classifying, selecting, controlling, or preserving information; ability with a wide variety of manual and electronic legal and legislative information resources and knowledge of collections of large research libraries and special collections as well as knowledge of outside resources including government bodies; assist users and explain procedures and regulations governing use and handling of materials in the collection.
3. From the descriptions below, choose the letter beside the statement that BEST describes your education or experience relevant to the GS-1410-11. SELECT ONE LETTER ONLY. NOTE (See "Are You Using Your Education to Qualify" Section to meet the education requirement.)A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to that of the GS-09 level, demonstrating a knowledge of the theories, objectives, and principles of library and information services; excellent ability with a wide variety of manual and electronic legal and legislative information resources to locate information, often of a specialized or technical nature, from a wide variety of published and unpublished sources; participating and assisting in conducting limited user evaluations of existing and emerging information technology resources; monitoring the quality of preserved materials to ensure adherence to established standards and specifications.
4. From the descriptions below, choose the letter beside the statement that BEST describes your education or experience relevant to the GS-1410-12. SELECT ONE LETTER ONLY.A. I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to that of the GS-11 level, locating information often of a specialized or technical nature, from a wide variety of published and unpublished sources; clarifying vague requests for materials through the use of proper and/or specialized bibliographic tools; preparing basic finding aids and related written products describing legal and legislative research methodologies; interpreting and advising on the contents of a collection, both cataloged and un-catalogued, covering current and retrospective items; planning and/or managing several or all functions of an established legal research collection, such as materials on federal laws, business and economics, or public administration, or a contractor reading room.
In this part, you will respond to questions about experiences you have had that are related to the requirements of the job for which you are applying. Carefully review the response descriptions listed below. For each question or statement, select the one response description that best describes your experience, education, or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
5. Produce selected and annotated bibliographies on specific subjects using knowledge of information sources including the structure, content, and access protocols or relevant databases.
6. Compile information packages for clientele, preparing a broad range or literature guides, and developing resource directories, in both paper and electronic format.
7. Select items from periodicals for inclusion in special interest reference files.
8. Provide instruction to staff and/or library patrons on the content, nature, and use of library resources, including how to search print materials and various databases and other electronic media.
9. Provide legal and legislative reference services utilizing technically complex resources and specialized finding aids.
10. Respond to United States legal and legislative reference inquiries from Members of Congress, congressional committees, the White House, federal courts, Government agencies, libraries, the bar, and/or the general public.
11. Identify primary and secondary source legal and legislative information relative to United States federal and state law and legislative proposals.
12. Prepare written responses to federal and state legal and legislative reference inquiries requiring tailored responses.
13. Participate in and assist in conducting limited user evaluations of existing and emerging information technology resources.
14. Gather and process data on usage and cost of information technology resources.
15. Serve as Local Area Network (LAN) administrator for an organization.
16. Modify and edit online records, inputting information into an automated data file.
17. Implement a comprehensive automated system for charging, discharging, filing, locating, and/or managing library materials.
18. Carry out assignment requiring considerable knowledge in a subject area such as a field of literature, an academic discipline, a foreign language, or a library specialty (e.g., serials, cataloging, or preservation).
19. Interpret and/or advise the contents or a collection, both catalogued and un-catalogued, covering current and retrospective items.
20. Prepare justifications for acquiring new or additional materials for the collection.
21. Monitor the quality of preserved materials to ensure adherence to established standards and specifications.
22. Decide appropriate treatment for deteriorating items and those requiring special needs.
23. Plan and/or execute the development and source selection for library collections.
24. Survey and/or evaluate assigned collections to identify and resolve frequently encountered problems, issues, or questions.
25. Recommend alternative titles to and the removal of titles from assigned portions of the library reference conditions.
26. As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.